The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 21, 2020, 07:00 PM   #1
Shadow9mm

savage customer service rant

I have a mk II in 22lr. I rarely shoot it because it is inconsistent. I suspect it is somewhere between the scope and the stock. I contacted savage to ask about buying a wood stock since the polymer one is garbage, I said it with nicer words in the e-mail. It took about 2 weeks to get a response back, a little long in my book. Their answer.... go talk to boyds, they have lots of stocks. He did mention they manufacture the wood stocks for savage which was marginally helpful. I had already looked at boyd, they don't have any good stock options for the MK II, they have a "any barrel" and a bull barrel option, the cheapest of which starts out in the $150 range. I contacted boyd to see if they would sell me a factory stock, which i doubt they will do and if its $150 i wont waste my time. Also Savage didn't bother to mention a part number, just told me to go talk to boyd. Inconsistent gun, garbage stock (ok i should have known better), and worthless/slow customer service. I'm pretty sure I will be getting rid of the MK II and never touching a savage ever again. I sen't a choicely worded response, now to see if it takes another 2 weeks to get an answer.
Old June 22, 2020, 12:42 PM   #2
Shadow9mm

Update: So, after my second letter with a less than trilled tone they told me they had a stock and to call to order and it was 1/2 of the boyd stock cost. Why couldn't they have just done that in the first place!
Old June 23, 2020, 03:36 AM   #3
Geezerbiker

I'm surprised you're having trouble with it. Mine is very accurate and I haven't had a problem with the plastic stock.

Could your scope mounts be loose?

Tony
Old June 23, 2020, 10:25 AM   #4
Pahoo

Doing you best, in your own best ways

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I will be getting rid of the MK II and never touching a savage ever again. I sen't a choicely worded response, now to see if it takes another 2 weeks to get an answer.
I consider your situation to be rare and somewhat confusing. If you should have known better, you would have done better. I went through the identical upgrade and all went well and I have a great tack driver. Not doing any more business with Savage will deprive you and doing better next time. …..

My experience with Savage customer Service has "always" been excellent. I would list my contact's name but only with their permission. …..

Be Safe !!!
Old June 23, 2020, 10:44 AM   #5
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo View Post
I consider your situation to be rare and somewhat confusing. If you should have known better, you would have done better. I went through the identical upgrade and all went well and I have a great tack driver. Not doing any more business with Savage will deprive you and doing better next time. …..

My experience with Savage customer Service has "always" been excellent. I would list my contact's name but only with their permission. …..

Be Safe !!!
I used to love Savage. I own a pile of them, but IMO, their quality is now suffering. Barrels are not what they used to be. I have taken 2 barrels off recently becsuse they Cu foul so bad. Savage is turning out some awfully rough bores. I have better things to do than constantly clean and fight Cu. I used to despise Ruger, but right now Ruger is my favorite non custom. Ruger is turning out top tier barrels.
Old June 24, 2020, 12:33 AM   #6
bamaranger

MkII

My experience w/ Savage customer service goes back to the original 10C Scout, and I got treated right and dealt first person w/ a phone call, speaking with a squared away and knowledgeable guy, somewhere I may even still have his name. The rifle came back quickly, no fees, and all was resolved.

My MkII heavy barrel is wonderfully accurate, even with bulk .22lr ammo. The Accu-Trigger suits me fine but.........the magazines are CRAP. I wish somebody would market or produce a high quality, plastic mag for the MkII's that worked.