The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 8, 2009, 06:37 PM   #1
dbuffington

Winchester 1906 Feed Problem

Hi Folks!

I recently picked up a well-worn, but well cared for, Winchester 1906 pump 22 made in 1912.

It's supposed to digest shorts, longs and long rifles, but it will only feed shorts correctly. Long rifle cartridges don't push completely onto the elevator and jam on the way up.

I suspect the problem is one or both of two things:

- The elevator ramp has developed some washboard roughness, which prevents the cartridge from going the whole way back to the end of the elevator ramp.

- The spring in the magazine tube isn't strong enough to push the cartridge the whole way back to the end of the elevator ramp.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Dave
Old November 8, 2009, 11:35 PM   #2
jax29

These are great little guns and the value is going up :-)
These are my specialty.. There are a couple of things to check. 1st make sure that you have the right carrier. Many times carriers were switched to 1890 carriers when 1906 carriers were not availible. The 1890 carriers only shoot one type of bullet. The 1906 carriers will have a little lever on the end (cartridge stop.. which allows all three .22 to be used) Your carrier lever spring might be spent as well.. Take the inner mag tube out and push the follower.. how is the tension on the spring? Feel free to give me a call, I have all the parts that you will need :-) 520-258-8839 jacqueline :-)
Old November 9, 2009, 07:23 AM   #3
Harry Bonar

Sir;
Along with what's already been said, I'd also check the chamber fir a rough area from shooting shorts!
Harry B.
Old November 9, 2009, 08:44 AM   #4
dbuffington

Ah, ha! I checked for the carrier lever spring, and it's missing. Not weak. Not broken. Missing. I'll private message you to order one. Thanks!
Old November 29, 2009, 06:49 PM   #5
Tdownes

feed and ejector problems 1890 winchester

I have an 1890 winchester pump, 22 short. At times the spent shell stays on top of the carrier turned at a slight angle and is jammed/held by the ejector. Also at times when moving the slide forward the round enters the chamber half way then the action stops. Sometimes I can manipulate the action to the point the round is chambered. Other times the ejector catches the rim of the round; when this happens it is impossiple to chamber the round. It's almost like the timing is off. Any ideas?
Old September 18, 2012, 12:55 AM   #6
Tattoowill

I have a similar problem with my 1890 it's a 22long.
It won't feed 22long without jamming but it will
Feed 22lr perfectly no problems. I'm just confused
because the barrel reads .22 long. Any suggestions?