The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 1, 2000, 04:00 PM   #1
Ledbetter

My dad is getting a little old to go out shotgunning (85 this year) and has given me his thirty-year-old Mossberg 500 Defender, with 18" barrel. It's only been shot three times, but I don't think he has cleaned it since the seventies. Really.

I own several handguns, but I'm new to shotgunning. I'd like to use the gun for home defense and maybe shooting some clays every once in a while.

Can anyone give me some suggestions, do's and don't's for this gun? (Besides thoroughly cleaning it, that is.)What loads to use and what accessories I might need? I already emailed Mossberg for an owner's manual, which they sent.

Thanks in advance.
Old June 2, 2000, 05:31 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

After that 500 is cleaned and lubed, try a little informal clay shooting. Use nice, cheap, 2 3/4" field loads for starters. After burning up a couple hundred,with recleaning and lubing mandatory, that action should start feeling nice and smooth.And, you should have a feel for the weapon, also.

Shoot at a patterning board to see where POI is and if the stock needs to be altered for best shooting.

Those field loads will work for HD, up to 10 yards or so the load hits as a solid mass. But, you may want to try out some buckshot. Buy a couple of brands and shoot some patterns to see what works best and prints tightest.

Damn few accessories are essential. Cleaning supplies, ammo and training are the exceptions. Leave the bells,whistles, fender skirts and fuzzy dice alone, you already have one of the best HD tools ever conceived by the mind of Man....
Old June 2, 2000, 01:36 PM   #3
Ledbetter

At my local gun club, they have a defensive shotgun practice once a month. I'll be in it. Thanks for the reply, Dave.
Old June 2, 2000, 02:46 PM   #4
Gunslinger

You got a good shotgun there. Now pass it on to your son in 50 or sixty years.

------------------
Gunslinger TFL Imperial Potentate

TFL End of Summer Meet, August 12th & 13th, 2000
Old June 2, 2000, 03:54 PM   #5
Eric of IN

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gunslinger:
You got a good shotgun there. Now pass it on to your son in 50 or sixty years.

[/quote]
But clean it first, I went thru the same thing except my Dad died and I inherited 5 guns that hadn't been cleaned since disco was still alive. I spent a month solid cleaning them up.
Eric

------------------
Formerly Puddle Pirate.
Teach a kid to shoot.
It annoys the antis.
"But Officer I HAVE to have all these guns in the truck, I'm going to TFL End of Summer Meet"
Old June 5, 2000, 01:10 PM   #6
Ledbetter

Thanks for the replies, and to jthuang and Coinneach for their emails. To report:

1. Twenty thiry-year-old plastic Federal shells stored under the bed fired reliably. No hangfires, misfires, or no-fires.

2. Man, was the action dusty and dirty and the bolt follower (?) was corroded. Worked on rust and corrosion with bronze brush and Break-free. Put a little grease on the rails.

3. Barrel cleaned up pretty good. Lots of small dots inside, could be pitted.

4. Shot about 40 game loads and five rifled slugs last weekend. WooHoo!

5. Dissassembly was NOT as depicted in the manual. The forearm doesn't want to slide off the receiver, hanging up on some kind of springy thing just before the point where the rails would leave the receiver. Never did get it off, had to clean around it. The model number is "500 AB" and the barrel is stamped 18 1/2" Cylider Bore "Police Gun".

Any thoughts on dissassembly issue? After firing, the forearm will "spring" back if a slight backward pressure is exerted. Very fast shooter.

Thanks again.

Ledbetter