The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 24, 2002, 11:34 PM   #1
youngun

slug gun for defense?

Is this incommodious?
(Apologies to all retarded people out there.)

Seems like a suitably loaded slug that could put a monster hole in a torso at short ranges (>100') without then putting holes through three walls and a couple cars might be a pretty good thing.

Are there tactical slugs for rifled barrels?
Say, 400 grains at 800 fps?

youngun

Last edited by youngun; August 25, 2002 at 03:06 PM.
Old August 25, 2002, 01:55 AM   #2
Bruce626

OK, ignoring the "retarded" part...

Why would you want to use slugs inside your house?

If you have vast distances between you and neighbors, and plan to shoot the bad guys at 50 yds, maybe.

If you are saying why not shotgun slugs vs some high powered .308 FMJ or whatever the rifle guys drool over, yeah maybe a slug is less penatrative (which is why some gummints limit deer hunting to slugs rather than hp rifles.)

Do a search here and you'll be amazed at the amount of info related to home defense ammo.

Home defense ranges for most of us tend to be rather short and thus some sort of birdshot or even buckshot makes way more sense than slugs.

When I need to shoot slugs at the range I use the Remington Reduced Recoil slug which works well for me in my SG at out to 115 yards or so.
Old August 25, 2002, 09:43 AM   #3
Mannlicher

youngun, that is a good question, but you should disabuse yourself of the thought that slugs will not penetrate walls. A 12 mag slug may well go clean through a house, wall by wall.

In my Remington WingMaster, I usually load buck, slug, buck, slug. With my Mossberg, I load with buck, and keep the slugs on the shell holders in the stock.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old August 25, 2002, 02:30 PM   #4
Zorro

Will go thru the house......and the pickup truck.....And still blow right on thru a Labrador Retriver.

Bad load for in house defense.
Old August 25, 2002, 03:00 PM   #5
youngun

Well, yeah, I hear it will go through any number of barriers.
I guess I'm aksing if it could be loaded down to a more apropriate level, so as to maybe only go through one bad guy and half a wall, say.

As to why, well, I'm just thinking about the hole size.
Old August 25, 2002, 05:32 PM   #6
CWL

#4, OO or even OOO buck will make a bigger mess than a single slug if all you want is a monster-sized hole.

Go read quadoughtbuck's testing of Estate SWAT OO buck if you want a 7"X7" spread @ 29yds. That ought to be a big enough area of damage for you.
Old August 25, 2002, 05:36 PM   #7
DML

Brenneke makes a reduced recoil slug that was intended for police use. The Brenneke rep. told me that the standard 1 oz. slug would go through one side of a car, both people in the front seat and out the other side. I had a case of this stuff and it was very pleasent to shoot. It still had way to much penetration for home defense use. I was testing various buck shot loads for penetration on a foot and a half bale of newspaper. Most 00 would penetrate 4 to 5 inches. I had one of these low recoil slugs with me and tried it on the bail. Dang! I spent the next hour picking up small shredds of paper. The slug went all the way through and blew the back out of the bail. The testing was at 50 feet.
Old August 25, 2002, 05:55 PM   #8
C.R.Sam

At close (in house) range, bout anything will makej one big hole. With shot or buck, the penetration capability drops off pretty fast. With slug....you do get a lot of penetration, even with reduced loads.

Would work fine as long as you know what is beyond your target. Just like any .73 caliber rifle.

Sam
Old August 25, 2002, 06:24 PM   #9
KSFreeman

Inside the house, the shotgun IS a rifle.

Are you inquiring of those compressed zinc loads for the Dreaded Demons Darkness for blowing door hinges???