The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 18, 2007, 01:15 PM   #1
Donaldo

Looking

I am currently looking to possibly purchase my first BP weapon. In am looking extremely hard at Colt 1860 and Remington 1858 designs.

I know Brass will fatigue and the gun will become loose after a bit of shooting, but just how much does it take for this to happen?
Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow. - Isaiah 1:17
Old February 23, 2007, 11:18 PM   #2
oldmaster111

It takes a lot of shooting and poor maintenance to loosen up the brass frame. Just keep your powder measure on the low end and you will get years of shooting out or your choice. Both of the revolvers you mention also come in steel frames. I have both and prefer the Remington, just my 2 cents.
Old February 23, 2007, 11:31 PM   #3
Derby FALs

The Remingtons are stronger but the Colts are more graceful looking. I have a Pietta 1860 Colt clone with the steel frame. VG condition. I would like to get $170 shipped. I am replacing it with a Colt is reason I'm selling it. You can email me for a pic if you are interested.
Old February 24, 2007, 02:29 PM   #4
38splfan

Brass.

There are lots of arguments for and against brass frame revolvers, but the bottom line is your decision will be based on your wants, needs, and budgets.

If you don't shoot extremely high volume, don't shoot excessively heavy loads (certainly no more than the manufacturer's recommendation), and take proper care of it, I'm sure it will last a good long while.

Modern steel and brass are refined to much higher standards than were the materials used in 19th century weapons, and I doubt you'll abuse a modern replica near as much as 4 years of Civil War hoslter wear.

Shoot your choice and enjoy
Old February 24, 2007, 09:34 PM   #5
Donaldo

I was thinking about a steel frame, but the brass frame with the blued steel just looks so damn sexy!!!

I have a birthday coming up. We'll see what the money looks like after that. The fact that you can buy them without licenses/waiting periods really opens up the options for aquisition.
Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow. - Isaiah 1:17
Old February 24, 2007, 10:29 PM   #6
mykeal

Buy what you like and take care of it

It is true that brass frames are less forgiving of abuse than steel frames. Abuse in this context means shooting "heavy" loads, frequently, combined with poor maintenance.

There is no need to shoot maximum or over maximum loads in any BP weapon. They are all more accurate at moderate loads, so if one tries to do the best he can, the brass frame should live as long as the steel frame.

Personally I don't like too much brass - the grip frame is usually about all I can accept in a CP revolver. But,

But, if the brass frame lights your passion, by all means go for it. The idea is to enjoy yourself. Just remember to take care of it. You don't need to baby it, just use common sense and treat it like it was meant to be treated, just like all the rest of us.
Old February 25, 2007, 11:40 AM   #7
Nortonics

Did someone say 1858?

Old March 8, 2007, 11:14 PM   #8
Donaldo

I have it on good authority that I am getting either an 1858 or 1860 in steel. I have to wait to find out wich one and if it's stainless or blued though.
Old March 8, 2007, 11:19 PM   #9
Keegster

Well, I think that the open tops would be plenty strong, considering the most powerful handgun until the .357 mag was an open top, the 1847 Walker. Man I wish i could afford one of these...
Old March 9, 2007, 03:01 AM   #10
Icy

Uberti produce their BP revolvers in White Finish (steel), too. But they are available by special order only! I was lucky to get my Uberti Walker in Slovenia. . For all finishes look here - than click on Products, than Black Powder Firearms, and than Special Finishes. There are no pictures for all finishes but here are:
my Ubertis!
Old March 10, 2007, 02:58 PM   #11
Donaldo

Got it today

It's a Pierta 1860 Colt in blued steel with brass triggerguard.

It's a little smaller and lighter that I thought it would be. I can't wait to shoot it.
Old March 10, 2007, 05:31 PM   #12
marcseatac

The 1860 Colt is my favorite open top. Mine just feels so nice in my hand. The grips are much larger than the 1851's. The loading lever is stronger also. It's a great gun!
Old March 10, 2007, 07:09 PM   #13
Old Dragoon

Donaldo,
Where in So Cal are you? I'm in Acton on the 14, near Palmdale/Lancaster. I shoot at Desert Marksmen in the Angeles National Forest up Angeles Forest Hwy.

I'm a 58 Remy man, but I just got a couple Pietta 1851 Colt Navy's that are trying to steal my heart away. Of the Colts I prefer the 1851 Navy's, but like them all.
Old March 10, 2007, 10:55 PM   #14
Donaldo

I'm not terribly far from the 91 an 57 in Anaheim.

The 1860 feels really nice in my hand. And the trigger is nice. Well, at least untill I clean the grease out and lube it properly.
Old March 13, 2007, 02:07 AM   #15
Donaldo

Don't get to shoot it yet. Dissasembled it last night for initial cleaning and found a hairline fracture that went 3/4 around the triggerguard.