The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 2, 2016, 07:03 PM   #1
xandi

looking for a source of cheap bullets

Hello
I need some help finding some cheap bullets
.357 for my revolver and .224 for an ar
Thx
Old February 2, 2016, 09:35 PM   #2
Tsquared

Ammoseek.com has "reloading" as an option in their query.
Old February 3, 2016, 06:12 AM   #3
mxsailor803

Since you didn't say what kind of bullets (plated, jacketed, cast, etc.) that you are looking for, I can suggest Xtreme Bullets have great deals on plated bullets that I use for all my range ammo.
Old February 3, 2016, 10:34 AM   #4
MarkGlazer

Best general source for reloading components: gunbot.net

Cast lead only; Bayou Bullets or Missouri Bullet Company - the least expensive you will find on the web
Old February 3, 2016, 10:52 AM   #5
bfoosh006

No Offense intended at all... but the cheapest bullets will get you horrible accuracy...especially in the .224 size... and IMHO, you are just wasting money / powder / primers / time by even using them.

If you really meant inexpensive reasonable quality bullets... look for Hornady 55gr FMJ or 55gr SP in bulk, and try RMR bullets for .357 bullets.

Using the Hornady .224 bullets will improve group size quite a bit compared to the "cheapest" 55gr bullets out there.... for very little more money.

What is the phrase ? penny wise and pound foolish.

Again no offense.
Old February 3, 2016, 11:13 AM   #6
g.willikers

For lead, I use these:
http://www.pennbullets.com/
Excellent quality.

For plated, I use Xtreme:
www.xtremebullets.com
Old February 3, 2016, 11:34 AM   #7
KEYBEAR

I have been buying my cast bullets from SNSCASTING for some time .
I really like the bullets and more important I like the people .

A 158 gr, bullet for the 38 is $70.00 - per 1000 to your door .
Good bullet good price good people
Old February 3, 2016, 02:17 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

'Cheap' is a relative term. What you think is cheap isn't necessarily to another guy. Like mxsailor803, the type of bullet matters too.
Anyway, Midway is listing Hornady 55 grain FMJ's and SP's at $469.99 per 6,000 plus shipping. Their price for Armscor bullets is less than that, $90ish per 1,000, but those are currently on back order.
Rainier plated 158's are on sale at $99.99 per 1,000.
Buying components on-line gets expensive quickly due to shipping costs. Shipping costs are not set by the retailer. They're set by the carrier according to the size of the package, its weight and distance.
Old February 3, 2016, 03:47 PM   #9
alexcue

^^^ Xtreme bullets has Free Shipping for the month of February.
Old February 3, 2016, 08:50 PM   #10
xandi

My revolver is a snub nose so I'm looking more for cheap bullets
The ar has a 16 inch 1-7 twist barrel and I want to improve my shooting on it
Old February 3, 2016, 11:55 PM   #11
Clark

We have an instinct to get cheap bullets, even when drowning in money.

That would be ok, as long as we are aware of the advantages of more expensive bullets.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old February 4, 2016, 12:54 AM   #12
emcon5

For .224: http://www.gibrass.com/projectiles.html
Old February 4, 2016, 03:10 PM   #13
buck460XVR

Quote:
looking for a source of cheap bullets

yeah...ain't we all.

I've found the best way to buy bullets is to buy them when they are on sale, not when you need them. Thus I cruise the online sources for bullets in the calibers all the time, even tho I have quite a bit of stock built up in all the calibers I reload. If someone has a 20% off sale or free shipping on the bullets I use the most, odds are I will buy some. Knowing what those bullets usually go for tell me what is a good price. Last year I happened into a small town mom and pop sporting goods store. In the back behind the minnow tanks they had a bunch of Hornady .357 158gr and .44 mag 240gr XTPs with prices we saw a decade ago. Even tho I didn't need them I bought 'em....all of them. I stick with proven components when I buy in bulk. Unless I have used them and know they work well for me, I don't buy more than a few. 2000 bullets, no matter how cheap, ain't a bargain if they don't work well for me. They're just a waste of good powder to send them downrange.
Old February 4, 2016, 04:56 PM   #14
TailGator

Quote:
Xtreme bullets has Free Shipping for the month of February.
They offer that pretty frequently - the last few days of the month IIRC. If you plan ahead just a wee bit, you need never pay for shipping from Xtreme, and I have always been pleased with what I bought from them.
Old February 6, 2016, 09:00 AM   #15
jetinteriorguy

Extreme Bullets for Copper coated, and Acme for HiTec coated.
Old February 6, 2016, 09:14 AM   #16
axismatt

I really like buying from X-treme. For general plinking, I have had only great results in 9mm, .40, .45 acp, .38/.357 & .44 magnum. Haven't used them for rifle bullets, but I would assume they are just as good.

Pricing is really good and they have the brass buy-back program which is also a great way to discount your orders. They give $1.40 per pound on brass you send them, towards any open order. After shipping costs, I find I am getting about a 20% discount on my orders when I mail them my brass. Something to consider.
Old February 6, 2016, 11:28 PM   #17
blackswamp

I use Midsouth 55gr fbhp for my AR's and My savage bolt action predator rifle. I even won a 200 yard benchrest shoot one time with these bullets.
Old February 8, 2016, 12:20 PM   #18
Jbotto

I've found the midsouth Varmint xtreme bullets shoot pretty well. A bit better than the bulk or value loaded ammo you can get on sale at the major retailers. Personally for a bit more money, I've found that the Varmageddon bullets that Nosler puts out is a good buy for my money. They are an accurate bullet through my Savage, and they are useful for more than punching paper or ringing steel. My .357 gets a steady diet of Missouri Bullet Co. 158gr SWC's. I don't think I can shoot much better than those shoot in my short barreled Ruger.
Old February 11, 2016, 01:13 AM   #19
Machineguntony

There are many advantages to more expensive bullets. I do a lot of shooting, so I should know.

Most importantly, if you miss the target with a cheap bullet, it's always the bullets fault. It's not your fault.

Conversely, if you use an expensive bullet and you miss the target, for a fact it's your fault, and not the bullets' fault. The bullet is perfect, after all.

I love cheap bullets.
Old February 11, 2016, 06:41 AM   #20
Road_Clam

I did a test at 200 meters a few years ago and loaded up my 3 best recipies using Hornady 55 gr fmjbt bulk "cheap" bullets, 52 Nosler CC "factory seconds" and standard 52 SMKs. The 55's shot about 1.7 moa, the 52 CC's shot 1 moa, and the SMK's were tops at .66 Moa. Each bullet was done shooting 4 shots, and calculating the best 3 shot group. I tested using my Bushmaster 24" Varmint shooting benchrest. So per my data you pay extra for better precision. I got a great deal on the 52 CC's so they are the best compromise of " cheap" and "accurate". YMMV.
Old February 11, 2016, 07:55 AM   #21
oley55

Everglades Ammo

Everglades Ammo, super fast free shipping, and dang good prices on most everything.

http://www.evergladesammo.com/bullet...e-bullets.html

I loaded the version 1 55gr and they were not real accurate but good enough for the Walking Dead apocalypse. The version 2 are US made and probably better, but haven't had the chance to try them yet. Also been meaning to try their 68gr match bullets as a cheaper alternative to Serria's 69gr MK's.
Old February 11, 2016, 08:56 PM   #22
sawdustdad

Another vote for xtreme bullets for plated pistol/FMJ .223 and Missouri Bullet Co. for lead/coated pistol bullets.
Old February 12, 2016, 06:27 AM   #23
Road_Clam

There's times when I shoot "cheap" bullets such as taking a newer shooter to my gun club, or when I'm doing short range off hand training, but generally speaking I load up proven accurate quality bullets. Powder and charge is equally if not more of a factor in accuracy. I can achieve moa with 55 fmj bulk but I can't hold moa consistiantly. As I try to advance my handloading skills I'm trying hard to minimise the negitive variables. Running cheap bullets all the time adds that negative variable.
Old February 12, 2016, 08:40 AM   #24
Wishoot

Eggleston Munitions is always running a decent special. I've bought and loaded some of their stuff, but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

I typically buy Acme Bullets. They aren't necessarily cheap or expensive. They're good (and local for me).
Old February 12, 2016, 09:54 AM   #25
Tsquared

Quote:
Eggleston Munitions is always running a decent special. I've bought and loaded some of their stuff, but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.
If you are using the Eggleston coated SWC or RN you need to check the diameter of the bullets. I tried them and found their .452 size to be the maximum size and over a third at .451 and about 10% at .450 in size. My 45 does not like their slugs at less than .452 in size.

Their .356 size coated do not have as much deviation and work well in all of my 9mm guns.