The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 9, 2008, 03:31 PM   #1
the_right_reverend

attention KMart shoppers

after yesterdays trip to the local reloading dealer, ........ this can of HP38 has been stored in a ammo can since before "Desert Storm"

$24.00 in Jacksonville NC
Old March 9, 2008, 05:57 PM   #2
Sevens

O have three one pound cans of Win 473AA (discontinued) from '89 in my stock, and I'm dead positive that there's at least a dozen regular contributors to this forum with much older stuff than that.

It will last until you need it if you store it properly!
Old March 9, 2008, 06:14 PM   #3
the_right_reverend

that can of HP38 given to me in the early 80's by a friend and some one gave it to him...... I use it to load 45ACP snake shot probably another 1000 loads in it...
Old March 9, 2008, 06:30 PM   #4
Darren007

One of the local gun dealers near me has Nosler, and Hornady bullets for sale in their original unopened boxes, from the 1960s. Hes had them since they were new, and theyre sittin there on the shelf for sale right next to the brand new boxes.
Old March 9, 2008, 06:41 PM   #5
W. C. Quantrill

right reverend,

Tell us how you do those .45ACP snake shot loads, would you?
Old March 9, 2008, 08:15 PM   #6
the_right_reverend

i searched a round the net a bit and found nothing on how to make .45 snake shot and only found some reference to some of the old articles i read in old mags....almost 25 years ago when we carried the .45 in the USMC.... will work up a detail of how i do it.......

Old March 9, 2008, 09:50 PM   #7
lgsracer

Reed's Ammunition & Research

http://shop.reedsammo.com/product.sc...&productId=215

Back in production by popular demand! The Viper line of ammunition. This ammunition is .45 ACP loaded with 150g of 7 1/2 size nickel plated shot (apx. 110ct). This shot has a very thin coating of nickel for lubrication during loading and for it's travel down the bore. This ammunition will not hurt your rifling in any way. The brass has an integral shoulder for proper head-spacing in semi-automatic pistols. Most pistols will cycle correctly with the original recoil spring. If you have increased your spring weight, it may not cycle; however a quick hand cycle of the slide will chamber a fresh round. They are crimped in a star pattern with a round profile for positive feeding from the magazine. This ammunition is designed for small pest control and especially snakes (hence the Viper name). This is a must for those who hike, camp, or fish in areas that snakes may be present. Center the bore-line with the head of the snake, pull the trigger, and your snake problem is solved. Packaged 25 rounds per box
Old March 9, 2008, 10:13 PM   #8
crowbeaner

Hell, I'm loading .243 ammo with IMR 4895 that has a price of $3.75 per pound on it. Still smells and shoots like gangbusters.
Old March 9, 2008, 10:26 PM   #9
SLOMountaineer

I stocked up on everything in the mid 90's. About $11/lb for powder, $9/1000 primers, tons of bullets at prices never to be seen again...boy! Am I glad I did. Still have about 12k primers and 12 lbs/powder from that stock up.
Old March 10, 2008, 09:43 AM   #10
CPTMurdoc30

In the late 80 early 90's I was relaoding with powder form WWII. We had 9 kegs of Black Powder that was from before that. It was in kegs that were wax coated cardboard and it fired off in the cannon just fine. I believe the kegs were 5 or 10#. They sat right next to the 120,000 rounds of RA69 308 brass and 200,000 of old milsurp 30-06 brass. In old od green wooden square military boxes.