The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 12, 2007, 02:58 PM   #1
SpiritWalker

AOW or SBS question

I am thinking about doing some conversion work on my Rem870 and would like info on how to do it legally. I have an extra 20” barrel I can chop and I’m looking for a top folding stock. What I would like to wind up with is a 10” or so barrel with a top folding stock.

My primary question is; does the top folder make it an AOW rather than a SBS and can/how do I go about doing this legally?

Second Question; Used to be a bunch of ads around for top folders for the 870 but all I’ve seen lately say they are for LE only. Are top folders still available for civilian purchase?

Thanks!
Old January 12, 2007, 03:33 PM   #2
GalilARM

As far as the legality of the chop job, I actually asked a similar question not too long ago and havent gotten a clear answer. But to answer your other question, top folders are perfectly legal. I have one on one of my shotguns.
Old January 12, 2007, 04:17 PM   #3
Csspecs

It is going to be an SBS as it has a stock, I think that AOWs can not be made on long gun receivers or firearms that ever had a stock on them.
Old January 12, 2007, 04:45 PM   #4
shaggy

If it will have a stock it cannot be converted to an AOW; the stock and short barrel will make it a SBS. Additionally, if you wanted to make it an AOW (no stock) you'd have to start with a receiver that has never had a stock attached.
Old January 12, 2007, 10:18 PM   #5
SpiritWalker

Thanks everyone!
Old January 13, 2007, 01:09 AM   #6
Crosshair

Yup, an AOW can't EVER have or have had a stock attached where a SBS can basicly have anything done to it.
Old January 13, 2007, 04:27 AM   #7
raymond-

Quote:
It is going to be an SBS as it has a stock, I think that AOWs can not be made on long gun receivers or firearms that ever had a stock on them.
Quote:
If it will have a stock it cannot be converted to an AOW; the stock and short barrel will make it a SBS. Additionally, if you wanted to make it an AOW (no stock) you'd have to start with a receiver that has never had a stock attached.
Quote:
Yup, an AOW can't EVER have or have had a stock attached where a SBS can basicly have anything done to it.
that's not entirely correct, of course, as there are provisions in BATF reg which
allows for shoulder stocked AOWs. one easy recollection is a combination,
single shot, shotgun-over-rifle which can be shoulder stocked.

example of 14" AOW