The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 12, 2018, 09:38 AM   #26
JDBerg

In addition to the suggestions made previously, I’d suggest looking at a Walther Creed.
Old July 12, 2018, 07:10 PM   #27
jackstrawIII

Yeah, I'd go with an M&P... but Glock would work too. In my mind, the arguments of "more replacement parts available" and similar are kinda overblown. I find it really hard to imagine that you'd be using your pistol THAT much in an SHTF situation. You're more likely to starve to death, die from disease, or get shot yourself than to shoot your Glock so much that the springs break or something.

To me, the benefit of an M&P/Glock would be simplicity of operation. Fewer parts minimizes the (already small) chance of a malfunction and makes cleaning quicker and easier. Don't have access to cleaning supplies? Well, a good quality poly striker gun can run a long time without cleaning too. Another benefit would be that simple controls make it easier to use if you decide to loan it to someone who's not as gun savvy. Etc.
Old July 12, 2018, 07:50 PM   #28
PushPuller

Im going to go against the grain here and say anything CZ! Specifically the SP-01 or 75B.

I have a CZ 75B that I think is the best 9mm pistol iv ever had the privilege to shoot let alone own. Iv shot a little under 3k rounds through it and have had not one single malfunction! They are easy to take down and clean. Iv actually let mine get pretty nasty to see if I could force any malfunctions (about 650 rounds w/out cleaning) and no matter the ammo or crud level it functioned just like it did out of the box. I would advise cleaning per usual but in a pinch they can go a while without it. I like to think that they have a little eastern European AK-ness to them. On top of that, $500-$750 can get you most models that CZ has on the market.

In short..... Would I trust a CZ in a battle/bug out situation? ABSOLUTELY!

the worst part about CZs is they aren't in every gun safe in the US, so in a shtf situation spare parts etc... might be a lot harder to come by.
Old July 13, 2018, 02:40 AM   #29
kozak6

Come on now. Poly has been good enough for almost 50 years.

If you actually need the bugout bag, you are probably going to want to wear that pistol. A lighter pistol would be nice, and almost all modern semiautos are poly anyways.

What frame size were you thinking about? Full size in case you need to use it, or something concealable as not to draw attention?
Old July 13, 2018, 03:47 AM   #30
TruthTellers

Glock 34. You're going to be using standard iron sights, so every increase in sight radius and velocity will help.

That's for semi auto's, if you're willing to consider revolvers and want 9mm, look at the Ruger Blackhawk with the 9mm conversion cylinder. Then you have a powerhouse in .357 Magnum and the cheap and very common 9mm all able to be shot in one gun.
Old July 13, 2018, 05:18 AM   #31
Spats McGee
Staff

OP, I noticed in your ".308 deer semi auto rifle thread" that you "live in NJ so the laws are very strict." I'm glad that you're aware of that, and you'll need to take those laws into account in picking a gun & figuring out how to deal with this bag. I'm going to join in on the suggestion that you get some training to go along with all of this. It's often an opportunity to try several guns, as well as get some education on local law as it relates to firearms.

With all of that said, there are lots of guns that would fill the role, and lots of good guns have been suggested here. FWIW, my pick would be the G19. I don't know if NJ has mag-capacity restrictions, but if it does, something in the size of the S&W Shield might also be worth a look.
Old July 13, 2018, 11:50 AM   #32
tangolima

Glock 23 with 2 conversion barrels; 9mm and 357 sig.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old July 13, 2018, 03:22 PM   #33
mellow_c

Another vote for the Glock 19.

There isn't really any reason to choose a metal framed pistol over a polymer one in my opinion, for your application. Polymer is plenty strong and with the weight savings, you could justify carrying more ammo, assuming weight is of consideration.
Old July 13, 2018, 03:35 PM   #34
UncleEd

Just to be a bit off the wall, because I remember all
the hysteria among "survivalists" in the 1970s, why
not consider a Ruger Blackhawk convertible with
.357 and 9 mm cylinders. Now you'd have the choice
of .357, .38 Special and 9 mm. (And nary a worry
about magazine availability or bad ones.)

If big bore were to ever come into consideration,
then the Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt/.45 ACP model.

Never thought I'd crash the auto section of this forum.

Last edited by UncleEd; July 13, 2018 at 04:38 PM.
Old July 13, 2018, 03:44 PM   #35
MarkCO

KelTec Sub2000 would be a good option to go along with a Glock 19.
Old July 14, 2018, 07:37 PM   #36
Carl the Floor Walker

Beretta Nano, built like a tank, small, light weight or possibly Ruger Blackhawk convertible 9mm/357 another tank with some extra power if needed.
Old July 14, 2018, 09:32 PM   #37
hdwhit

Given that money may be an object; particularly for a gun that is going to languish in your "bug out" bag, you may want to consider a Taurus PT-111. Inexpensive. Reliable. Can be oiled down and stuck in a plastic bag like you're a gun runner (this is the way Taurus ships them from the factory) secure in the knowledge the oil isn't going to hurt anything.
Old July 14, 2018, 09:41 PM   #38
hdwhit

Quote:
Uncle Ed wrote:
...I remember all the hysteria among "survivalists" in the 1970s,...
So do I.

My father became a survivalist, quit his job, sold the house and bought a derelict catfish farm in Arkansas and await the inevitable collapse.

As Howard K. Smith noted when reporting on somebody's prediction of the end of the world having failed to occur, the soothsayers of doom and gloom have been right precisely Zero percent of the time. He suggested they start predicting days on which the world would NOT end to improve their track record.
Old July 14, 2018, 11:38 PM   #39
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
My father became a survivalist, quit his job, sold the house and bought a derelict catfish farm in Arkansas and await the inevitable collapse.
At least you had plenty of catfish, right?

In the meantime, it doesn't look like the OP has posted anything new since his initial questions. I wonder if he got it figured out.
Old July 15, 2018, 03:49 AM   #40
Spats McGee
Staff

My dad was a survivalist of the 1980s, which led to some great stories, so I'd probably enjoy a good survivalist discussion. That said, it's not really in line with TFL's mission. As the OP has not returned, I'm going to close this with my thanks to y'all for not letting it degenerate into a SHTF thread.

OP, if you return and need this re-opened, you may feel free to PM me.