The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 29, 2008, 09:05 PM   #1
Flaman

Low brass shells not extracting from Remington 870's. It it just me?

I have two Remington 870 Express 12 gauge shotguns.

One of them is brand new, the other is about three years old. I've had problems with them ejecting Winchester and Remington low brass shells. The barrels and chambers are spotless in both shotguns, but the shells get stuck in the chamber after they are fired. It seems that all shell manufacturers have switched their economy lines over to low brass. I picked up some Federal
shells; I hope that they work better. It's funny, but I have a Winchester 1200 and it has no problem digesting these shells at all.

Have any of you experienced the same problem with the 870? Your thoughts please...
Old June 29, 2008, 09:40 PM   #2
RoscoeC

I keep hearing this, but I have 3 870's, and have never had any issues with any ammo I have shot. That ranges from light target loads to full power buck and slugs.

A couple of things come to mind.

How much have these guns been shot?
Have you detail stripped the guns and cleaned and lubricated the action?

What exactly do you mean by stuck in the chamber?
How do you get them out?
NRA Life Member
Old June 30, 2008, 06:45 AM   #3
oneounceload

It shouldn't be the low vs high brass, it is probably a steel case head - which is what most economy shells are made with now - they usually don't expand and contract the way brass does, which is more than likely the reason they are sticking
Old June 30, 2008, 12:51 PM   #4
Flaman

"How much have these guns been shot?"
Not Much

"Have you detail stripped the guns and cleaned and lubricated the action?" Yes

"What exactly do you mean by stuck in the chamber?" I mean stuck in the chamber

"How do you get them out?" I keep working action until shell comes free.

I think oneonce is correct. Brass expands and contracts / steel expands and stays...

With that said... What now?
Old June 30, 2008, 01:01 PM   #5
oneounceload

Easiest would be to try some brassheaded shells like Winchester AA and see if it is still an issue. I haven't had a pump for a while, so I'm sure there will be a few with way more pump knowledge than me answering - could it be an extractor issue?? or maybe the chamber being not exactly the right size??
Old June 30, 2008, 02:30 PM   #6
Jeff Mulliken

Chuck your cleaning rod in a hand drill, wrap your bore brush with a littel 0000 steel wool and spin it in the chamber with a little solvent on it.

Let us know if that works.

Jeff
Old June 30, 2008, 03:46 PM   #7
xm21

It's not just you,and the steel wool polishing of the chamber will make the problem go away.It took one time with my 870,but I had to go back and polish two more times on a relatives 870 untill it started functioning 100 percent.There are detailed info on how to do this here on TFL and other places online.
Old June 30, 2008, 06:38 PM   #8
rem870hunter

if you did right, and it sounds like you did. it most likely is not you.

no problems with mine until a month ago. my first jam/extraction problem. estate brand 12 ga. 1 1/8 oz. #7.5 shot. fired a few dozen, then had one where i pulled back and it didn't move. waited a few seconds and tried again it moved that time. i pulled it back both times with authority. i still have the empty hull.

no problems with remington gunclub or game loads #.7.5 and #8. federal low brass #7.5,#8 winchester low brass #7.5 game loads,or with with 2.75" or 3" buckshot of rem. fed. or win.
Old June 30, 2008, 06:41 PM   #9
rantingredneck

I had one do that with Brenneke Slugs, Had to knock them out with a cleaning rod. Did the chamber polish and no more troubles.
Old July 3, 2008, 03:55 PM   #10
Flaman

Thanks for the advise. I certainly see what you guys mean. I took a look inside both my barrels and found that the chambers were not very perfectly smooth. In fact, it looked like there were machine marks from where it had been sized at the factory by a lathe.

I took your advice and chucked up a bore brush (wrapped with steel wool), then polished up the chambers. They still aren't perfect, but they are much better than they were. I can see how the steel low brass shells could expand and hang up on these marks.

I will post a follow up once I get to shoot them.