The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 30, 2005, 10:06 AM   #1
Cloudpeak

Lead vs. copper clad bullets

I've been reloading West Coast copper clad and "Accu Cast" Oregon Bullet lead bullets in my 40 cal XD. The copper clad was something new to me as there was no such thing years ago when I reloaded for my 44. Just lead or jacketed.

The prices are pretty close on these bullets. Is there any advantage to using clad over lead or lead over clad? I've had no leading problems with the Accu Cast. Both of the loads for lead or plated bullets are not full power loads. I do get some copper "wash" in my barrell but don't know if that's a problem.

Last edited by Cloudpeak; March 30, 2005 at 09:08 PM.
Old March 30, 2005, 11:07 AM   #2
MADISON

Lead vs. copper clad bullets

I use to shoot lead in my Glock 21....
If I shot more than 100 rounds of lead, spending an hour was the norm.
A friend put me on to COPPER PLATED bullets. I have been using them for 6+ years. You do not have the leading that regular lead bullets give you. The cost is a bit more than lead but WELL WORTH THE DIFFERENCE!
Old March 30, 2005, 02:06 PM   #3
Guy B. Meredith

Some people swear by lead bullets, particularly hard cast, some swear at them. Me? I'm lazy. I reload exclusively with copper plated West Coast (now Accura) Bullets'. Going to try to do the 25K bulk purchase for a $.05 per .38 bullet price.

PC = Agenda driven groupthink filter on reality.

Apostrophes denote ownership or missing letters NOT plurals!
Old March 30, 2005, 03:07 PM   #4
Dgremlin

Has anyone tried Berrys Prefered Plated Bullets? I've also been using West Coast Bullets but I can pick up 1000 Berrys .44s for around $80.00. I was wondering how good they are.
Old March 30, 2005, 04:28 PM   #5
BigSlick

I have used a lot of the Berry's Preferred Plated in 45 ACP - no problems of any kind.

If you're worried about leading, I just started using Montana Gold (jacketed)and love them. For less than 1.00 per hundred difference in small quantities, the jacketed seemed to be worth a try.

Accuracy is pretty good but I haven't completely dialed the load in yet.

HTH

BigSlick