The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 23, 2014, 10:45 PM   #1
P71pilot

new handgun soon!

I recently got a bunch of overtime and, well, what better way to reward ones self for hard work? Another gun!

I have always been a fan of historic/military firearms, my first pistol was a 1954 cz52 caliber 7.62x25mm. I loved the gun as it OOZED character and nostalgia, fired a fairly powerful round for an old semi auto pistol and was serious fun shooting (vaporizing 16oz water bottles at 30yds makes you feel good). Well I was browsing online gun websites and found out that right now there are variants of the Soviet tt33 military pistol available and for pretty cheap. So I placed an order for a romanian TTC tokarev handgun in 7.62x25mm. Some of you may think the round is hard to get or expensive. Well my local gunshop has about 1000rds of surplus ammo (wwwway more expensive than I remember 6 years ago but still cheaper than factory new .45). Also red army standard brand ammunition now produces new non corrosive steel cased 7.62 tokarev and is available at about $50 for $150. I used to own a glock model 20 10mm, now that was expensive to shoot! Anyways the gunshop I am transferring through has had my gun for 2 days now I am just waiting for the lazy barstards to "log it in". I have never handled a tokarev and am excited to say the least. Going to be a good Thanksgiving
Old November 23, 2014, 10:55 PM   #2
tahunua001

I've fondled and dry fired them. I prefer them to cz52s but they are still a bit...less refined than the rival service pistols of their time like the 1911 and P38 walthers. tokarev is a fun plinking around cartridge but I never found a reliable delivery system. I chanced into the ammo and bought some of the chamber adapters for 303 brit and 7.62x54R but the tokarev casings fireformed to the inserts and had to be hammered out. I devised a spent casing extractor from a broken screw driver, a lead ingot and a 2x4 with holes drilled in it but the things locked up so tight it usually took a good couple minutes to extract them... muzzle loaders had greater rate of fire than the chamber adapters and tokarev. I loved how quiet and cheap they were... just hated the hassle, sold off my stash about 6 months before it disappeared and skyrocketed... I would have liked to have gotten one of the few 7.62 tokarev AR15s that were floating around for a while... now that would have been a fun tool to have.
Old November 23, 2014, 11:02 PM   #3
P71pilot

I always dreamed of the semi-auto 16" barrelled ppsh41s, but could never justify spending $700+ on a "weak" rifle. But 1500fps from a handgun isn't anything to sneeze at. Hopefully the tokarev is reliable and decently accurate, I'll have it for penetrating hard stuff (metal, wood, skulls, etc), and the 1911 for penetrating soft stuff (meat& tissue). Not counting the rifles
Old November 24, 2014, 02:33 AM   #4
Cheapshooter

In addition to a CZ52, I have a Romanian, and a Polish TT33. Also the very similar Yugoslavia M57. All great shooters, and lots of fun at the range.

Quote:
I have always been a fan of historic/military firearms,
With your interest in historical military firearms you may want to consider getting a Class 03 Collector of Curio & Relics FFL. For the $30/3years fee you eliminate the FFL transfer fees, and get the windshield direct to you.
The form is easy to fill out, and no finger prints, photos, or additional background checks are needed. Record keeping is minimal, and BATF audits are very rare.
The availability of C&R guns isn't what it used to be, but there are still some good deals on some interesting, and very shootable milsurp firearms.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 24, 2014, 02:56 AM   #5
AustinTX

Congrats on your new Tokarev!

Love a range day that includes the CZ 52 or a Tok (Polish, in my case). The 7.62x25mm round is a blast to shoot. Not much recoil, but it sure does bark and belch out a nice-sized fireball.
Old December 9, 2014, 02:02 PM   #6
P71pilot

I was able to put about 30 RDS through the tokarev and boy was I dissapointed. The barrel has not yet been cleaned (it had some surface rust) but when I fired it at the range it was pretty inaccurate. At least compared to my 1911 and the cz52 I used to have. The trigger may have something to do with it but it is much lighter than a cz52. Anways most 5 shot groups at 10yds measured about 5-8". I know how to shoot a handgun accurately and am pretty accurate with most pistols with some exceptions (Glock model 20, s&w shield 9mm) I wonder if my barrel is shot or the innaccuracy could have been ammo related

Tags
7.62x25mm , romanian , surplus , tokarev , ttc