The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 17, 2001, 03:37 AM   #1
yankytrash

I read a post down the list about the water&vinegar shell cleaning. Since I've been a little displeased with my casings' appearance lately, I thought I'd give it a whack.

I dumped out all my old walnut shells and replaced them with about 1/2 a tub of 5% white distilled vinegar in my ancient Vibratec.

I love the difference! If this works out, I might just retire my neck brushes! It even did a great job of cleaning the primer pockets after depriming.

With my cleaning time cut in half, I have to tell myself that it's too good to be true.

Even with a good rinse of water, wouldn't these shells be a little corrosive on the gun chambers and magazines? I notice a slight vinegar smell when I pull a tray-full out of the oven.

Any thoughts, suggestions? I'm just trying to cut down on time spent on cleaning, and so far this seems to do the trick. Please try to stay away from suggestions of dry media; I've tried them all (even some of my own concoctions) and the time involved in waiting, sifting, shaking, and tapping has got to go...
Old April 17, 2001, 10:15 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

You could always do a neutralization with some baking soda water before the final water rinse.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 17, 2001, 12:32 PM   #3
neal bloom

We tried some IOSSO this weekend and it does clean the cases. While they are clean they are still not polished and shiny. Using the dry media can be a pain as you said, all the sifting, picking and cleaning, but the liquid cleaned cases still have to be dried. I prefer to let them sit for 24 hours rather than dry them in the oven (Wife gets a little nervous seeing cases baking in the oven). Either way there is work or delay. I guess we just have to pick the method which seems less tedious. Polished cases do look good though and are easier on the dies.
Old April 21, 2001, 03:27 PM   #4
458american

cleaning brass

I dont know how many rounds you are cleaning at one time, but I just finished a 7000 round order of 357 mag for one of my local law inforcment agencies and I use a brass polish from Midway.
I pu it in my vibrater tumbler with walnut hull and let it run for 3-4 hours and the stuff comes out looking like new, then I dump it in a media seperator, also available from Midway. I then deprime and load it, I dont worry too much about the inside of the primer pocket and have never had a problem, they keep coming back so They must like the ammo.
I have fond that one 32 oz bottle will pollish well over 15000 rounds.
Old May 31, 2001, 09:20 AM   #5
HankB

Deleted...
Old May 31, 2001, 09:30 AM   #6
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Hank, I have a Lyman Turbo Twin and used to use the Lyman treated corncob. I now use that corncob pet bedding from Wal-Mart (biggg bag for $2.97) and use Armorall car wax (no ammonia) for a treatment. Works very well, I am pleased with it.
Old May 31, 2001, 04:30 PM   #7
Redneck2

cleaning cases...

I read on the Realguns site that Birchwood-Casey supposedly works really well..fast and easy. Has anyone used it???

Old June 5, 2001, 03:09 PM   #8
Nanaimo Barr

do you mean the B&C concentrated fluid Redneck? I tried that, seemed to work as well as hot water and Dawn dish soap as near as I could tell. (Nickeled Brass) I got some dirty ones in a friends cleaner with corncob now, gonna compare them. I'll let you know.

NB