The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 10, 2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Ben Towe

The guns of Hell on Wheels...

I've been watching this on AMC lately and was wondering if someone could tell me what the revolver is that Bohanan (main character) carries?
Old October 10, 2012, 01:34 PM   #2
Hardcase

In the first season, it is supposed to be a Gunnison and Griswold, but it's really just a brass-framed Colt. There's an excellent article in the current issue of Guns of the Old West that talks about the trials and tribulations of accurately representing firearms in the show. They knew that the gun was wrong, but it was the best that they could do given the time and availability constraints that they faced.

This season, he's got a Remington 1858.
Old October 10, 2012, 02:50 PM   #3
g.willikers

At least it's not a 1873 Peacemaker.
Here's hoping there's a season 3.
How else will we ever know what happened to the evil Norwegian, after he leaped from the bridge.
Old October 10, 2012, 06:20 PM   #4
Delmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcase
This season, he's got a Remington 1858.
I love the episode where the bank was being robbed. Bohanan and the leader of the gang were facing off and both had to swap cylinders. Bohanan came out on top because he had the Remmie! That scene might actually be the whole reason they switched him to an 1858 this year!
Old October 10, 2012, 06:41 PM   #5
Delmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcase
In the first season, it is supposed to be a Gunnison and Griswold, but it's really just a brass-framed Colt.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't think Colt really built brass frame revolvers. It was my understanding that the brass frame revolvers built on the 1851 Colt design were Confederate "knockoffs" like the Gunnison and Griswold. If that is the case "brass-framed Colt" they used, is close enough in my opinion.
Old October 10, 2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Jim Watson

Unfortunately the "brass framed Colt" prop gun is on the 1860 design.
The CSA did not build 1860-61 pattern revolvers, they were mostly 1851s and some few Dragoons and copies of other makes.
Old October 10, 2012, 06:57 PM   #7
Delmar

Can't believe I didn't notice that! I guess I'll have to go on Netflix and check that out!
Old October 10, 2012, 07:09 PM   #8
Ben Towe

Quote:
At least it's not a 1873 Peacemaker. Here's hoping there's a season 3. How else will we ever know what happened to the evil Norwegian, after he leaped from the bridge.
Agree on both points. I'm glad they have at least made an attempt to outfit them with period style weapons. I am not glad they killed off Lily, however! I hope he gets to crucify that Norwegian next season.
Old October 10, 2012, 07:17 PM   #9
L2R

who said Lilly is dead? There are records of people waking up after being presumed dead. (why we have wakes). I never heard her neck snap either. I think she lives on. But who knows but I think that she was as big a draw as the star and it was written to bring the audience back for round 3 to see if she lives on or is replaced. I think she has to come back to finish the fire storm she started by mailing the ledger.
Old October 10, 2012, 07:21 PM   #10
Delmar

I will cry FOUL if Lily returns, but then I will get over it. She is fun to look at!
Old October 10, 2012, 11:32 PM   #11
Bill Carson

bohannon ex reb

in season one, bohannon is an ex reb trying to escape his past while revenging his wife's murder. he is carrying a griswold&guninson - that part would be totally believable for a former confederate. unfortunately they used a brass frame 1860 army ,why, there are plenty repro g&g's or at least a brass frame 51 navy - those are quite plentyful to. a knowledgeable prop master should have caught this detail. its still a neat series, anyway.
Sidenote: originally, at least 3606 g&g's were made. all were brass frame. all are navy cal. (36). all have round barrels with one variation, some do not have the flats. but, have rounded edges where the flats would have been. all cylinders are of iron and bear the distintive twist line. thats all for now.
Old October 11, 2012, 12:58 AM   #12
Jim Watson

Anecdote:

At one time they were commonly known as the Griswold and Grier.
Grier was the company lawyer and Mr Griswold's son in law. Mr Gunnison was the actual partner in the gun manufactory.

I know a family named Grier... from southeast Alabama and previously from Georgia. I have been trying to get them to dig into geneology and see if they are related.
Old October 11, 2012, 02:31 AM   #13
Ben Towe

Quote:
She is fun to look at!
And that accent! <3

As far as the guns, I need to learn more about these old C&B revolvers, my knowledge is pretty much limited to the Colt horse pistols like the Walker and Dragoon (I have one of each).
Old October 11, 2012, 07:48 AM   #14
madcratebuilder

In one early show this season Bohanan's revolver was referred to as a "Griswold". He has carried Colts, Griswolds and Remingtons. I'm liking the small pocket Derringers I see. They have put worth some effort to get it right.
Old October 11, 2012, 08:49 AM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

Let's maintain focus on the firearms, not the general plot or the actors. Those subjects are off topic and can contribute to thread closure...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 12, 2012, 10:53 AM   #16
Hardcase

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't think Colt really built brass frame revolvers. It was my understanding that the brass frame revolvers built on the 1851 Colt design were Confederate "knockoffs" like the Gunnison and Griswold. If that is the case "brass-framed Colt" they used, is close enough in my opinion.
Yes, the idea, as far as the propmasters were concerned, was to approximate the Griswold's appearance. They wanted a Griswold replica, but they couldn't find one at the time and figured that if it had a brass frame and looked Colt-like, it would be close enough. I give them a lot of credit for putting forth the effort, even if the end product wasn't accurate.

Heck, the fact that the producers were not only aware that the G&G revolvers existed, but also made it a part of the storyline was a plus for me.

And, by the way, it really is worthwhile to track down the Fall 2012 issue of Guns of the Old West and read about the work that the crew on the show did to be as accurate as possible.