The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 21, 2009, 04:49 PM   #1
kenfa03

Hornady Aol Gauge

Just got mine in mail and tried it on two different 7mm08's. Both times the bullets were very close to being almost all the way out of case. Am I doing something wrong? I checked the length on these rifles with a case that I split the neck on before I started reloading. The measurement I'm getting with the Oal gauge is like .300" over max length.
Old February 21, 2009, 05:54 PM   #2
hardhit

Are you using light bullets for that caliber?
Lighter or smaller bullets will give you less room to seat into the lands while trying to get enough purchase on the bullet to hold it securely in the case mouth.
Also the boattail makes this even harder with light bullets, the longer or heavier the bullet you use the easer it will be to get a purchase on the bullet and seat into the lands at the same time hope this helps.
Old February 22, 2009, 05:50 AM   #3
kenfa03

I figured it out. I wasn't putting enough pressure on the tool to push the case all the way in the chamber. Now the measurements are matching what I was getting with my homemade split neck cases.