The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 7, 2013, 07:50 PM   #1
Fingers McGee

Just got my 1860 44-40 Henry back

Just got my 44-40 Henry back from the engraver last Thursady. Bought it from Cabelas in 1997. It has the plum brown barrel. I used it as my CAS rifle for a couple years when I first got started; but retired it in 2003. It'll get brought out of the gun safe more often now. I'd been wanting to get it engraved for a few years; but Jim was always backed up. Still took over a year to get it done. Jim Downing, The GunEngraver did the work.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce

Last edited by Fingers McGee; January 8, 2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old January 7, 2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Roshi

Wow!

Thanks for sharing
Old January 7, 2013, 08:14 PM   #3
BirchOrr

SaaaWeeeeet!!!!!!!
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old January 7, 2013, 08:55 PM   #4
BerdanSS

Nice fingers! I'm going to get an 1860 this year...after long self argument, I'm defiantly going with the brass framed over the steel.
Old January 7, 2013, 09:08 PM   #5
bushmaster65

gun ****...
Old January 7, 2013, 10:54 PM   #6
deerslayer303

That is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
Old January 7, 2013, 11:24 PM   #7
TurkeyOak

+1
I am not normally a fan of engraved rifles but that is a beautiful rifle. That is an amazing job. I would change my tune if I owned that one.
Love the Henry. Only have a blue H001 but I love it. Their .357 is next on my list.
Old January 7, 2013, 11:46 PM   #8
Fingers McGee

Thanks everyone. Jim Downing does wonderful work. When I picked it up, he showed me a 38 S&W revolver that he had done 100% coverage on. It was magnificent.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old January 8, 2013, 09:32 AM   #9
Doc Hoy

Fingers.....

....In the immortal words of Peter Boyle.......

Holy Crap!
Old January 8, 2013, 12:01 PM   #10
indy1919

Fingers that is beautiful..

A true work of art.. And it help That you start out with one of the nicest looking rifles in the world .....

Now a couple minor personal questions here..

Will you shoot it after this????

And any way of giving a small hint to what the cost of such a job might be???

And any clue to what are the actual physical man hours that goes into a job like that????
Old January 8, 2013, 12:07 PM   #11
jlb43

Fingers That is my kinda rifle!

I inquired about having Downing do a Paterson about a year ago. When he said a twelve month wait I thought I could not wait. Now the year has passed and the gun is still not engraved. Duh!
Old January 8, 2013, 12:51 PM   #12
Fingers McGee

Indy,

I will be shooting it; but not a whole lot. As nice as they are, the Henry isn't very competitive.

Cost was under a grand - and that's all the hint I'm gonna give.

I had talked with him at a match in early Nov & he said it would still be a couple weeks before he'd get to it. He finished it just before Christmas. So.................. ???? I have no idea.

Jib,

I paid deposit and filled out the order sheet in Sept 2011, I gave him the rifle in Oct 2012. If you had scheduled it back then, you'd either have it now, or it would be soon.
Old January 8, 2013, 01:52 PM   #13
indy1919

Fingers, Many thanks to taking the time to answer..

Per the 2 amount questions, I would have guessed more on each.. WOW

MOOCHO THAAANKS for the photos and the info..
Old January 8, 2013, 04:14 PM   #14
Noz

What you cannot see from the picture is the color of the plum brown on the barrel of this gun. Deep purple and as smooth as silk. The engraving is beautiful but the finish on the iron is better than anything I have ever seen.
Old January 9, 2013, 11:32 AM   #15
Hardcase

My goodness, that is an absolute beauty!