The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 12, 2013, 11:01 AM   #1
basscrazed

Hogue gripsd, defective from factory!

I purchased a set of Hogue Monogrips for a Ruger new model single-six revolver. After trying to install these for TWO DAYS i contacted Hogue by phone for help. I called 5 different times, got 5 different "experts" and was given 5 different solutions (none worked) to the problem. I finally contacted the gun shop i purchased them from and got a refund. HOGUE should have backed their product but all they did was make excuses! These grips are defective from the factory and should not be sold! Hogue told me that "it was my problem" since i purchased them thru a dealer!!"GREAT" WAY TO RUN A BUSINESS!!!!!! LOOK ELSEWHERE FOR AFTERMARKET GRIPS...!!!
Old February 12, 2013, 05:02 PM   #2
PawPaw

And yet your topic header has a typo in it. Great way to show your concern for quality control.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old February 12, 2013, 06:07 PM   #3
alex0535

My monogrips were stressful enough to get onto the gun that I had to take a break, had someone else try to make it work. But we got it eventually and I couldn't be happier with mine. It was stressful enough that I was almost at the same conclusion but that conclusion turned out wrong.

You got a refund for a product you weren't happy with. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with Houge customer service, but the shipping alone is going to be as much as the grips cost in the first place. The other option is taking them to where you bought them and getting a refund, which you did without issue.

You are also one of the few people I have ever heard complain about the quality of Hogue grips. I am sure some people don't like rubber grips, but the majority of people that buy them, like them.
Old February 13, 2013, 10:05 AM   #4
bird_dog

I have Hogue Monogrips on 4 of my revolvers. Each time it seemed like it was going to be IMPOSSIBLE to get them on, but I got the screw to catch at the last minute.

I think they're great. Haven't had to deal with their customer service dept, however.
Old February 13, 2013, 10:48 AM   #5
RickAZ

I bought a set for my S&W 29-2 and was having problems installing them. Took them, along with the gun, back to my lgs where I bought them. They installed them for me. Took about 5 minutes. Now that's customer service.
Old February 13, 2013, 07:40 PM   #6
Venom1956

Quote:
And yet your topic header has a typo in it. Great way to show your concern for quality control.
^^^ Made of Win.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old February 13, 2013, 07:52 PM   #7
jason_iowa

I love all of the ones that I have gotten.
Old February 13, 2013, 10:17 PM   #8
Prof

Great grips. I love mine and anytime I've contacted the shop they have all been helpful and friendly.
Old February 13, 2013, 11:21 PM   #9
Dan-O

I have at least 4 or 5 sets of Hogue grips on a few of my guns, and have never had an issue with them.
Old February 14, 2013, 06:46 AM   #10
dahermit

I bought a pair years ago that were not for the gun for which the package was marked. As I remember, the package indicated that they were for a S&W N frame, but upon opening and examination, they were for a Ruger with that long stud they use instead of a grip-frame. They were of course, impossible to install on a S&W. Sold them to a guy I knew who had a Ruger, they fit it fine.
I like Hogue grips, but they take a person who is patient, mechanically astute enough to figure out (with the help of the instructions), how to install them. Otherwise, take them to a gunsmith and pay to have them installed if you do not have the requisite skills to figure out how/why you cannot get them on.
If I were a nubie, I certainly would not pronounce them "defective", until someone who knew more about it than myself examined them. Like they told us in basic trainning in 1962, "...if the rifle will not fire, it is not because of a dud in the chamber, it is because of the dud behind the chamber."

Last edited by dahermit; February 14, 2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old February 14, 2013, 09:07 AM   #11
drail

It is very likely you recieved a package where someone had switched the grips with another package. I use to be in charge of selling and stocking all of the grips for the shop I worked in and people were constantly mixing them up, especially when we were set up at a very busy gun show. If you look at grips on Fleabay you will see LOTS of sellers posting pics of grips that are NOT what the package claims them to be. Hogue has the model stamped on the inside of the grip, so go by that regardless of what the package says. I have sold and installed a lot of Hogue grips on customer guns and my own guns for many years and I have never seen anything defective come from Hogue. If people mix up the products you can't really blame Hogue for that. And they are some of the best grips out there for the money.
Old February 14, 2013, 10:13 AM   #12
pete2

What drail said. I worked for a store that sold such as this and stuff did get swapped around by customers. It sounds like that's what happened. I have several Hogues and no problem at all.
Old February 14, 2013, 03:53 PM   #13
CajunBass

Geee....it's not like you bought an airplane that had the wings fall off. Hogue grips cost what? Twenty? Twenty-five bucks? Tops? It's hardly a life changing event.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old February 14, 2013, 03:57 PM   #14
spacecoast

I won't shoot anything except Hogue grips on a revolver, they fit me that well.
Old February 14, 2013, 04:00 PM   #15
kahrguy

Interesting that Hogues makes factory grips for both S&W abd Ruger and have made millions of them You probably had a set of grips someone screwed around with and or switch packageing in your gun shop.

Sounds much more like a gun shop issue. Not hogues. Take them back for cash or an exchange for a new ordered grips. I also have 5 set of them with zero issues.
Old February 15, 2013, 11:00 AM   #16
dahermit

Quote:
I won't shoot anything except Hogue grips on a revolver, they fit me that well.
I will second that. The only problem I have with them is, with prolonged shooting the recoil causes a blister on the inside of the thumb just up from the web of my hand to form. That is of course if I have not shot frequently enough to maintain the Calais that forms there in the Spring and Summer.
Old February 15, 2013, 01:39 PM   #17
drail

Yup. After every gun show that we set up at I would have to spend almost an hour going through several boxes of grips to find all of the ones people had "switched out". I am also a big fan of Hogues. All of my competition 1911s and revolvers wear Hogue grips. Guy Hogue understood how important the grip is. With Hogue grips you may not get the exact grip you like on the gun but it will be the same exact grip every single time. Fortunately I have medium sized hands. If you have small or large hands they may not work for you.