The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 31, 2009, 07:00 AM   #26
Double Naught Spy

If not feral, then it is sort of like shooting a small cow, isn't it?
Old October 31, 2009, 09:19 AM   #27
shortwave

When it comes to hogs 'hogdogs' is right once again. Years ago, a distant relation(Calvin) had some market hogs on his farm in which he got to old to take care of the fencing. Long story short, Calvin, depending on some other rather useless, neighboring relation(relation Calvin help to feed) to mend his fences and feed hogs in the winter months was surprised to find out that all his hogs had been loose all winter. Years after we would go rabbit/pheasant hunt Calvins property and often dispatch one of these hogs. Over time these hogs re-grew tusk`s, offsprings head narrowed,snout and ears got smaller, and they where hairy`er. Two moral`s to this story: 1 is domestic hogs will reproduce tusk`s/adapt to the wild and the off-spring will look more feral than parents. 2nd moral is just because a useless person is a relative, doesn`t make him/her any less useless:barf:. The hog in this pic. hasn`t been feral long.
Old October 31, 2009, 07:29 PM   #28
Para Bellum

Close to us a farmer has domestic pigs with over 500kg, 1100#. That's more than a spanish fighting bull (these are actually small bulls).
Old November 3, 2009, 10:15 AM   #29
gyrocfi

Feral in Hawaii

I've only seen feral hogs in Hawaii. Mostly at Pohakuloa Training Area (PTA). They're small and fast and run through your camp on the way to God knows where. But I did see one (while flying tour helicopter) at the base of Pu'u O Umi caldera (blown out volcano vent). It made this hog look small. It had the coloring and size of a Jersey cow. It was eating vegetation at the edge of the pond created by the water from the falls of the pu'u. It looked domesticated also but from what other pilots told me they have lots of feral hogs wandering around in those valleys that are of that size. It's like a jungle of vegetation on the North Shore so plenty to eat without all the rooting around.
"Jesus said, 'But now whoever has a purse or a bag, must take it and whoever does not have a sword must sell his cloak and buy one.'" (Luke 22:36)
Guns I own: Colt Commander in 45; Stag H2 M4; Colt AR-15 HB; Remington 870 Tactical; Ruger Mk-2 Gov. Target; SKS.
Guns I want: Springfield XD-45 in OD; DSA SA58TAC; Accuracy International AW-308.