The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 3, 1999, 03:16 PM   #1
CrociJA

Looking to purchase a BAR (authentic or remanufactured). Where do I begin?
Old December 3, 1999, 11:13 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

First, check your state laws and see if you can own a full auto weapon. If not, you will be limited to the semi-autos that are being made today. If the law is OK, see if there is a class 3 dealer in your area. He may have one in stock.

Check Shotgun News and Gun List and call the Class 3 dealers who advertise. Also check dealers at gun shows.

You will need approval from the Chief Law Enforcement Officer in your area (city, county or state). The class 3 dealer should be able to tell you if you have a prayer there.

If it seems like you would be OK with the law, find the gun. There are a goodly number around and some of the other folks here will probably give you some web sites.

You need a transfer form (ATF Form 4) which you fill out, get CLEO approval, and send to BATF with fingerprint cards and $200 (this is a one-time transfer tax, not a yearly fee). Forms and cards can be gotten from BATF. Takes around 30-60 days for approval.

Jim
Old December 4, 1999, 06:32 PM   #3
CrociJA

Check, check and check All the neccesary authorities and paperwork are ready to go. I've found a dealer, now all I need him to do is find me a BAR. I figured since I had nothing but good luck from this forum in finding some proper leather and advice about an LF-1 class that maybe someone knew of a link or legal contact that had access to an original (read mint) BAR.

Thanks for your help, keep it coming!
Old December 4, 1999, 07:48 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Original and mint?? Wow! Most folks feel lucky just to have a functioning one. Once upon a time there were a fair number of Swedish BAR dewats around and I am sure some were registered in 1968 as live guns. They are in 6.5 x 55, and most were in very nice condition, as were some of the Belgian guns. There are also some Colt Monitors around in beautiful shape, but they are very expensive even as MGs go. Most BARs on the market are ex-GI and in only soso shape.

Jim
Old December 5, 1999, 02:43 AM   #5
phw

Check out http://subguns.biggerhammer.net/nfaad.cgi This is Tom Bower's Board for Class 3 weapons. Also Tom has a "good guy" list of Class 3 dealers.

[This message has been edited by phw (edited December 05, 1999).]
Old December 5, 1999, 04:01 PM   #6
Correia

www.impactguns.com

1-888-sva-guns

I was there yesterday and they had a BAR up on the wall that looked to be in excellent shape. However I didn't look at it too closely. I'm not sure of the price but it should be on their webpage.
Old December 6, 1999, 01:03 PM   #7
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

oh i wish i wish...

But the few full auto BAR's i've seen were in the 18-22 THOUSAND dollar range, (one colt army model, one winchester NAVY model and one colt "civilain" model with a metal telescoping stock and no bipod or flashider.

That seems REALLY high compared to the price of other MG's, are BAR's getting really pricey or was i seeing a dealer who overprices his stuff???

Dr.Rob