The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 12, 2016, 04:16 AM   #1
RRPG

Please help ID this relic

Hi All

I am very rarely beaten by a relic, but this thing has defied identification for quite some time now.

Recovered from a British army dump site, this piece is quite heavy and about six inches from tip to tip, and about 2.5 inches at its widest point. This is one of numerous examples of the same item recovered from the site. Every single item recovered from this site has come from a weapon or weapon mount, armourer's tools, case catcher bags etc. etc. It is definitely something military given it came from in among known WW2 relics, but what the hell is it!!??

The site has produced weapon and tripod parts from Browning MG, Vickers MG, Bren, Besa, Lewis, Lee-Enfield, Sten and many more, but I simply cannot track this piece down. It could be part of a tripod, or perhaps a grenade launcher mount, or possibly part of a firing mechanism, but I just can't find it!!

The hollow rod has a thread at the base which shows something screwed into it. The piece on the other end, offset, would have originally moved up and down and has some sort of cam inside.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

RRPG

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06738.JPG (170.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06739.JPG (142.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06740.JPG (144.8 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by RRPG; February 12, 2016 at 04:24 AM.
Old February 12, 2016, 05:50 AM   #2
gyvel

I think this one needs a good soak in muriatic acid; It may be easier to identify afterwards.

I don't know why, but what comes to mind for me is some kind of fuse trip or igniter for a fairly large planted explosive device.
SIFE
Old February 12, 2016, 05:57 AM   #3
RRPG

It has already been cleaned as much as it can be I'm afraid. I worked on it for a long time, (including two days in citric acid and then a day with electrolysis), to get it to this state....

Old February 12, 2016, 06:11 AM   #4
gyvel

I've always used muriatic (aka "pool" acid [hydrochloric]) which fairly quickly dissolves any oxide of ferrous metal without doing any significant damage to non oxidized iron/steel.

Unfortunately, given the current state of that item, you might not have anything left after immersing in muriatic. LOL

About 40 years ago, I was able to salvage a 1952 commercial Colt 1911 that had been buried in south Florida for a number of years. It was a solid block of rust, somewhat like the relics you have been recovering, and a soak in muriatic put it back into operation. Of course, some of the non-protected springs and the grips, which the bugs got to, had to be replaced as well as the magazine but I still have and shoot it to this day. Actually, from a distance it looks like it was engraved. LOL

Consider muriatic for rust removal, but always use gloves and have a fresh water bucket to dump your items into after soaking. After that, neutralize with baking soda, rinse again, dry and oil immediately. It really does work pretty good.
SIFE
Old February 12, 2016, 06:40 AM   #5
A pause for the COZ

Dont think I can help you. Other than, what are the threads?
Imp, inch? That would at least identify country of origin. Possibly..
Old February 12, 2016, 10:46 AM   #6
RRPG

Thanks guys

Gyvel - This is precisely why I don't use muriatic acid. I have young children running about and citric acid, whilst not as effective, still does a damn good job but has the advantage of not dissolving children's fingers or hands or other parts of the body! Much safer, much cheaper, about 90% as effective
Old February 13, 2016, 12:24 AM   #7
gyvel

Oh, yes, I can see that it could be hazardous with children about. I'm "old," kids are gone and I live way out in the desert on a long dirt road, so I don't have those considerations to deal with.

What's even better is, as opposed to south Florida where the soil was extremely acidic, the desert soil is extremely alkaline so, when I want to get rid of the acid, I just throw it on the ground and they neutralize each other. Fun to watch it bubble and fizz. It always amazes me that it never seems to have the slightest effect on the desert weeds.
SIFE
Old February 13, 2016, 01:24 AM   #8
stonewall50

Please help ID this relic

Almost looks like something for a bayonet. But what do I know? Lol on second thought I don't think it would be. Hm. This is pretty cool. So what time period are we talking?
Old February 13, 2016, 10:15 AM   #9
highpower3006

Quote:
About 40 years ago, I was able to salvage a 1952 commercial Colt 1911 that had been buried in south Florida for a number of years. It was a solid block of rust, somewhat like the relics you have been recovering, and a soak in muriatic put it back into operation. Of course, some of the non-protected springs and the grips, which the bugs got to, had to be replaced as well as the magazine but I still have and shoot it to this day. Actually, from a distance it looks like it was engraved. LOL
Not to drift too far of topic, but I have a 1914 vintage Springfield Armory 1911 that sounds just like yours. Mine was hooked while fishing at a lake in California. Replaced the barrel and springs and it still shoots just fine. From a distance, it looks kind of like a Damascus finish.

OP, as for what that is, it looks as though it pivots, and it might be a latch to hold something. Maybe some kind of a vehicle mount for a weapon?
Old February 13, 2016, 11:37 AM   #10
RRPG

stonewall - I find these in the WW2 layer so not post war, but could easily be pre or even WW1.

Highpower - I see what you mean, but why the screw thread? The part with the screw thread is hollow by the way.......Which makes me think it's hollow to allow the pressure of a weapon firing through it. Grenade launcher?
Old February 13, 2016, 10:10 PM   #11
AxlMyk

Instead of muriatic acid, I use electrolysis to remove rust from the vintage wood working machinery I restore. We use Arm and Hammer baking soda as the electrolyte, and a battery charger.
Old February 14, 2016, 10:36 AM   #12
RRPG

Thanks AxlMyk

Still not ID'd.....so what the hell is it !
Old February 14, 2016, 06:20 PM   #13
highpower3006

Quote:
Highpower - I see what you mean, but why the screw thread? The part with the screw thread is hollow by the way.......Which makes me think it's hollow to allow the pressure of a weapon firing through it. Grenade launcher?
I don't think that it would be designed to fit inside a barrel due to the fact that there would have to be internal threads in the bore. I think there would be a problem with carbon filling up the threads.
Old February 14, 2016, 09:11 PM   #14
emcon5

Anyone else happy it isn't a machine gun?
Old February 15, 2016, 07:12 AM   #15
RRPG

A few more pictures that may help. One of the relics has markings on it, as shown below.

6163511B
C.F.S. Co.
LH

Not sure if I mentioned but the piece is roughly 4 inches long and 2 inches wide.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06759.JPG (147.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06754.JPG (215.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06757.JPG (232.3 KB, 22 views)
Old February 15, 2016, 07:18 AM   #16
hartcreek

Any chance those could be the add on spike feet of a bipod or tripod? It sure looks to me that the center section is screwed in by using an allen wrench.

Or it could be the socket part for a soft top like this and the bows are simply gone.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cove...nhSsNisj18M%3A

Last edited by hartcreek; February 15, 2016 at 07:29 AM.
Old February 15, 2016, 11:23 AM   #17
RRPG

hartcreek - Possibly, but why would there be a cam inside one piece? I followed the link to the soft top cover but it took me to a general page. Any chance you could show me what you mean? We have found ammo chutes and other items weapon related but that would have fitted to a vehicle at this site.