The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 9, 2008, 04:48 PM   #1
varoadking

Sporting Clays Shotgun

Looking at the Beretta's - the AL391 Urika 2 X-TRA GRAIN 12ga to be precise - the competition series has the white front bead and a steel mid bead sight, where the field series has just a front steel bead.

Any significant difference and/or reason to go with one or the other for sporting clays?

I think I'd like a 26" barrel, and it only comes in the field configuration. Or should I opt for a 28" barrel, and if so, which sights?

Also - which choke tube to use?

Sorry - didn't know it would be this difficult...

TIA
Old November 9, 2008, 09:45 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Longer barrels seem to work better for most shot opps in SC,roadking.

I'd go for 28" unless they make a 30".

Re choke tubes, on my home course I use Cylinder, 8 POC and 16 POC.

The 16 POC one works out to Light Mod and may be the best compromise.

HTH....
Old November 10, 2008, 04:25 PM   #3
BigJimP

I use the same model and barrel length of O/U for Skeet, Sporting Clays - and hunting. There isn't really anything unique about a "sporting clays gun" - in my view.

For all these games and hunting upland birds - I like a gun that swings pretty quickly - and is about 8 to 8 1/2 lbs. If I go to a lighter gun - I go to a longer barrel. In a semi-auto I like a 30" barrel / especially since its a lighter gun usually - and the longer sight plane seems to help me execute the shot better.

Barrel length is a personal thing - but 30" barrels on O/U's are very common on skeet fields, etc these days. But if 30" feels too long to you / then go with a 28". I think you might find a 26" barrel on the Beretta very light and a little "whippy" vs staying on the target line as you follow thru - but its whatever feels good to you.
Old November 10, 2008, 08:01 PM   #4
oneounceload

my O/U wears 32" in 12 and 30 in 20 gauge. - on an auto like you're looking at, 28 or 30 would work out just fine. Try to borrow or rent and try them to see which one feels good to you.

At my local 5-stand, SK/IC is all you need. The SC course I shot Sunday?? Different animal - There were stations with 2 fairly close targets, some had two distant targets, and some with one of each - during the shoot, I used a SK, IC, LM and a Full (Cause I don't have an IM)

whatever gun you wind up getting, go to the pattern board and see what each choke does with the loads you will most likely be using, to see what they do in YOUR gun
Old November 10, 2008, 08:44 PM   #5
varoadking

Thanks for the help fellas...
Old November 10, 2008, 09:01 PM   #6
zippy13

IMHO, the center bead is important as a reference when mounting your gun. If you don't see the Figure-8 (or whatever bead alignment you use), something has changed and needs correcting. If your vent rib doesn't have a center bead, adding one isn't that complicated/costly.