The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 31, 2012, 06:19 PM   #1
Noreaster

22 mag, Savage vs Marlin

Looking at 22 mag bolt actions, nothing fancy just a decent varmint gun for me and the kid. How is the Savage 93 line with the accu trigger compared with the newer budget series from Marlin?
Old January 2, 2013, 09:11 AM   #2
L_Killkenny

Personally I think the current models from both camps feel cheap and I'd recommend a used Marlin from the '80's or '90's.
Old January 2, 2013, 12:27 PM   #3
Arizona Fusilier

Indeed, I have an old-school 883 with a 2-10 weaver I bought used a long time ago. The fit, feel, and finish are remarkable for a rimfire.
Old January 2, 2013, 04:54 PM   #4
Noreaster

I got a chance to pick up several variants of both yesterday at KTP. One of the Marlins had a real nice wood stock to it and felt great but it didn't have the accu type trigger. The SS Savage heavy barrel had a cheap feel to it but the blued version felt great. My son really liked the Marlins over the Savage. There is usually a sale before they do the ATF inventory but by the looks of it there won't be any sales this year. I may have to wait until the spring.
Old January 2, 2013, 08:46 PM   #5
mr.t7024

Need some help with rifle selection.

I only buy wood stocks. I have 2 Savages both with accu trigger and they do not look or feel cheap. These rifles are awesome and a delight to shoot. Cliff
Old January 2, 2013, 09:30 PM   #6
solocam72

I recently bought a model 93 savage stainless heavy barrel thumbhole stock .22 magnum and its a really accurate rifle, I played with 3 brand new ones and picked the one that had the best feeling trigger of the 3, 1 of the 3 had bad creep in the trigger so I kicked it out first and the other 2 were really close (nice when there are several to choose from) I adjusted mine down as far as it goes and I really like it! They are a great gun for the money. The highest quality .22 magnum I have ever owned that had the feel of a high quality big game bolt rifle was a ruger model 77 heavy barrel .22 magnum, but they are like 600.00, I am very happy with this savage model 93