The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 10, 2008, 10:32 AM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

How to use 2 beads?

Throw the laughter right on out here... I am a simple poor redneck guy... I never tried a ribbed barrel with 2 beads. The Mav 88 has a white ball on the tip of the barrel and a TINY brass bead at mid way. Do I line up so the brass one is centered in the front one? Making like a white ring appearance around the little brass one?
Brent
Old July 10, 2008, 10:48 AM   #2
RoscoeC

The mid bead is essentially to let you know that you have your shotgun mounted right. Most of the stuff I have seen says to line it up so it appears to be a figure 8 with the front bead. In terms of shooting it is a distraction. If a gun fits you, there is absolutely no need for it.

A friend of mine and I have both removed them from our shotguns that had them. Just too distracting. Actually contributed to misses, because you are looking at the thing instead of the target.

Everybody's different, but for me, I say you are better off getting rid of it.
NRA Life Member
Old July 10, 2008, 11:10 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Since I had no clue how to align it I reckon I don't need it but I will leave it be as I can simply ignore the bugger...
Brent
Old July 10, 2008, 11:44 AM   #4
oneounceload

Use it to check for proper gun fit - once properly in your shoulder, the beads should line up like a figure 8...once you are comfortable that you can repeat that mount, don't worry about the beads and look at the target...if you focus on the beads, you will miss the target
Old July 10, 2008, 11:47 AM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I use the front bead to "aim" when slinging globs of lead at a deer... But I do know what you mean... for most shots it is my ranging compensator...
Brent
Old July 10, 2008, 03:35 PM   #6
BigJimP

Like others told you - if it lines up in a figure 8 - you probably have the gun mounted properly. Don't remove it / it isn't hurting anything where it is. Having a mid-rib bead is a good thing.

You should never look at the barrel / or the beads - for wingshooting / or clay target shooting. You always look only at the target - and you "feel the lead" but you don't let your focus go back to the barrel, ever....
Old July 11, 2008, 07:25 PM   #7
nutty ned

Just line them up, don't worry about aiming, once the initial alignment is there forget about it, they just tell you the gun is straight instead of canted.