The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 8, 2014, 10:44 PM   #1
5RWill

CZ 75 grip vs BHP Grip.

So i have yet to hold a full size CZ 75. I did hold a compact version which fit my medium sized hands very very well, though it was a little undersized. Also held a full size BHP and it might be the most comfortable handgun i've held to date. More so than a 1911 or an M&P of which i both love the feel.

My question is how much bigger is the full size CZ grip? Anyone that has a BHP and a CZ 75 could you snap a picture to compare?

I have my eyes set on a SP-01 if i can ever catch one in stock. I'm usually not a DA/SA guy, i hate my S&W 6906 we have at the house, and haven't fired a SIG DA/SA that i like. But that CZ 75 i pulled was wonderful. The single action stage felt very much like my M&P or Glock (which some would consider an insult, it's not) to me that is great. Because there is a noticeable stop where the trigger is about to break. Unlike any double/single i've pulled before, which more or less glides past the break and the hammer drops, then it goes off. Which i hate. The double action pull didn't feel like i was compressing a buffer tube spring with my finger either.

Need to just hold a full size 75 but i figured given they were so similar they would be similarly sized.

Also shot a 1911 finally and almost makes me want to rid of my polymer guns. Really enjoyed it. I doubt i ever rid of my M&P 40 but if my dad didn't like the glock 21 we split, it would be gone for something else.
Old August 9, 2014, 12:27 AM   #2
gyvel

The full size CZ 75 just has a longer grip compared to the Compact. All other dimensions are the same (at least on mine). If the Compact feels good in your hand, I'm pretty sure you will have the same experience with the full size except that you will have a little grip hanging below your hand.

FWIW, a full size CZ 75 fits nicely in an M-9 holster.
SIFE
Old August 9, 2014, 12:43 AM   #3
5RWill

This was my line of thinking as well. Just wanted to be sure. Thanks this is what i was looking for.
Old August 9, 2014, 05:08 PM   #4
Unlicensed Dremel

They're very similar; the CZ75 is just a smidge bigger.

Those are the two best 2-stack pistol grip ergos out there, IMO.
Old August 9, 2014, 06:40 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Agree with Unlicensed Dremel. Very similar. Great for folks with smaller hands.
Old August 9, 2014, 09:48 PM   #6
chris in va

If you don't like Da/SA, hunt down a CZ 75sa. Or get a regular 75b and convert it yourself.
Old August 10, 2014, 12:38 AM   #7
5RWill

I actually was setting my sights on the Shadow Single Action but realized they discontinued it. While your right i'm not fond of double/singles the CZ is something else. The double pull isn't overbearing like on most double/singles i've handled and the single stage is by far the best double/single single stage i've pulled. There is a noticeable point in travel when you know the trigger is going to break much like a striker fired pistol IMO except more crisp and cleaner. Most double/singles to me have a clean break on the single stage but it's so shallow that it feels as though your just crossing a line to let the hammer down. It's not very tactile at all to me which i hate. I compare the 75 to striker fired because there is some take up like most of the striker fired weapons i've fired. So it feels very natural to me. Add to the fact that i actually didn't mind the double pull, the trigger can be tuned to be very nice, and it's meant to be carried in condition 1, well i really love the thing.

I also have thoughts that eventually one day i will jump on the production bandwagon, in which the SA will not be legal. That said since i like and have shot limited the tactical sport has my eye for down the road. I'm also seriously considering trading my M&P 40 to fund an SP-01 in .40 if i like the 9mm version enough.
Old August 10, 2014, 12:21 PM   #8
trigger643

Old August 10, 2014, 01:20 PM   #9
5RWill

Thankyou for the pics Trigger, also the comparison i was looking for. It might be a hair bigger in size. Though one could compensate with ultra thin grips.

I also was looking at the P01 though i do not like the decocker i'd rather have the safety. Can't find a size comparison on it versus like a 3.5" 1911. Seems about the same size as a 4" 1911 or my M&P. Which would be a pretty decent size to carry though probably pretty applicable too. Just wish they had it with a safety for condition 1 and not a decocker..
Old August 12, 2014, 11:38 AM   #10
robmkivseries70

The CZ-75b can be carried "locked and cocked" if you wish so you never have to deal with the DA trigger. Best, Rob
Old August 12, 2014, 12:15 PM   #11
WVsig

I am going to disagree with a lot of the posts in this thread. The BHP and the CZ75 have similar grips but the length of pull on the two guns is very different. The BHP is a great gun for smaller hands but the 75B is not. It has more to do with the trigger curve than the grip. Look at the picture below. The difference in length of trigger pull can been seen clearly. Without having to be measured. Granted the 75B is in DA mode with the hammer down but if you have smaller hands the DA mode of the 75B will be much longer.

I also have to disagree with the statement that the 75B grip is the same as the P01/PCR/75B Compact. The frame dimensions are similar if not the same but again it is the trigger which makes the reach completely different. The Compact CZs are great pistols for smaller hands. The 75B IMHO not so much.

I have owned multiple CZ75s and multiple BHPs and always end up selling the 75Bs because they do not "fit" my smaller hands in a DA mode. I find myself constantly adjusting my grip to match the pistol.

If your hands are "medium" you should be ok with either gun. If the compact was a bit small the fullsized 75B might be perfect but IMHO you need to put the gun in your hand and then shoot it if at all possible because then and only then will you know if it fits.

It is a lot like buying shoes. Many times you try them on in the store walk around and think that they are perfect. Bring them home slap them on your feet walk, run, jump etc.... only to find out that they are not so perfect a fit. Asking someone will this gun fit my hands over the internet is a bit like asking will these shoes fit my feet over the internet... LOL
Old August 12, 2014, 03:17 PM   #12
5RWill

Fair enough. I'll need to go down to jackson one day. A friend of mine is sponsored by CZ and is a production master. He owns a P01 Shadow that he runs for production. I'll have to see if i can handle it one day. I said medium hands because medium size gloves in the hospital fit me lol. Though i would think for a guy i have small hands, hell i know for a guy i have very small hands. Like lady hands they're tiny. It blows.

On the smaller CZ 75 i held it was very comfortable. Albeit not as comfortable as the full size BHP, but still comfortable. I want to say it was just an old 75 compact, not a PCR or anything that small. Yeah i'm pretty sure it was this

I'm going to have to handle one though honestly i'd be shooting it in single stage 99% of the time less i start production any time soon.

Does the decocker on the tactical versions add any fuss to the trigger? I thought for a minute i might like the P01 with no safety. I know this flip flopping but i do own striker fired weapons with no safeties what so ever so i'm pretty used to it.
Old August 12, 2014, 03:52 PM   #13
WVsig

Quote:
Fair enough. I'll need to go down to jackson one day. A friend of mine is sponsored by CZ and is a production master. He owns a P01 Shadow that he runs for production. I'll have to see if i can handle it one day. I said medium hands because medium size gloves in the hospital fit me lol. Though i would think for a guy i have small hands, hell i know for a guy i have very small hands. Like lady hands they're tiny. It blows.

On the smaller CZ 75 i held it was very comfortable. Albeit not as comfortable as the full size BHP, but still comfortable. I want to say it was just an old 75 compact, not a PCR or anything that small. Yeah i'm pretty sure it was this

I'm going to have to handle one though honestly i'd be shooting it in single stage 99% of the time less i start production any time soon.

Does the decocker on the tactical versions add any fuss to the trigger? I thought for a minute i might like the P01 with no safety. I know this flip flopping but i do own striker fired weapons with no safeties what so ever so i'm pretty used to it.
I am in the same boat. Small hands.....

The PCR/P01/Compact are all the same size frame and barrel length. All share a similar slide profile the difference is the PCR/P01 are alloy with decockers and are DA/SA guns. The P01 has a rail the PCR does not. There are a few other small differences which are escaping me at the moment. The Compact is all steel with no decocker but a thumb safety. It can be carried cocked and locked or as a DA/SA gun.

As far as the decocker IMHO it does not really change the feel of the trigger. One advantage is that the CZ decocker drops the hammer to a half cocked notch which also shortens its DA trigger length which for me is a good thing.

All are good pistols. One thing about CZs is that the triggers can show some camming so I always recommend handling the exact pistol you are purchasing. Some cam worse than others. It can be corrected but it is best to start out with less IMHO.
Old August 12, 2014, 05:12 PM   #14
5RWill

Agreed, i don't remember feeling like i had to reach for the double action pull on the 75 compact i held but i could be mistaken. Here is what my hand looks like on my M&P40.

Old August 12, 2014, 05:32 PM   #15
RX-79G

For pistols of this type, the Baby Eagle/Jericho grip frame is even more slim and compact.
Old August 12, 2014, 07:01 PM   #16
stmichps

The CZ Compact has the same length of grip as the BHP, the full size CZ is approximately a 3/8" longer. If you put a full size slide and barrel on the Compact it has the same silhouette as the BHP.
Old August 14, 2014, 01:28 AM   #17
5RWill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L01EumYF-BU

I'm assuming they don't even make this model anymore? I've never seen a 75 compact without the P01 moniker on that looks just like a P01 and has a safety instead of a decocker.
Old August 15, 2014, 03:20 PM   #18
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
I'm assuming they don't even make this model anymore? I've never seen a 75 compact without the P01 moniker on that looks just like a P01 and has a safety instead of a decocker.
Check the CZ-USA website. The Compact is still being made.

The other differences between the Compact (with safety) and the PCR and P-01, is that the PCR/P-01 both have a slightly different trigger, with has more curve, and allows a slightly shorter reach.

CZ is now beginning to offer a new model, called the P-02, which has the P-01 frame, and the Omega trigger system. I don't know WHICH trigger that model uses, but the trigger can be swapped out.

Cajun Gun Works also offers a kit which shortens the longer DA trigger for the standard 75B.

Several of my shooting buddies loved the CZ, but had smaller hands and just couldn't cope with the long DA trigger pull.
Old August 15, 2014, 05:33 PM   #19
WVsig

You can still sometimes find a 40 S&W version with a rail and safety. I have never seen a 9mm version.
Old August 16, 2014, 12:18 AM   #20
railroader

Quote:
I actually was setting my sights on the Shadow Single Action but realized they discontinued it.

Single action only shadows in stock at cz custom. http://czcustom.com/CZ75SHADOWSABLACK.aspx
Old August 16, 2014, 07:02 PM   #21
Tribal Rose

I'm female and would say my hands are medium sized for a woman. And I have a CZ 75B and love everything about it. Admittedly mine is SA and I'm about to sell a Ruger SP101 over the double action pull.
Old August 16, 2014, 07:21 PM   #22
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVsig
The BHP is a great gun for smaller hands but the 75B is not. It has more to do with the trigger curve than the grip.
I have to agree as well. The BHP fits my hand well. A stock 75B is a bit of a reach. I wear exactly a medium sized glove. If I had bigger hands it would be a non-issue.

One thing I like to recommend is that if you do get a CZ and would like it a bit slimmer, check out the VZ grips. They look great and make a big difference in trigger reach.
Maintain situational awareness
Old August 16, 2014, 08:03 PM   #23
5RWill

I've looked at the ultra thin aluminum grips that CZ makes as well.
Old August 17, 2014, 05:37 AM   #24
Pilot

Quote:
The CZ Compact has the same length of grip as the BHP, the full size CZ is approximately a 3/8" longer. If you put a full size slide and barrel on the Compact it has the same silhouette as the BHP.
^^^^^^This. I have swapped my full size 75B slide onto my 75D PCR (lightweight alloy, compact), and it closely resembles the look, and balance of my BHP. I see no reason to do this, as the PCR shoots superbly with its shorter slide. It was still interesting to see though, and the PCR, and other CZ metal frame compacts hold 14 + 1 with factory mags. Mec-Gars may hold more.
Old August 17, 2014, 07:24 PM   #25
Jaywalker

Here's another view:

I'd say there's as much grip space (trigger guard to magazine plate) on one as the other with the Pcr a small bit shorter, but the CZ75 Pcr is just a hair longer, front strap to back strap.

Trigger reach is different. The CZ at half cock is 3.043" with the slack still in the trigger, and with the slack out is 2.78." With small hands it's pretty nice in single action.

IIRC, the full-size CZ75 is 5.5" tall or thereabouts and the Pcr is 5.0, so the grip should be about a half-inch longer in the full-size.

Last edited by Jaywalker; August 17, 2014 at 07:32 PM.