The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 19, 2006, 11:42 PM   #1
tarheelshooter

Lyman DPS II or RCBS Chargemaster?

I am fairly new to reloading(8 months) and have been reading some posts on this forum for a while.You guys really know your stuff.Any information you could give me on these powder dispensers would be great.I have used the RCBS chargemaster at a friend's house,and it worked great.The dillema I have is wether to get the RCBS at about $280-$300,or get the Lyman DPS II for $140.That's right $140.I found one locally at a wal-mart on clearance.The stores in this area do not carry reloading supplies,so if I have any problems with it I will have to send back to Lyman.Should I jump on this deal or should I hold out for the RCBS,which I already like?
Old December 20, 2006, 08:21 AM   #2
RERICK

Chargemaster

I have had mine for about a year now and its always right on every time to a tenth of a grain.If you ever plan to work close to max loads or load for precision I would go with the load master.Plus it is very fast to dispense a charge.
But you don't need to spend 280 or 300 just go to the link below

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...8923&src=BA183

Last edited by RERICK; December 20, 2006 at 10:35 AM.
Old December 20, 2006, 09:45 AM   #3
rangermonroe

Chargemaster

Had one myself for nigh on a year now. Can't complain a' t'all.

ETA: That is a very nice price at Natchez. I paid $50 more for mine.
Old December 20, 2006, 12:23 PM   #4
temmi

Chargemaster

have since last Christmas... It's great!
Old December 20, 2006, 06:19 PM   #5
flyinbrian

I have the Lyman and am happy with it. That's a great price-at least 80 bucks cheaper than I've seen it anywhere else. Some people don't like the 30 minute wait to warm up but I get everything else ready during that time.
Old December 20, 2006, 08:01 PM   #6
VaFisher

I have used both and do not see any difference, accurate they are equal 1/10gr. The RCBS holds1500gr.and the lyman holds 1200gr.that is about the only difference. I liked both and ahd no problems with either unit. So it depends on how much you want to spend or what color you like best.
Old December 20, 2006, 08:28 PM   #7
tarheelshooter

Thanks for the input so far.I have heard that the Lyman unit has a 30 minute warm-up.Is this true and does it bother anybody?I would probably just work on other items(case prep,priming,setting up)while it warmed up.I don't believe it would bother me,but any input on this would be great.
Old December 21, 2006, 07:14 AM   #8
VaFisher

In fact it states it has a 20 min warm up but you can over ride this if needed. I just turn it on when I am getting started and by time I am ready it has been ready for a good while. I have also over rode this warm up just to weigh some tip's and found that it worked very accurate without the warm up.
Old December 21, 2006, 07:48 AM   #9
Nortonics

Here, read these - you won't be disappointed:

http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers02.html

http://www.6mmbr.com/powderdispensers01.html

http://www.6mmbr.com/catalog/item/1433308/1266096.htm

And if those aren't enough, just Google for more of the same. Obviously there's only one real choice for your hard-earned money...
Old December 21, 2006, 05:22 PM   #10
amamnn

Pact

Where do the other companies send or have you send your broken scales? Who is the biggest manufacturer of digital scales in the business? Who holds the main patents? Give up? I gave a hint................^

I have the PACT scale/dispenser system and it works very well. Most loads are learned in one cycle and my drops have been consistent within +/- .1 grain throughout long loading sessions. I read the 6mmBR reviews and did a little investigating. Seems they used the old, old version of the PACT dispenser and did not use the scale designed to communicate with the dispenser. Unless they did another comparison, it seems as if someone had it in for PACT.
I weigh bullets and cases, and I do a lot of density and volume calculations for match loads, so the separate scale is nice--also it can measure in grams which makes the calculations a lot easier.
Old December 24, 2006, 06:38 PM   #11
Kenneth L. Walters

Pact

Pact's units are guaranteed forever even if you are not the original owners. Also my Pact made RCBS unit has worked perfectly.

I bought one of the newer RCBS units. Had two eventually. Neither one lasted very long. RCBS replaced the first unit and offered to replace the second but, well, I threw it in the trash. Don't buy one of these.

No experience with the current Lyman model.
Old December 27, 2006, 03:19 PM   #12
Tim R

A $140.00 for the DPS is a heck of a good deal. I think you would be happy with it for the most part. I have one of the older DPS's. I had lockup one time, but believe it was due to a power fluctuation and it hasn't happened since.

I throw a charge almost to the weight I want and let the Lyman finish it off. It's pretty fast doing it this way. I weigh all of the powder charges I use for High Power and has made for smaller groups.
Old December 29, 2006, 11:03 AM   #13

Chargemaster

I've been using my Chargemaster for over a year now. A buddy of mine bought a Lyman a few months ago so I've been using both. I'm glad I got the RCBS, it's easier to change powder, faster to set up and it seems to be more consistent. My wife bought mine for $219 last fall.
Old January 1, 2007, 11:38 PM   #14
tarheelshooter

I actually wound up with both.The Lyman unit was marked down to $105.00 so I used a gift card my boss gave me for Christmas.Total out of pocket expense was $30 + tax.My birthday was on 12/28,so my wife,sister and mom went in together to get me the Chargemaster.Since I had already used the Lyman I could not take it back.My sister bought the RCBS at a going out of business sale so I cannot return that one either.I was a little worried about the cleanup of the Lyman since I load several powders,so I decided to use it just for varget.I will use the RCBS to load all the other powders.I appreciate all the responses to my question.
Old January 2, 2007, 01:11 AM   #15
Wildalaska

I use and like the Lyman.

WildymmvAlaska