The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

View Poll Results: to bring or not to bring
Bring it! 4 100.00%
What the H E double hockey sticks are you thinking? 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 25, 2009, 11:36 PM   #1
Dust

Airgun for small game on a pig/deer hunt?

Father and I are going pig/deer hunting in a few weeks, and I am trying to make this decision. I was told that there are alot of little creatures, like racoon, possums, squirrels etc where we are hunting. We will be hunting pigs at night and deer during the day. I am all about fresh bacon, but the deer hunting has never been my thing. I dont want to get into trophy hunting, because I have a feeling it will cost a lot of money. What I was thinking about, was bringing my 12 fpe airgun for some varmint shooting if the chance arises. Dad said when he went to see the place, the hunters that were there said they hadn't seen anything, so I am not too confident on the buck of a lifetime walking in front of me. So I thought, why not bring a quiet airgun to shoot the little stuff that is evidently abundant there.
Old November 26, 2009, 06:42 AM   #2
Netzapper

Raccoons always seem entirely too durable to be taken with an airgun. I like the little guys, so I let 'em be. But my father in law traps 'em around his house, gives 'em a head start, and then shoots at them. He started out with a .22 Henry, but was finding it took the whole tube to actually kill them. He switched to his .357. Moral of the story, an air rifle is probably insufficient.

Anyway, why not bring it along? Squirrels are good eating.