The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 4, 2012, 09:02 AM   #176
gdvan01

Carried a SIG P226 (9mm) for years. If I ever went back into L.E. (not bloody likely) I think I'd opt for something in .40, either a SIG or Glock...depending on who's paying for the gun.

Proud Son of a former Tomb Guard
Old December 4, 2012, 01:19 PM   #177
Tactical Jackalope

^^^ why would you do such a thing?
Old December 4, 2012, 07:25 PM   #178
Warrior1256

As a correctional officer my last duty weapon was a Glock 21SF. I liked it so well that I bought one for myself after I retired.
Old December 4, 2012, 10:50 PM   #179
9mmhpfan

Smith and Wesson model 19, Ruger Security Six, or Colt Trooper. All 357 Magnums and all as reliable as can be. Also if you have to whack someone in the head with one it will make quite an impression on them. A Glock if you hit them with that all you will really do is annoy them a little.
Old December 6, 2012, 01:13 AM   #180
wolverine_173

sig p226 9mm
Old December 6, 2012, 03:29 AM   #181
Irish B

I love my 10mm or a coonan .357 mag. Some will shout over penetration but I live in an environment where people are always wearing heavy jackets. There's not a lot of crowds. Usually disputes are out in the boonies at someone's meth lab. My shotty would be a Remington 1100 HD and my AR would be either a Remington ACR 6.8 or a Colt AR .308. I'd also keep double tap for the 10mm (or buffalo bore for the .357) and Brenekke Black Magic 3" slugs just in case. We have a lot of car vs bear accidents here and the cops are always having problems putting the animal down humanely. But I'm a former Firefighter/Medic and currently a Veterinary Tech so I really can't comment on police work and my priorities are different.
Old December 6, 2012, 04:18 PM   #182
LockedBreech

I've been involved in plenty of these forum discussions about the 1911 for duty use. I have never understood why someone would choose a low-capacity, relatively complicated pistol when you have bulletproof high-capacity modern designs like the M&P available.

Having had more of an opportunity to play with 1911s lately, I absolutely get it, I really do. I still don't know if I'd choose one, but I think I'd feel okay with a relatively high-dollar, quality-built one like a Colt XSE, Dan Wesson Valor, or Springfield TRP.

It astonishes me how comfortable the platform is, how amazing the trigger is, and how naturally it points. You might only get 7+1 or 8+1, but I feel like I could do a lot of damage with 8 or 9 rounds in a platform that inherently easy to shoot. Get a quality one and run it enough to make you feel okay about reliability with ball-profile JHPs like the Remington Golden Saber, and I can see a convincing argument for the platform.
Old December 6, 2012, 05:19 PM   #183
cocojo

Nice model S&W 27 and a hoyt holster. I carried a S&W 66 in a Hoyt holster. Hoyt's were great holsters and I still have mine. Switched to semi's in the mid eighties but I still like snubby revolvers. Today i would carry a Glock 22 or 23 in 40.
Old December 6, 2012, 05:24 PM   #184
paknheat

Back when I was, I carried a M-65 S&W , in a Bianchi duty rig . If I were to do it again I would use my Ruger SR9.
Never felt out gunned with that .357 though, a well placed slug from that will settle a bad guys hash right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 9, 2012, 12:38 AM   #185
Terry A

I strated w/ a S&W M66, then a Ruger GP-100. Then a Beretta 92FS. Fianlly, a Sig P226 .40.
If I had a choice, it would have been my Springfield XD-45 or Glock 21SF.
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old December 10, 2012, 07:58 PM   #186
Mello2u

The two sheriff's departments that I served with required Glocks. I was able to carry the Model 20 in 10mm Auto. I used the 200gr black talon load which had a muzzle velocity of about 1050 fps.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old December 11, 2012, 02:43 AM   #187
cliffb

Well, I retired earlier this year as a LEO. For over half of my career I carried an agency supplied Glock 22. I didn't care for it at first but I learned to accept it as a great tool for the job. I could shoot it well, easy to maintain and reliable. I was lucky in that the city presented it to me on my retirement.

I just started a job as a part time Deputy. I have the option of carrying anything I want, within reason. I'll keep carrying a Glock 22.

Obama. Proof positive that stupid people should not vote.
Old December 11, 2012, 04:15 AM   #188
R1145

As Conan The Barbarian would say, the Secret of Steel is that the hand wielding it is the most important thing. Any one of the many weapons mentioned is adequate for duty carry, if the officer is proficient in its use.

However, the best weapon available is one of the polymer-framed, high-capacity, .40 caliber compact guns, with a set of night sights: A state of the art TOOL. You can strap on a sexy hog-leg or custom .45, whatever, and it probably won't make a difference, but lots of guys have died trying to be cool in combat...

I've never been in a full-tilt firefight against an armed opponent shooting back, or multiple bad guys, but I think one of the modern high-capacity autos is a definite advantage. I'm not advocating "spray and pray", but instead establishing fire superiority as a tactic.

When I went through the academy in 2001, there were several agencies represented. Third-generation stainless S&W 4006s were standard with a couple of them, and it was a solid, reliable pistol. The large county S.O. had deputies choose from an approved list. None chose revolvers. Glock 22s were common, as were H&Ks. One cadet had a 9mm Sigma and was the object of much derision from the instructors, but he shot well enough.

My agency transitioned to the S&W M&P .40 a few years ago, and it would be my first choice. It has the best ergonomics of any handgun I've worked with, although I admittedly have no experience with SIGs, H&Ks, XDs or 4th gen Glocks. I carried M1911A1s and M9s in the Army, and have had a Glock 19 for 20+ years. I also own S&W Models 10 and 65.

The funny thing is, I really don't like the M&P's styling, and we're having rust issues with the supposedly stainless slide. The mags get rusty, too, and we're having to replace springs already.

I concur that .40 is the best compromise between power and capacity, although 9mm +P is probably just as effective. I find the recoil about the same (maybe a bit more muzzle snap with the .40, but negligible). I would carry .45 if only FMJ was allowed (or if high-capacity mags weren't available) but with modern HP ammo I don't think there is an advantage. .357 SIG is great but I think it's going the way of .41 Magnum.

I agree with the OP that the Glock 23 is a good choice, but again must say that the M&P .40 is superior (not having experience with Gen 4 Glocks). The polymer advantage is ease of carry and maintenance. I also don't like manual safeties. I think a magazine safety is a good feature in a duty gun.

Finally, the holster should be a type with level III retention. I like the Safariland 070 series, but most of my colleagues use the newer ALS.
Old December 11, 2012, 02:50 PM   #189
coldbeer

CZ75B or SP-01, strong accurate and dependable.
Old December 11, 2012, 05:28 PM   #190
jason_iowa

sig 220, carried one all over the world and it never let me down.
Old December 12, 2012, 10:39 AM   #191
paknheat

I suppose if I had to go back & do it again I would opt for a Sig 226 in .357 Sig. I believe Tx DPS is still using that cartridge. A good patrol rifle would have to be included in the mix also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 14, 2012, 12:36 PM   #192
southjk

A good friend is a cop and he uses his old duty weapon as an off duty carry. It's a S&W .40 not sure of the model. His new duty weapon is a Sig p229 .40 and he prefers that over the S&W.
Old December 15, 2012, 11:37 AM   #193
WC145

Quote:
However, the best weapon available is one of the polymer-framed, high-capacity, .40 caliber compact guns, with a set of night sights: A state of the art TOOL. You can strap on a sexy hog-leg or custom .45, whatever, and it probably won't make a difference, but lots of guys have died trying to be cool in combat...
Here's my state of the art TOOL - an FNP45 Tactical w/Trijicon RMR02 mini red dot sight. Cocked and locked carry, 15+1 capacity .45ACP loaded with Ranger T +Ps and it weighs less loaded than steel 1911. IMO, this is the ideal duty carry piece.

BTW, .45s make holes that .40s envy, and that's before they start expanding. I've carried 9s, .38s, .357s, .40s and .45s on duty, my preference will always be big bullets and my FN put lots of them at my disposal.

Oh yeah, I do carry a sexy custom 1911 off duty and I'm very cool.

"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old December 15, 2012, 02:16 PM   #194
PT-92

I think any of the fine hardware mentioned in this thread would make for very good LE handguns. I have a few of the recommended ones (45's, 92's a Hi Point clone etc.) but I do not own a Glock. That said, I have shot them 100's of times via both range rentals and buddies guns (in fact, I have become quite enamored with the 26 to complement my P11 for CCW though it's a tad larger...?).

With the Glock (for me) what separates it from the guns in my modest collection is that they are more of a "tool" so to speak than any other handgun I either have or have shot. Even when disassembled they seem so simple compared to say my 45 or Hi Power (no offense to the late great JMB of whom I idolize ). So out of curiosity I researched Gaston Glock and that's when I determined that the "tool" like feel of the Glock was intentional in that Glock never had any firearms experience whatsoever as an Austrian engineer. So when he designed the Glock handgun, his intention was to make a simply engineered tool-like gun that was virtual impossible to either malfunction or break. So that LE has found these to be a recommended Dept. issue surprises me not in the least.

Definitely will be my next (and perhaps last for a while ) firearm purchase.

However, they do malfunction now and then to be sure like any other man-made object:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbe-CdSGiJI

Old December 18, 2012, 12:50 PM   #195
Dave T

Except for my probationary year (academy and first 6 months on the street) I carried a Colt 1911 (Government Model in uniform and Commander as a detective and training officer). If I was to get back into LE, highly unlikely at my age and physical condition (disabled), I would still want to carry a 1911 of some persuasion.

Dave
Old December 19, 2012, 11:39 AM   #196
sils79

My first department issued Glock 22s, while I'm not a fan, we shot a lot and I got very good with it. Now at dept #2, we are allowed to choose our own gun on our own dimes of course. I carry a P226, it may be heavier and have less capacity than a Glock, but I am faster and more accurate with it. Our dept has a wide range of guns, about half carry Glocks 22, 23, 21, 27(detectives). A handful of sigs, 1 M&P, a few XD's, 1 HK USP, a few 1911s.
I really wanted to carry a Walther P99 or PPQ, but I have yet to find a good light bearing duty holster.
Old December 20, 2012, 07:17 PM   #197
toppermost

I love this thread. The consensus is either: A glock, or a 1911, or a sig, or a S&W M&P (or revolver) or an HK... in either .357, 9mm, .40, or .45.

Glad we solved this one. Again.

(I would probably just use a Glock 22, because "k.i.s.s.")
Old December 20, 2012, 11:09 PM   #198
bds32

I am an LEO and I am a rarity as I carry an 8 shot 627 revolver as primary and a snub as a back up. They have not made me change but I will be the last. All new guys have to choose a Glock, M&P, or H&k in 9, 40, or 45. Nothing else will be permitted for new hires or guys who switch. Still have a lot of vets with 1911's, Sigs, and XD's. I'll run the wheel with full moons and a New York reload until they tell me I can't.
Old December 23, 2012, 02:50 PM   #199
FairWarning

.45 ACP because of the manageable recoil and report for the power level and excellent variety of lethal rounds. Plus concealed carry is not a concern for a duty gun.

HK45 because that's my favorite overall duty .45 platform.