The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 6, 2001, 08:31 AM   #1
magnum_force

Opinions needed on Remington 870 marine magnum shotgun. What are the pros and cons of owning a Remington 870 marine magnum shotgun? What is the recoil like? How much does it cost?
Old January 6, 2001, 09:36 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A MM is an 870, a repeater with an unmatched record for durability, longevity and performance. Recoil levels are quite tolerable,depending on load, with good form and fit.

Cost is a bit more than some other shotguns that are ALMOST as good.
Old January 6, 2001, 12:11 PM   #3
Gopher .45

I just got one last week and have had it to the range twice. I got mine for a reasonably good price of $420 (+ tax). As with other 12 ga. shotguns, recoil is definitely there, but certainly managable. For me, the recoil is pretty much straight back into the shoulder. I get more rise out of the barrel cycling the action between shots. Use a proper stance and you won't have any problems. My wife even shot it quite well and it was her first time to shoot a 12 ga. The finish on the Marine Magnum is supposed to be one of Remington's best - so I am told. The only drawback is that it is a shiny finish that some folks don't like. What I really like about the Marine Magnum is that it comes with the mag extension already in place, so no modification needed there. Mine cycles very well, as do most Remington 870s. It is a proven design, works well, has a high capacity, and is ready to go! It comes with a sling that is UNDER the styrofoam in the box. If you don't look for it, you won't see it and if you discard the box, you will discard the sling. If you want to shoot slugs or such at long distances, then you might consider different sights.
Old January 6, 2001, 12:39 PM   #4
greg c

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...threadid=11481

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...threadid=11028

Here's a couple of the longer discussions we've had. Hope it helps.

-G
Old January 7, 2001, 07:43 AM   #5
jadams951

Well, I've carried the marine magnum as a duty gun for a year now. In my experience it functions just as reliable as the other two 870 police models I've owned. I got mine for $380. Pro's-well it's a Remington that's everything and con's-well some of the other officers don't like it because it's nice and shiny. But in my opinion it's a darn good looking shotgun. The finish holds up great and I've had my radar antenna and mount fall from above the dash onto the barrel and it did not leave a mark. Get one you'll love it.
Old January 7, 2001, 04:43 PM   #6
CMOS

I've owned a MM for about 5 years now and still love it. It has less recoil than my Benelli due to its weight. The finish is still in out-of-the-box condition and I suspect that it will remain so for quite some time.

My next project on the MM will be to have the forcing cone lengthened and choke tubes installed. I can't wait to get away from that cylinder barrel!

Marine Magnums are running right at $399 at the Houston gun shows.

Hopefully you can find one with the old style safety.

CMOS
Old January 7, 2001, 08:22 PM   #7
Hard Ball

If you want a pump shotgun for self defense it is an excellent choice.
Old January 8, 2001, 09:49 AM   #8
jimmy

My 870 Marine Magnum is a beaut. Besides all the advantages of being an 870, it has the best-looking and one of the most durable finishes I've ever seen on a shotgun.