The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 18, 2011, 09:16 PM   #1
cmdc

Stoeger Condor O/U

OK guys, don't laugh and start flaming me. I bought this gun today because I was in a hurry and wanted an O/U shotgun for this weekend, and this was the only one they had. What can I expect from it?

It is 12 Ga., 26" barrels. It has screw-in choke tubes, but I have no idea what they are, and there was no info in the manual. It is new, and points good, and it was CHEAP. Is it a sleeper or a piece of junk? I just want to know what I'm in for. I have other shotguns, but no O/U, and was going to get a Browning or Benelli, but didn't have time to go to a bigger store miles away.

Thanks

I was only kidding about the laughing and flaming! Feel free.
Old October 18, 2011, 10:05 PM   #2
rbursek

I am sure it will be fine for hunting and a few rounds of trap/skeet/clays a year, but I would have driven the extra miles and got a Browning if it is for a life time gun. Usually the tubes are marked or have little notches cut in them, and have a legend to how many notches to what choke they are.
Bob
Old October 18, 2011, 10:09 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

QC seems to be hit or miss on these, going by Net talk.

A B gun will definitely last longer,but if this handles your needs for a decade or so, it's worth it.

Pattern and find out where the barrels shoot.
Old October 18, 2011, 10:14 PM   #4
BrittB

They are good guns. I have one and have shot it a lot and it still works great and does everything I want it to do. I mostly use it for skeet and sporting clays.
Old October 19, 2011, 10:38 AM   #5
cmdc

Thank, guys. I am going to shoot it this weekend and see how it does. It was only $350, so if it's any good at all, I can't complain. I'm definitely going to get a B gun soon too, though.

Actually, the shop had a used Browning Citori for $800, but it had 26" barrels that did not use choke tubes, and when I get a 'real' O/U I want 28" bbls with choke tubes, so I thought the Stoeger made more sense in the short run. I might've been wrong about that, but oh, well.
Old October 19, 2011, 10:53 AM   #6
oregunner

It's always hard to give opinions to a guy that has already bought the gun. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it. If nothing else you have a loaner gun for a buddy when you buy the gun you really want. Mark
Old October 19, 2011, 11:45 AM   #7
oneounceload

Give a GOOD cleaning before you go hunting to get the rust preservative out of it - including the choke tubes and threads. You'll then be able to tell what chokes are in the gun - they will need a little grease upon reinsertion, as will the hinge pin - NOT oil.

QA/QC is iffy - some good, some not -longevity is not there yet either - these were built to sell at a certain point, not built to great specs and then priced accordingly, so "you get what you pay for" comes to mind.

Hopefully yours will get you through your season.
Old October 19, 2011, 12:02 PM   #8
Pahoo

So far so good !!!

A friend of mine just won one in a raffle and brought it over to show it to my. Up till then, Had not handled one and thought the same as most folks. I was pleasantly surprised on the fit and general "visual" quality. However, have not shot it yet and we plan to do so, next week. I'm not much into shotguns but would not hesitate to get one of these, in a 20Ga.

Be Safe !!!
Old October 19, 2011, 12:51 PM   #9
oregunner

"However, have not shot it yet and we plan to do so, next week. I'm not much into shotguns but would not hesitate to get one of these"

There you go, a ringing endorsement from someone who isn't really into shotguns, touched one, but has never shot one. it doesn't get any better than that. Don't you just love the internet. Mark

Last edited by oregunner; October 19, 2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old October 19, 2011, 01:06 PM   #10
Pahoo

Never said I could't shoot one just don't care much for them.

Quote:
touched one, but has never shot one.
If you are smart enough to make off the hip comments, then you should be smart enough to read my previous posts. ....

I stated that I have never shot this particular one and clearly stated that fit and handling was good. ....

I also did not list that I am a plank owner in our skeet and trap club, do private appraisals on all firearms except black guns. Certified Hunter Safety instructor on the rifle, shotgun and M/L station. However I'm not as qualified as you, on shooting my mouth off. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 19, 2011, 01:25 PM   #11
oregunner

The whole quote: "A friend of mine just won one in a raffle and brought it over to show it to my. Up till then, Had not handled one and thought the same as most folks. I was pleasantly surprised on the fit and general "visual" quality. However, have not shot it yet and we plan to do so, next week. I'm not much into shotguns but would not hesitate to get one of these, in a 20Ga."

Anyone that recommends buying a $350 O/U shotgun, throws up caution flares, in my opinion. I won't get into trading qualifications with you, but have learned, sometimes the hard way, that cheap and O/U in shotguns doesn't pan out, almost ever. Someone with experience, as apparently you have, is doing a disservice to recommend such a purchase to an unsuspecting buyer. I am active at our gunclub, at the shotgun range, and could go on and on about the garbage people bring out to shoot, and wonder why it isn't working, or won't hit what they are shooting at. We may have to just disagree about Stoegers. Mark
Old October 19, 2011, 01:26 PM   #12
BrittB

I also like how most the people who call them crap have never even seen one in person. I shoot the hell out of mine and it still shoot like a new gun. When something goes wrong, I will be the first to post it here!
Old October 19, 2011, 02:57 PM   #13
oneounceload

Quote:
I shoot the hell out of mine and it still shoot like a new gun.
Please define and clarify - is that a box or two now and again? Is that a major tournament every weekend? Is it something in between?
Old October 19, 2011, 06:37 PM   #14
jaymce

CMDC,

While I do not claim to own one, I do know several shooters who do own them. While they are not B-guns and will not shoot like one, the Stoegers I know of are good shooting guns and have been reliable.

The club I belong to has one and it sees around 1-200 rounds a week on average and gets cleaned about once a year if lucky. It has been going strong for 5+ years that I know of. One shooter had some problems with one and had to send it back. Stoger took care of is quickly and he has not had problems since.

Save for the higher end gun you want and enjoy the Stoger in the mean time.
Old October 19, 2011, 06:44 PM   #15
cmdc

OK guys, the whole reason I started this thread was because I realize that it is a very inexpensive(cheap)shotgun, and went into this with my eyes open. I was not looking for ringing endorsements to try to assuage my misgivings, of which I have none, but a really honest assessment of what it was that I purchased, from those who have had experience with this gun. I have no high expectations given the price-point. As I stated earlier, I will be getting a higher-end O/U later.
Old March 24, 2012, 12:25 PM   #16
Jokergbfan

Good gun for the price

I bought my Condor last week, I shoot 3-4 rounds of skeet every week and wanted an O/U because I already have a Remington 870 pump and wanted to try something new. Since I bought it I have put 100 rounds through it and shot better than I ever did with my 870 or my buddy's beretta 390. The condor swings and shoots wonderfully, not sure about the reliability yet but I am a stickler for keeping my things in perfect condition, I have put 1000's of shells through my 870 with no problems because I clean and lube it after every shoot. I plan to do the same with the condor and see how it holds up. Every gun is different and it's up to the shooter whether or not it shoots well, I want a nice O/U but money is tight so I'll see how this one holds up.
Old March 24, 2012, 01:01 PM   #17
Hansam

I HAD a Stoeger Condor and sold it because I preferred my pump over the OU.

That aside I can't say I found anything wrong with the gun for the price you pay. Its a decent gun and will continue to shoot as long as you take decent care of it. Is it going to be as good a gun as a Browning Citori? Not at all but you're also only paying a third of the price. Is it a piece of crap? Not all. When I had my Condor I shot low 20's consistently - no better or worse than I normally shoot nowadays. I doubt that I'd shoot any better if I had a B gun either.
Old March 24, 2012, 03:28 PM   #18
BrittB

Mine is still pounding them out without any trouble. It's a keeper!