The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 16, 2013, 08:15 PM   #1
ninjaamt

Do You Like Your AMT .45?

Oh yea I can hear it now! LOL Yes there is a lot of debate regarding the functioning and reliability of this classic pistol, so I'm sure there are a lot of experienced opinions on this. I am "re-building" mine and it's doing fairly well. It is an older pre-safety one in overall good condition inside and out! It does have the usual occasional failures to fully return to battery, and I will be going to the range tomorrow to try out the Wolf xs recoil spring, and a custom Wilson mag that I made. Should be interesting and I will post results.
Of course I already did all the internal polishing and finishing. The racking is very smooth and other springs have been replaced too. It's a real pia to re-install the hammer spring unles someone out there knows a trick (lets hear it).
In any case, after a few months of amateur smithing, I do like it and feel that it will be as reliable soon as any semi-auto. It seems that they all "burp" once in a while wether its the ammo or a mag problem. I sense that the mags are a prime problem with the AMT. What do you think?
Old April 16, 2013, 08:17 PM   #2
ninjaamt

Also looking for any spare parts that you may want to send my way! Thanks!
Old April 17, 2013, 07:30 PM   #3
ninjaamt

I can't hear you?? Don"t be shy, no one will laugh if you stick up for your rare .45! LOL
Old April 17, 2013, 07:48 PM   #4
garrysks

About 25 years ago I had an AMT Government ( like the Hardballer, but with fixed sights).45 pistol. It was one of the most accurate handguns I've ever had. It ran like a top, never jammed. Ate lead 230 gr. like candy.