The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 3, 2014, 07:01 PM   #1
ncrypt

Lee Case Length Gauge wear

I was slowly starting to notice my 308 cases getting shorter and shorter over the past several months. When I took a look at the Case length gauge, I decided to turn it out slightly in the cutter, only to find the neck of the case would turn the gauge back into the cutter causing short cases again. I also had issues with it cutting due to the slight space between the cutter and the gauge.

So I ordered a new one and did some measurements to find out that the gauge had worn .010 after about 1200 cases. I was pretty shocked that the gauge had worn that much, but it is metal on metal so it's expected I guess.

Anywho, I thought I would share this with you guys and see if others have found theirs to wear as quickly.

note: I use it in a drill so there is some excessive spin for sure
Old February 5, 2014, 10:07 AM   #2
flashhole

Hmmmmmmm - now you have me thinking. I've never noticed wear on the pin but haven't really looked for it either. I presently use the case length gauge tool for 5 different rifle cartridges and like you I use them in conjunction with a drill press. Over the years I've shortened two of them to provide a desired length. Guess I'll have to check them for wear.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old February 5, 2014, 03:37 PM   #3
hdbiker

case trimmer

I adjusted my trimmer pilot a couple times with a hammer,
then just bought a new one. They do wear, so will the anvil. hdbiker
Old February 9, 2014, 08:19 AM   #4
ncrypt

Yeah, I figured most wouldn't pay a lot of attention to that guide pin wearing. Hell I kind of thought it would last forever. lol Glad I got a few folks to think about it.
Old February 9, 2014, 10:34 AM   #5
Metal god

Had the same problem but different cause .I thought the tip was wearing but I found that the blades of the cutter was cutting into the base of the pin . That would let it seat a little deeper each time .

I had to stop using thsoe for all my cases . I de-bur and uniform flash holes and needed something that would trim the cases perfect every time . The Lyman universal case trimmer works great for this and worth every penny .http://www.midwayusa.com/product/795...ProductFinding

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old February 9, 2014, 05:08 PM   #6
ncrypt

Thanks for the link. I have been looking around at all the alternative case trimmers.