The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 15, 2009, 10:58 AM   #1
Firepower!

Mossberg Maverick

I have been out to buy a Mossberg Maverick for a while. Last week I actually went to a store where in Lahore (a city near by) where I handled one. I must say that it was one of the worst shotguns in terms of finish and looks. It was new out of the box but lose and clumsy. Why is that? I have had Turkish that were better then this....

Any reviews on this specific Mossberg product? I have other Mossbergs and they are great. I was under the same impression but I was dissappointed to see what Mossberg has produced... I would never buy one for myself.
Old November 15, 2009, 11:31 AM   #2
K-Minus

I went with a friend to buy his first shotgun last week and it was...you guessed it,a Mavrick 12 gauge.That same day,we shot skeets with it,no problems.

Today were going to do the same with 180 skeets

The action was a bit stiff,nothing like my "smooth as butter" 870,but im sure
we'll loosen it up today.
Old November 15, 2009, 11:55 AM   #3
rickyjames

i've had a mossberg 500 for 20 years with no problems, it came with 2 barrels and it is as good today as when i bought it. i bought my son a mavrick 12 ga a couple of years ago, again no problems. this year for xmas i'm getting him the shorty 18 1/2" barrel to go along with the hunting barrel he has. i am also looking for one of the 20" police type mavricks for myself.
Old November 15, 2009, 02:16 PM   #4
Firepower!

So despite its clumsy feel it works well?

Also, I have heard that most of the part for Mavericks are built across the border in Mexico....is that true? It is cost control or does it go beyond that and effect the quality? I am not implying that Mexico cant make it. Just that when you go for cheaper labor there are some drawbacks. Also that when I buy something 'Made in USA', it should be actually made in USA.
Old November 15, 2009, 02:30 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Some parts may be mexican made but the gun is built in the USA... Tejas to be exact.
Mine was nearly as nice or equal to my 500. It has the typical "rattle" of the not so tight fore end as the 500. The only failure to feed it suffered was junior not cycling with authority...
Brent
Old November 15, 2009, 03:32 PM   #6
JerseyDrez

The fit, finish, and feeling of my 88 is great. I love it. Its exactly like my 500, feeling-wise.

I just got back from shooting clays. Went through a case of Rem Gun Club (500shells) and not one problem at all. This is typical. I trust it whether we are shooting clay or whether I would need it to defend my life.

Finally shot a quadruple with it by the way. I felt so proud

"I don't know what situation you'd be in where you'd be facing a bad guy and he'd have the time to notice your laser shaking and evaluate you as having low confidence. "
Old November 15, 2009, 03:33 PM   #7
oneounceload

Mavericks are built to a very low price point. When a company does that, certain things in the process aren't typically done as well as they are for the higher priced guns.

BTW, "skeets" - you must mean clay targets in a pasture or similar. Skeet is an organized clay target game played on a very defined field and layout
Old November 15, 2009, 07:40 PM   #8
breeze

Maverick "Mossberg"

I have built many of the Maverick - Mossberg shotguns. I keep all the parts in one bag. All of the parts other than the safety will fit either gun, the safety is part of the trigger grouping and must be used with the maverick other than that all of the parts will fit both guns. No problems with either after builds are completed. All happy customers
Old November 17, 2009, 12:54 AM   #9
Firepower!

How does it compare to Benelli Nova?

Also, can one fire slug or magnum loads through it?
Old November 17, 2009, 04:59 AM   #10
AutoPistola

I got the shorty model for $200 new. It's fun and I've actually nailed a few pheasants with it; crazy, I know.

My only problem with it came from leaving it to chill in the cold corner of the basement one January, then taking it out back to fire a few shells (room temp.). The first two got stuck in the chamber really bad, the extractor wouldn't even budge them. No problems since.

It may be cheap but it's a decent gun and I prefer the safety location.
Old November 17, 2009, 05:34 AM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The Maverick will fire slugs and any load in a 3 inch shell. It is not a "SUPER DUPER 3.5 INCH MAGNUM" though
Brent
Old November 17, 2009, 06:16 AM   #12
jgcoastie

Quote:
It is not a "SUPER DUPER 3.5 INCH MAGNUM" though
Then all rounds fired from that gun will bounce off of BG's... Darn... If it's not a super-ultra-crazy-magnum than it's not effective... Jeez Brent, don't you know that by now???

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old November 17, 2009, 08:51 AM   #13
jaguarxk120

You guys mean my Colt 1911 45 is not good enough?
Old November 17, 2009, 12:00 PM   #14
RoscoeC

Quote:
Also, can one fire slug or magnum loads through it?
Slugs, no problem. With a smoothbore use Foster or Brenneke style slugs, with a rifled barrel use sabots.

The gun is chambered for 3" shells, commonly referred to as "Magnum", so it will accept 2 3/4" (70mm) and 3" (76mm) rounds.
NRA Life Member
Old November 17, 2009, 12:05 PM   #15
UtahHunting

I have owned the Maverick 88 for 4-5 years now. It has been a great shotgun for the price. I bought it at Walmart for $160. I have killed many ducks and clay pigeons with it. I also have an 18" barrel I use for HD with Buckshot. I have no complaints.
Old November 17, 2009, 12:58 PM   #16
jgcoastie

Quote:
You guys mean my Colt 1911 45 is not good enough?
Not even close... You'll need a S&W .460, it's the only handgun that will penetrate far enough to stop a human, everything else may as well be a BB gun...

Rifles, you obviously need a minimum of .338 RUM for deer. The .308 is no longer sufficient to drop these mutant monsters...

Shotguns, you need a minimum of a 3.5" 12ga, with a 3.5" 10ga being the better of the two.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old November 17, 2009, 02:20 PM   #17
Firepower!

So, guys, in a nutshell, you recommend a Maverick; and I should ignore the clumsy front handguard as far as the reliability and durability is concerned?

Thanks
Old November 17, 2009, 02:25 PM   #18
jgcoastie

The Mav 88 is every bit a reliable as a 500 in my experience... It might not hold up as long, but for a gun you'll shoot only a few times a year, clean, and lean against the nightstand, it's hard to beat for the price...

I know hogdogs swears by his...
Old November 17, 2009, 03:59 PM   #19
lomaxanderson

I am happy with mine...make sure it has two bars linking the forarm to the action...I think they made some with just one arm...but mine has been fine since the late '80s...

Mason Rhea Gsd
Old November 17, 2009, 04:45 PM   #20
Firepower!

How does it measure up to Benlli Nova?
Old November 17, 2009, 05:04 PM   #21
Piper Cub

Mossberg Maverick is a Beer Budget Shotgun. Like a Hi-Point they work.
Old November 17, 2009, 07:03 PM   #22
INMY01TA

Love mine.
Old November 17, 2009, 10:17 PM   #23
JerseyDrez

Benelli vs. Maverick!?

You know the answer to that.

Yet for $200, you cant beat the performance and durability of the 88. I swear by mine just as much as Hogdogs does his.

"I don't know what situation you'd be in where you'd be facing a bad guy and he'd have the time to notice your laser shaking and evaluate you as having low confidence. "
Old November 18, 2009, 04:37 AM   #24
Firepower!

Actually it is Nova v. Maverick that I need answer for. As far as I know Nova is on the cheaper end of Benelli products.
Old November 21, 2009, 02:33 PM   #25
I_MAK

The 88 is a fair deal, I love mine. I prefer the safety placement compared to its brother's mossberg 500.

As for your question about nova vs 88, nova is smoother in action, more sofisticated and advanced. But for an average shooter, the maverick will do the job quite equaly. Lot of guys in our practical shooting matches prefer the benelli pump model and happens to be the more experienced once, I try to catch up with my baby.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0036.jpg (105.2 KB, 33 views)

Tags
mossberg maverick