The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 17, 1999, 04:50 AM   #1
Ned Roundtree

This may sound silly but I have had shooters tell me this. I know about a half dozen bullseye shooters. They have tried cowboy shooting. Four of them say their bullseye shooting has improved since they started CAS. Two say they will no longer shoot CAS cause their Bullseye Shooting has been hurt. I'm not an season shooter like them. To me sight alignment is sight alignment whether adjustable or fixed. I don't shoot bullseye enough to know. Are they just picky shooters, making excuses, or what?

[This message has been edited by Ned Roundtree (edited December 17, 1999).]
Old December 18, 1999, 07:47 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Ned
Bullseye is another whole world. To me it's boring. Take one shot, lower weapon to rest arm, reacquire sight alignment, shoot again. Repeat as necessary. It's a slow-fire match whereas CAS, IPSC, IDPA etc are all action matches. Action matches require movement, speed and accuracy whereas slow-fire matches require extreme accuracy (they have a time limit but something like 30 seconds a shot IIRC). Even rapid-fire bullseye match stages take longer than your average action stage.
Old December 20, 1999, 08:12 PM   #3
Trigger Jerk

This may sound too simplistic but I really believe that every time you handle your firearm, it helps at the range. I started out just shooting on my own property. I wanted to practice to be beneficial for self defense. I had never heard of IPSC or any of the other things, I just read everything I could about the subject and tried it on the range. I shot almost every day, at least for a few minutes. This was 25 years ago when Jeff Cooper was King of Combat and there was no such thing as a politically incorrect gun. But I digress...eventually I found IPSC and then a couple of years later (1995), I found cowboy action shooting. Witha any of the action shooting sports, I beleive that economy of motion sets apart the winners from the losers. Make every movement count. Play with your guns in the living room, pick out ridiculously small targets and try to hold a sight picture. Work the action. Aquire a fast sight picture...over and over.
Sorry about the rambling...in short...yes, I think that shooting in any discipline will help in another discipline.