The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 21, 2006, 07:39 AM   #1
cavediver27

Swivel stud and sling for a Remington 870 question

I just purchased a new 870 Express Magnum w/ 18" barrel and a 2" extension along with a synthetic stock. The extension tube mount has the hole but not the stud for the sling swivel (must save Remington .20). Where is everyone getting these? Also, has anyone had a problem drrilling and mounting the stud in the synthetic stock? Any cracking problems? I really like the 870 but for me a sling is a must.

Thanks!
Old July 21, 2006, 12:50 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

You have options on the forward sling mount.

One is to buy a stud and stake it in the hole in the bottom of the barrel clamp.

Second, and the one I like the most, is to buy an Uncle Mike's Push Button sling swivel.
These snap directly into the large hole in the clamp.

http://www.unclemikes.com/adtemplate...catky2=2000188

To use, simply discard the mounting stud and snap into the hole.
I suspect that Uncle Mike's would sell just the swivel.
I'm also sure they'd sell the standard stake-in stud since they make an almost exact copy of the Remington factory barrel clamp:
http://www.unclemikes.com/adtemplate...catky2=2000180

I haven't installed a rear stud in a newer synthetic stock so I don't know what the procedures or problems might be.
Old July 21, 2006, 08:53 PM   #3
.45&TKD

I did mine a couple of years ago without problems, 870 HD synthetic stock with mag extension. Detachable swivel from Uncle Mike's.
I researched a lot before I did it.
Measure twice, cut once type of thing.

Sorry I can't remember more. Do a search, I know there is info here.
Old July 23, 2006, 08:17 PM   #4
hpg

I drilled and tapped the cap on the end of the mag tube. The one that holds the barrel on. Swivel stud screws right into it. hpg
Old July 23, 2006, 09:25 PM   #5
cavediver27

Thanks for the replys and another question

I picked up an Uncle Mikes # QD 115 UPS set which is "supposed" to be made especially for the Remington 870 w/ extension tube. Well, the mounting bracket actually doesn't fit a new 870. The bracket's center line of barrel to center line of magazine is 1/8" wider than the factory one. I got the factory bracket to work with the Uncle Mikes swivel and stud but not without some 'home smithing' but it looks like a factory one now. I drilled the synthetic stock and installed the other swivel without any problems.

Now for another question. Does the Truglo 'Glo-Dot II' work on the 870 HD w/ extension tube?
Old July 24, 2006, 08:14 PM   #6
9mmMike

Quote:
Second, and the one I like the most, is to buy an Uncle Mike's Push Button sling swivel.
These snap directly into the large hole in the clamp.
Not sure what clamp you're using but these do not snap into the factory clamps that I use. The hole is the correct size but there is not enough clearance between the mag extension body and the end of the UM stud. They bump into the mag tube before the ball-bearings are passed the edge of the hole. These will snap into a clamp that is not mounted on a gun but the stud will be too high and will not clear the mag extension, at least not on any of the clamps that I have. Perhaps UM's version of the stock clamp is a little taller?

Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old July 25, 2006, 12:24 AM   #7
Dfariswheel

Hummmm, looks like it. My clamp is an OLD one.

So, this leaves one option: Buy a standard type sling mounting stud and rivet it into place like Remington does.

Since Uncle Mike's clamp has a stud riveted in, possibly one of theirs would fit the Remington factory clamp.