The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 4, 2005, 04:42 PM   #1
sdkidaho

Spartan Gunworks O/U

Anyone have one of the Spartan O/U's? Not a bad price and where they have the Remington stamp behind them I can't imagine that they are too bad of a gun.

I found this article about them, and it looked like they were not too bad, especially for the price.

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with them.
Old June 5, 2005, 07:31 AM   #2
stevelyn

The Spartan guns are the same guns made by Baikal of Russia that used to be imported by EAA. Never owned one. I considered it though and compared the O/U (IZH27) with a Turkish made gun. I bought the Turkish gun, but the Baikal is definitely built like a tank and would make a rugged field gun.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old June 7, 2005, 07:10 PM   #3
shooter01

Baikal Guns

Been searching the web on this maker. These Baikal guns are no "hang them on the wall" collector's pieces. They are built tough to work. They are exported to 65 countries. Believe it or not, there is a gunshop in Italy that actually gives a thirty-year warranty on every Baikal sold! And the Italian shooting fraternity certainly knows guns. I don't know of any other gunmaker of similarly priced and produced weapons offering such a confident warranty. If you own a Spartan Gunworks weapon [marketed by Remington] or Steven's 12-gauge side-by-side now offered, you are actually using a Baikal - built weapon.
Old June 7, 2005, 07:37 PM   #4
greg531mi

Good guns, too bad Remington upped their price......
Old June 9, 2005, 12:45 PM   #5
sdkidaho

I read in another thread that they fire the bottom barrel first. Does this make a difference? I can't think of why it would but I've never owned an O/U before.
Old April 5, 2006, 07:55 PM   #6
opwan

spartan

I just bought a spartan over and under and love it! Wood is good quality and shoots great, it's not a Beretta but it was $500 and worth every penny.
Old April 5, 2006, 07:58 PM   #7
jhgreasemonkey

Good for you. I own a Baikal O/U and love it. To answer the above question you choose 1 of 2 models. One has 2 triggers the other has a selector switch. So either way you choose which barrel you shoot. Have fun shooting.