The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 10, 2008, 12:25 AM   #51
Little Wolf

A trunk gun is a great idea, and a Mossberg 500 is a great gun for it.
Old June 18, 2008, 12:12 AM   #52
WacosSon

Wow

I honestly could not stop laughing - great image! The 2nd Amendment champion in me has problems with the Obama part, but I digress...

I agree that a Marine finish would be better for this type of application. NEVER store your ammo in the weapon. You will certainly have mushrooming. I would make sure that you keep your ammo in a tight container, possibly with a rag around it to absorb any moisture. As far as the gun itself, I'd oil it a few times a month and keep an eye on the condition of the plastic. I assume its plastic with a pricetag like that. Also, don't mount it to the trunk lid, but rather keep it under the carpet, maybe even in a pelican-type case for moisture.

Lastly, as so many have said, check with local law enforcement. The last thing you want is a speeding ticket search that lands you in overnight...
Old June 18, 2008, 06:07 PM   #53
kmrcstintn

mossberg in plastic storage case w/ foam padding & cheap military surplus dessicant packs for moisture control; ammo in separate ammo can (ideal) or in quart sized ziplock bags with smaller dessicant packs; if you want really rough-n-ready, keep ammo in elastic buttcuff shell holders inside storage bags, this way you slip the buttcuff on the buttstock of the gun & go (load on the run); occasionally clean the gun & oil the metal surfaces; switch ammo every few months; good to go!!!
Old June 20, 2008, 09:23 PM   #54
Wleoff

Okay, I'm 61 and grew up in the florida panhandle. For years I carried a Remington 870 in my truck, but never used it. I switched to a Marlin 30-30 because it seemed more practical. I've used it to put away a deer hit by a car, to shoot coyotes and wild dogs on a friend's farm, to kill a couple of snakes and a rabid racoon. All these things happened in rural settings. Now I'm mostly in an urban area and only stick the Marlin in when going out into the country. I do always keep a pistol in my F150 console. Still have to drive a truck.
Old June 20, 2008, 10:17 PM   #55
Crosshair

Personally, I would get a pistol caliber carbine. A Hi-Point 995 or 4095 comes to mind. Not only would it have a longer effective range than a shotgun, (From personal testing, effective range out to about 125-150 yards, lethal range out to a little past 200.) you would also have a much more precise weapon because of the better sights and because it is a rifle. Ammo is lighter so you can carry more.

Overall I think the PCC is the better choice.
Old June 22, 2008, 12:43 PM   #56
HogManMagnum

Dave, throw the mossy in the trunk and dont worry about it. check on it every so often and u'll be ok

i live in florida and i know the laws here too... FL is NOT NJ! fl sux for alot of reasons but it is VERY gun friendly. with no CCW u can have a loaded pistol in the glovebox and a loaded ak-47 in the trunk, LEGALLY!

now personally, i wouldnt want a shotgun as a trunk gun. sure, u cant beat the firepower and intimidation factor of a 12 ga but as already stated the shells could mushroom if kept loaded in the weapon and reloading is a pain. IMO the best long gun to have in the trunk is something magazine-fed that can be kept loaded and have a reload at the ready.

+1 on the Hi Point carbine. ugly as sin but reliable and cheap.

Dave, if u wanna use ur shotty got for it, just keep an eye on the ammo. a loaded buttstock sleeve in a plastic can with some silica packs seems like a great idea...

oh and thanx 4 the gay midget/cricket bat/obama story. i needed a good laugh
good shootin
Old June 29, 2008, 08:37 PM   #57
jaydottcomm

good thread

I loved the story i wish you would write more. But im with Billy D on this one. I didnt know NJ was like that. Charge the owner for someone stealing thier gun and using it. Who commited the crime? Why do people act like guns are the only thing that can kill a person? How bout a a set of Kitchen knives? If someone breaks into my house a steals my cutlery, going on to commit murder with it, i am to blame. Theres some politics going on there. I agree that there should be a level of responsibility involved in owning a firearm, but damn. For instance, I keep my silverwear where the kids cant reach. But thats crazy! I lock my house and my car. I should not have to bond the trunk with liquid cement, then wrap it in duck tape and slap a master lock on it to secure a fire arm. If i lock my trunk then it should be secure or at least considered secure by law. Now, if someone chooses to un"SECURE" my trunk and steal my belonging then all the guilt should transfer to the thief. Period. Its not as if you left the gun lying on the roof where anybody could get it.