The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 25, 2011, 03:52 AM   #1
HistoryJunky

Tokarev build

So I was looking online for holidays specials on firearms and came across a few sites selling incomplete Romanian Tokarev kits fro $99. They include major parts like barrel, slide, frame, and some other stuff.

My question is, if I acquired the rest of the parts to complete the firearm, how difficult would it be to build it? What would be required? I have very little experience working on firearms, and it just seemed like it would be a fun project. I've shot a Tokarev before and I really liked it so this seems like it would be a neat way to actually own one. I tried searching on Google for about 30 minutes for people talking about building Tokarevs to no avail. Does anyone here have an idea of the difficulty level of this?
Old November 25, 2011, 09:55 AM   #2
CWKahrFan

Warnings are right there in the ad; incomplete... sold as-is...
Sounds like a headache-in-waiting to me... I'd say the kits are mostly meant for those who already have a couple of Toks and are looking for some replacement parts.

The complete guns are only $190 (at jgsales.com).
Old November 25, 2011, 10:23 AM   #3
HistoryJunky

Yeah you might be right about their intended purpose. I was just thinking of it as a possibly fun project to take up some of my spare time. Realistically after I gathered up the rest of the parts I needed it'd probably cost about the same as the Tokarevs from J & G Sales.
Old November 25, 2011, 11:37 AM   #4
CWKahrFan

I have a Yugoslavian M57 which I really like A LOT. From what I've read, the Yugos are generally considered the best of that breed. They're available from a couple of sources like slickguns.com:

http://www.slickguns.com/product/yug...-zastava-19900

and Sovereign Guns on gunbroker.com...

I can't vouch for these dealers specifically, but my M57 is really nice.

You may be interested in these threads:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454592

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464632

Last edited by CWKahrFan; November 25, 2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old November 25, 2011, 12:37 PM   #5
HistoryJunky

My intention was to buy a Tokarev, more than likely Romanian in 7.62 x 25mm and then buy the parts needed to convert it to fire 9x19. If I remember right it's only a little more than a barrel and magazine change. I've fired a Tokarev in 9mm before(Chinese?) and found it to be one of the most comfortable handguns I've shot so far. Also, I could always put the 7.62 x 25mm barrel and magazine back in to fire 7.62 x 25mm as well. I've noticed the price and availability of surplus 7.62 x 25mm going up quite a bit over the past year or two, and 9x19 just seems more practical.
Old November 25, 2011, 01:33 PM   #6
CWKahrFan

I hear you on the 9mm-for-practicality thing. I bought 2 9mm FEG milsurps this year and am VERY happy with both of them. I successfully reload 9mm, 7.62x25 and 9x18 Makarov for range fun...
Old November 26, 2011, 02:11 AM   #7
HistoryJunky

Yeah I've heard good things about the FEG Hi Powers. Actually I really want one of those but my budget is less than slim since I am unemployed. Speaking of 9x18 Makarov, I was looking at P-64s. I've read that they have some pretty nasty recoil though due to their small size and blowback mechanism. Also, I'm unsure how easy it is to find 9x18. I'm guessing you probably know something about this.
Old November 26, 2011, 09:13 AM   #8
CWKahrFan

9x18 Makarov is easy enough to find... Here's a link to Midway's selection... You can order and have it delivered to your house... I've gotten a lot of ammo this way... usually have to sign for it when it comes (age thing because it's ammo). Midway is fast and reliable.

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?&sortb...ensionid=10056

I've read some internet testimony and watched a couple YouTubes regarding P-64's... Sounds to me like they're reliable but snappy... Nice size for carry... Have a rather difficult trigger pull... Seems like not a great range gun but a viable carry alternative. 9x18 is a very respectable round... between .380 and 9mm in strength. I like it a lot... LOVE my CZ82 which is a little bigger and heavier than the p-64 (32 oz. loaded w/12 rds.). Here's a link to a recent thread about them:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=466675

There have been recent threads regarding P-64's too... use "SEARCH" if you want to browse them. There's one going right now:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=469743

Last edited by CWKahrFan; November 26, 2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old November 26, 2011, 11:42 AM   #9
HistoryJunky

Thanks for the threads and all the help. I was thinking that the P-64 wouldn't make a bad carry piece as well, but here in the People's Republic of Illinois we don't believe in protecting our citizens. I've read the trigger pull comes in at a whopping 18 pounds or so in double action... that's pretty severe.

Tags
build , tokarev