The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 17, 2005, 06:22 PM   #1
2ksportny

Thumbreak Or No Thumbreak?

Just wondering what everyone prefers & why.

Personally I like the thumbreak idea but I dont like how much time it takes to get the gun unholstered when & if I ever need it. Then again practice makes perfect.
Old September 17, 2005, 07:20 PM   #2
Musketeer

At first I insisted on it but then I realized it was because I was buying cheap holsters, not made for one gun, and strapping the damn thing in was all that would work .

I no longer see the need for one. My main two rigs are a a Kydex Sidearmor IWB and a Crossbreed hybrid leather/kydex. Both hold the weapon firmly enough that I could do handstands and not have it come loose. The "click" of it being released would also instantly let me know if it was loose, but that has never happenned.

My opinion is a strap is not needed on a good holster but you should have something to protect the safety.
Old September 17, 2005, 07:36 PM   #3
LHB1

My experience is similar to Musketeer's. After buying Milt Sparks 55BN holsters for my M1911 pistols I realized a thumb strap is totally unnecessary on a properly designed and constructed holster.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old September 17, 2005, 07:48 PM   #4
2ksportny

I picked up a desantis mini slide thumbreak holster but I am not sure I like the thumbreak, that is why I ask. The place I bought it from allowed me to try it out for the night to see if I like it then if not I plan on getting the desantis leather mini skabbard w/out thumbreak. It has retention screws to tighten the gun it. I also have a fobus paddle holster which I do not like to much. I feel like the gun will slip out very easily that is why I went to a thumbreak.
Old September 17, 2005, 08:44 PM   #5
2ksportny

My other concern was someone actually grabbing the gun out of the holster while in a scuffle.
When the holster has adjustable retention does it still hold the gun in really good if someone does try to grab it. ( I know I know, no one should be able to get that close to me in the 1st place but I am just wondering)
Old September 17, 2005, 11:20 PM   #6
rwilson452

thumb break

It don't slow me down that I can notice. With practice you break as you grasp. As I carry a 1911 it also puts my thumb right on the safety.
Old September 17, 2005, 11:27 PM   #7
2ksportny

I carry a glock so there is not safety, but I am still considering keeping since I do have a fobus holster w/out thumbreak. Like you said the more you practice the more I will get use to it, if I keep it.
Old September 18, 2005, 10:56 AM   #8
2ksportny

Ahh much nicer, i went back to the dealer today & picked up a speed scabbard desantis hoolster w/out thumbreak, I think it holds the gun better w/out the thumbreak then with. He didn't have a glock 23 holster so I got the g17 model only thing different on the 2 models is the length so now the holster also covers the barrel completly which is better anyway.

Thanks for the advice
Old September 18, 2005, 12:12 PM   #9
yorec

I was a firm thumbreak believer... and still am - nothing else is as efficient as a thumbreak when trying to keep a gun inside the holster - all I gotta do is be actively trying to keep it there.

But I just bought a Blackhawck CQC hoster with Serpa rention and, with a slight adjustment of hand position, it works just about as well...

So I'll still register as a thumbreak fan, but I do recognize there are fine quality holsters out there that'll do a very acceptable job too.
Old September 18, 2005, 04:48 PM   #10
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Being an old phart, I've been using a thumb break ever since the early 70's, and I love 'em. I still favor a classic Border Patrol holster with thumb break over the newer, high retention holsters. They also ride lower than today's holsters, which is a plus for long-armed guys like me. Very fast holsters! I learned to position my thumb so that it cracks the thumb break just before my hand seats on the grips.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old September 18, 2005, 05:44 PM   #11
2ksportny

I was going to keep the thumbreak holster but since I tried the none thumbreak holster I really liked the feel & fit of the gun. I really liked the idea of having the thumbreak there but I coudln't get use to it.