The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 23, 2017, 01:40 PM   #1
Brutus

First time out with the new Dan Wesson

Just returned home from my first outing with the new Dan and it was somewhat disappointing.
Brought along 2 boxes of Federal 158gr. Personnel defense jacketed hollow points (cost me $25.00 + tax for 20 rounds dadnabbit ) which I wanted to try first in a brand new gun.
Loaded up 6 rounds and settled in for my first shot, pulled the trigger and the first shot was centered but about 2” low. Went to take my second shot but low and behold the cylinder was frozen shut.
Managed to get the cylinder freed up and extracted the rounds sure enough the fired shot had a cratered primer that had backed out of the pocket. Decided to give it a second go and put the remaining 5 rounds back in. 2nd round fired without incident but the 3rd again locked up the cylinder.
When I got the cylinder freed up again I noticed all three rounds had cratered primers which had backed out of the pocket with number two not backing out enough to lock up the gun.
Put the Federals away and switched to my hand loads because they were target loads I’ve been shooting out of my Python for years.
First up was an Extreme 158gr. Plated semi wad cutter on top of 4.7gr. Of Universal Clays which proved to be a tack driver just like it is in the Colt. Very pleasant to shoot as well.
Second up was a Lazercast 158gr. Lead semi wad cutter on top of 5.2gr. Of Universal Clays. Had a little more snap and wasn’t as accurate as the previous load.
All 100 of my hand loads worked flawlessly.
Question is are the Federals over loaded and what to do next. I’m thinking I’ll get a different brand of store bought’s and reload some mid-level hand loads for the next outing.
You’re thoughts and comments would be appreciated.