The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 10, 2011, 09:06 PM   #1
jhernar-15

carry holster for M&P 9c

any sugestions on a good carry holstes for the M&P 9c? i prefer iwb holsters but yet again ive never tried anything else so i dont know ... any help would be great!
Old January 11, 2011, 11:21 AM   #2
spclPatrolGroup

Two that will be recomended are the super tuck and MTAC, I have one of each.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/IW...me,ProductName

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info...i3th8el6tlb3m2
Old January 11, 2011, 09:50 PM   #3
jhernar-15

how do you like them??? my first reaction is to think they are really large holsters. yet again id never tried them...
Old January 13, 2011, 03:28 PM   #4
bondo007

I just got one of these for my Kimber Pro Raptor, only took 18 days and it's really a work of art . They have one listed for an M&P Compact but not sure if that's what you need

http://woolfegunleather.com/index.ph...&products_id=2
Old January 15, 2011, 12:57 AM   #5
gimike

holsters

add Kholster, Galco "KingTuck" and Tuckergunleather "The Answer" to the hybrid list. We also have some very nice full retention IWB's

Last edited by gimike; January 15, 2011 at 12:58 AM. Reason: correction
Old January 15, 2011, 01:29 AM   #6
kenno

When I weighed 128 pounds I could IWB a 1911A1 under a Polo and no one could see it!
Now I'm 210, theres no way I can IWB! Sure they make tents, but no Polo made will cover up THAT bulge!
BTB (horizontal) or Vert Shoulder Holster, W/ankle or crotch
Old January 15, 2011, 12:58 PM   #7
Yankee Bill

UBG Holsters and Lobo Gunleather are 2 makers that have quality IWB models at very reasonable prices. You'd have to check for offerings for the 9c though.

YB
Old January 16, 2011, 12:42 AM   #8
FLJim

jhernar-15,

The advantage to "really large" holsters, and, by "really large," I assume you mean "wide," is they spread the load out over more of the belt and, in the case of an IWB holster, get the belt loops out away from the bulk of the holster.

You'll find/receive lots of recommendations. Do your research. Read peoples' comments, what they like, and why. What's worked for them and what hasn't. Personally, I'm quite pleased with my Milt Sparks Versa Max 2. Others have made other choices.

There's something out there for everybody, believe me .

Jim
Old January 17, 2011, 10:47 PM   #9
jhernar-15

thanks guys! your help was appreciated. i realized im going to need some time to think about this and put a lot of research into it to find the right one! i thought this would be a lot easier.
Old January 18, 2011, 12:16 AM   #10
shooter_john

I dropped you a PM. If I (Trojan Tactical LLC) can help you at all, please let me know!
Old January 18, 2011, 09:19 AM   #11
ClydeFrog

carry styles, size, uses....

Hello;
For the S&W compact MP 9x19mm models, you have a few good choices or styles not just the IWB.
I'd look into the kydex Blade-tech models, the Fobus Roto holster, COM holsters, the "federal" models from DeSantis, the Galco COP & FLETCH, the Milt Sparks 55BN, the Kramer models, the Safariland SFS(concealment) & maybe the Blackhawk SERPA or regular kydex model.

Some forum members have done T&Es with the Blackhawk SERPA security holsters and have had problems with them but for deep concealment under normal carry it should do ok.
If you plan to tote the MP9 compact around in open carry or want a high security method, a safety strap or retention device should be used.

Speaking from detailed experience, a sidearm(pistol or revolver) can & WILL come loose or slide out of a open-top/non-security type rig.

A kydex or polymer design may also give you options for the cant/angle/etc.
If you prefer a high ride, mid or low style you may adjust it.
Clyde
Old January 22, 2011, 01:21 AM   #12
jcvibby

the galco leather holster are really comfy. Thats what I have for a coupel different carry guns
Old January 22, 2011, 12:17 PM   #13
gimike

Retention

The retention attributes and just plain old quality from holster maker "A" to holster maker "Z" have widened through the years. Statements that were absolute truth five or ten years ago, may not ring entirely true today. While I would agree that if you roll or crawl around on the ground a lot, you need a strap, hood, or some other added retention system to keep your firearm secure, but for normal activities, there are a few holsters available today that won't submit your gun to premature evacuation from its holster. IMO
Old January 24, 2011, 09:42 AM   #14
ClydeFrog

True story of the Highway Patrol or why retention rigs make sense...

The last member post is correct to a degree but I stand by my remarks and would suggest a well made holster with a level II or security system to even a casual user/CWL holder.
About 4 years ago while working in a armed security position, I had my stainless Ruger GPNY revolver tumble out of my Blade-tech kydex holster.
I was using a cross-draw method and the .38spl slide out as I leaned over to open a gas tank on my company vehicle.
The revolver had some minor damage(nicks/scuffs) & it was more of a mistake than a safety issue but it did show me how even a simple act like bending down or turning a certain way could leave your loaded weapon unsecure.
A thumb break or retention system can prevent mishaps.
Training & skill can be used to develop a fast, smooth draw.

In closing, I'd see merit in open top holsters for speed or for deep concealment but a well designed holster with safety features would be better.
Old January 24, 2011, 09:55 AM   #15
FLJim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClydeFrog
About 4 years ago while working in a armed security position, I had my stainless Ruger GPNY revolver tumble out of my Blade-tech kydex holster.
I was using a cross-draw method and the .38spl slide out as I leaned over to open a gas tank on my company vehicle.
One incident does not qualify as inevitability for all. Sounds to me, in your case, like an improperly tensioned Kydex rig.

The G34 in my Blade-Tech DOH competition rig isn't going anywhere unless I want it to. I'm also pretty darn confident my Sig P239 SAS isn't leaving its VM 2 unless I want it to. Yeah, I'm sure there are extreme circumstances under which either sidearm could be persuaded to leave its holster unintentionally, but it would take a darn sight more that what happened to you. I'm confident I'll be able to equally trust the Milt Sparks I-BAK OWB holster I have on-order, as well.

My gun store holsters, for a couple other handguns, well... those I'm not so confident of. They are thumb-break models, for that reason.

Jim