The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 26, 2018, 04:39 PM   #1
RAfiringline

A great deal on a Chinese Leupold ?

I was bored last night so I did a search on ebay for Leupold scopes - I don't need another one, but it's fun to look around for under-priced items.

I came across a Leupold VX-3 1.5-5 x20mm that really would be good on my AR, for $110. It's New, about $290 less than what others were going for, and of course no real downside because if it's fake, there's recourse to get the $110 back.

The price of a scope is no guarantee. If it's normal price, it could still be a fake. If it's low price, it might be from a distress sale of a business that went under, and the guy who's selling it just wants to turn stuff he got cheap.

When it arrives, I know to call Leupold to see if the serial number checks out.

But, what if the fakers over in China have caught on to how get the serial numbers to mesh with what they should be? Maybe by hacking Leupold's system?

Are there any other things to look at that would show it's a fake?

I had a Chinese Ncstar scope I bought for $30 a few years ago that I thought was a really good scope for about 6 months, until it for no reason wouldn't hold zero (cumulative effects of 223 recoil?), so a Chinese "Leupold" might be ok for a while, and then fail.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Last edited by RAfiringline; August 26, 2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old August 26, 2018, 06:16 PM   #2
ThomasT

Quote:
A great deal on a Chinese Leupold ?
You answered your own question. Chinese junk. Your money. Buy cheap. Buy twice.
Old August 26, 2018, 06:33 PM   #3
RAfiringline

>You answered your own question. Chinese junk. Your money. Buy cheap. Buy twice.<

No I didn't answer my own question.

My question was about detecting a fake Leupold.

It could have been priced $400 - would that make it a real Leupold?

I'm going to return it if it's fake and and get the 110 back.

If anybody has relevant info, it would be good to hear it, and it might help people who paid full price and got a fake that doesn't work - Leupold says that's been happening.
Old August 26, 2018, 06:51 PM   #4
ThomasT

I guess good luck with your purchase. I hope its a real leupold for an unbelievable price. There have already been threads about "Fake" Leupold scopes. Do a search.

All you have to do is send one back for service to find out you got jacked up.
Old August 26, 2018, 07:02 PM   #5
HiBC

Seems like classic fake news rumor mongering to me.
1) Browse for Leupold deals
2) a $110 1.5 tp 5
3) Speculate ,..."Wonder"with no support,it MIGHT be a Chinese fake
4) Start a thread to comment on fake Chinese Leupolds

The legend of fake Chinese Leupolds has been released.

This is all illusion till you actually have the scope and prove its a fake.

Oh,wait! Its been backed up and verified!!

"There are other threads about Chinese Leupolds"

You might try avoiding back alley "Too good to be true" deals.

I know a guy who got a heck of a deal on some high end stereo amp years ago.

Well,actually,he got a deal on the box....and the bricks inside.

Was it WC Fields? "Never give a sucker an even break"

You might try dealers who rely on their reputations. Or,take ownership that your are taking a risk and may suffer a loss.

Last edited by HiBC; August 26, 2018 at 07:14 PM.
Old August 26, 2018, 07:02 PM   #6
RAfiringline

I think the subject line of the thread would indicate to most people that I'm aware of the problem, wouldn't it? Don't bother answering, it was a rhetorical question.

Paying full price doesn't mean a piece of equipment is authentic.

Please, stay out of the thread.

I just want to hear from people with some relevant ideas or experience. Maybe this can become an informative thread for people to detect phonies, which is a real problem.

Adios
Old August 26, 2018, 07:16 PM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Guggle is your friend:

https://www.leupold.com/service-supp...erfeit-warning
Old August 27, 2018, 11:16 AM   #8
RC20

Years back I was talking to a guy from New York City. He was pretty upset about crime and all the things he lost.

Then he said, I got this great deal on a Nikon camera, I bought it from a guy who had it in his back trunk.

He did not seem to appreciate it when I told him where his previous Camera had gone and been sold by another guy out of the trunk of his car.

The morale of the story is you did answer all your questions so what was the purpose of the post?

And then don't appreciate our responses?

As my hero would say, "Come on man."
Old August 27, 2018, 01:57 PM   #9
std7mag

I thought there were some lower end Leupolds made in the Phillipines, but i had never heard from China.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old August 27, 2018, 06:07 PM   #10
RAfiringline

> The morale of the story is you did answer all your questions so what was the purpose of the post? <

I see what you mean. The whole thing was pointless.

Well, I'm off to the range - wish me luck.
Old August 28, 2018, 07:47 AM   #11
Picher

The only reason to put a "fake" Leopold on a rifle may be to get a better price when selling the rifle. Any company that fakes another is too sleazy for my money. Please don't encourge them.
Old August 28, 2018, 10:38 AM   #12
LineStretcher

Leopold has a big warning on their website regarding fakes. That said, you're not out anything if it is a fake due to Amazons return policy and if it turns out to be real but has problems, Leupold will fix it for life.
Old August 28, 2018, 11:09 AM   #13
Don Fischer

For crying out loud. For $110 I'd try it. Everything that come out of China is not junk! If it turn's out to be junk you can either put it on a 22 RF or send it back! Your not talking about taking a chance on a $400 scope!
Old August 28, 2018, 11:26 AM   #14
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAfiringline
Paying full price doesn't mean a piece of equipment is authentic.
On the nose. People who repeat "You get what you pay for" as if it were sage advice have never been victims of fraud.

Of course, even real Leupolds can be defective, though one's recourse is better.

I agree with Don. You are describing a low risk, small transaction that may give you a satisfactory scope.
Old August 28, 2018, 11:39 AM   #15
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Me, I'll take, "If it sounds too good to be true, it's not true." I've saved a bunch of money, that way.

What makes one think that he'll get a refund, if a fake Leupold fails? People who sell fakes don't do refunds.
Old August 28, 2018, 11:45 AM   #16
ocharry

yep for $110 bucks whats all the drivel about,,,,yes it could be a fake,,,BUT,,,some of todays cheaper china made glass can rival some of yesterdays high end stuff,,,

i would wait and see what you got when it gets here,,,,you may very well be surprised at what you got for the money,,,fake or not,,,,just remember the warranty may be useless,,,

my .02

ocharry
Old August 28, 2018, 12:09 PM   #17
LineStretcher

Drivel is an interesting term. I'm not trying to be a jerk but those of you who have ever spent the time and effort to send something back to Ebay after several trips to the range wasting ammunition trying to figure out if you mounted the scope right, or if your ammo is bad and finally giving into the fact that it might just be the scope. Of course theres the flip side where you immediately suspect the scope and send it back and then go buy a retail and far more expensive scope only to find that your bases were canted and the inexpensive scope was fine. Drivel.. not hardly.

Last edited by LineStretcher; August 28, 2018 at 04:27 PM.
Old August 28, 2018, 01:25 PM   #18
RC20

Quote:
yep for $110 bucks whats all the drivel about,,,,yes it could be a fake,,,BUT,,,some of todays cheaper china made glass can rival some of yesterdays high end stuff,,,
So, the theory is that knock off factories will do high end goods.

Seems beyond dubious.
Old August 28, 2018, 03:46 PM   #19
ThomasT

Quote:
That said, you're not out anything if it is a fake due to Amazons return policy and if it turns out to be real but has problems, Leupold will fix it for life.
In the OP the poster stated the scope was found on Ebay. So what does Amazon have to do with it? And I think Ebay and Paypal has a decent return policy and a full refund. So the OP may still be OK with a fake scope if it turns out to be defective.
Old August 28, 2018, 04:27 PM   #20
LineStretcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratshooter View Post
In the OP the poster stated the scope was found on Ebay. So what does Amazon have to do with it? And I think Ebay and Paypal has a decent return policy and a full refund. So the OP may still be OK with a fake scope if it turns out to be defective.
Sorry, typo.. Please everyone, to appease the keyboard gods, note that I have changed my original post to read Ebay vs. Amazon.
Old August 30, 2018, 04:50 AM   #21
J.G. Terry

I saw a Remington 700 in a pawn shop with a faux Leupold. All the marks on the scope were wrong. A friend was fairly warned but bought the rifle anyway. The scope screamed fake. This copy scope was the same as on the Leupold website.
Old August 31, 2018, 11:52 AM   #22
thallub

i''ve seen several fake Leupold rifle scopes. Some have the gold ring, some do not.

Fake Leupold scopes are advertised and sold here:

https://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/leupold.html

Last edited by thallub; September 1, 2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old September 1, 2018, 12:03 PM   #23
4V50 Gary
Staff

dhgate is shameful.
Old September 1, 2018, 05:39 PM   #24
308Loader

I bought a fake trijicon ACOG, knew it was fake when I bought it. works great for my purposes, have had it on my ar for 3 years now. also have other Chinese glass, works great!

if your going to buy a $100 scope expect it to be a $100 scope, be sure you can return it if it is not, and be prepared to maybe be happily surprised.
Old September 1, 2018, 05:46 PM   #25
308Loader

Looking at the DH gate site "Leupold MARK 4 6-24X50 M1 Tactical Rifle Scope Hunting Optics Scope Red and Green Dot Fiber Reticle Long Eye Relief Rifle Scopes"

has "Click Value: 1/4 ft @ 100 yards" so each click is 3" LOL! That's what I call precision! Might be great for your tactical sniper shotgun at 100 yrds.

Last edited by 308Loader; September 1, 2018 at 05:52 PM.