The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 22, 2006, 06:33 PM   #1
goste

model 11 question

Hey all,

I was hoping one of you experts, could answer a longtime question I have. I own 3 Rem. model 11's, and two Browning A5's. Needless to say, I like them.

One of the model 11's, was bought new by my grandfather. I don't know how old it is, but he passed away in 1934. It was given to me, out of the clear blue, by my older brother. I never had a clue. he recived it from my father, about the time I was born. I never knew about it.

Anyway, This one, and one more, has the sliding safety, in the trigger guard. My patrol gun,(I'm a LEO), has a crossbolt safety (?), like a modern 870.

Can anyone tell me about what time they changed safety's?

thank's..... Caspar
Old June 24, 2006, 09:45 PM   #2
goste

Anyone??????
Old June 25, 2006, 08:23 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

IRCC, the safety changed in the 30s.

If you call Remington at 800-243-9700 and give them the serial number, they will tell you the year it was made.

HTH....
Old July 13, 2006, 03:27 PM   #4
Jeff Mulliken

Browning changed the A5 to a cross bolt safety in late 1951.

I have never seen a Rem Model 11 with a "front of the trigger guard" safety.

Jeff
Old July 13, 2006, 11:24 PM   #5
warwagon

My dad had one with the trigger guard safety, but it was stolen from him years ago. As I recall, they were similar to the garand safety, and always seemed to make sense to me, as you can cary the gun strong hand ,holding the trigger finger in front of the guard, ensuring that the safety is on. When ready to fire, simply push forward.
Old July 16, 2006, 02:53 PM   #6
Jeff Mulliken

It sounds like a good idea till you have to use one, especially with gloves. putting your finger in the trigger guard to take off the safety goes against my instincts. Though I have several of each kind I prefer the cross bolt or a thumb (tang) safety to the trigger guard safety. Browning must have agreed.

Jeff
Old July 16, 2006, 05:37 PM   #7
farmall

My trap gun is a Model 11 that was made in 1923. It also has the safety inside the trigger guard. Kinda scary too IMO! It is handy there, but too easy to have an AD with. IIRC (as a trap gun I never use the safety) it works backwards of the way I think it should.
Andy
Old July 16, 2006, 08:08 PM   #8
Jeff Mulliken

It sounds like your talking about the earliest safety in the Browning patent autoloaders, which was in the trigger area and stuck down from above. It is the one referred to on occasion as the suicide safety, the one I'f referring to was produced later and stuck inside the trigger guard when safe and outside (to the front) when not safe...

I don't feel the urge to own the suicide model...

Jeff
Old July 16, 2006, 10:45 PM   #9
goste

Thanks for the info. guy's.

I guess my two would be the "suicide safety". I didn't know they had a third type.(Garand style).

I also agree with Jeff...... A safety inside the trigger guard is a bad idea.

I saw a guy discharge a lee-enfield on the range, by missing the mag lever, and mashing the trigger.....
Old July 27, 2006, 09:34 PM   #10
Gewehr98

Never considered my early Model 11's safety a "suicide model"...

Quote:
I don't feel the urge to own the suicide model.
Since it's rather hard for me to get the muzzle anywhere near my body when my finger's in the trigger guard, anyway. Big toe, maybe, but it wouldn't be my first choice for that particular task.

Here's the safety on mine:

Neural Misfires
Old July 30, 2006, 03:39 PM   #11
papajohn

model 11 question

My model 11 was manufactured in 1913. It has the safety inside the trigger guard and in front of the trigger. It was replaced in 1928 by a cross bolt safety, also inside the trigger guard but behind the trigger.