The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 4, 2016, 11:20 PM   #1
turtlehead

550B primer seating question

Had been having primers not seating deep enough but that has since been resolved by uniforming my primer pockets.

So here is my question for those familar with the 550B. Does it seat the primer to a set depth or does it seat until it is physically stopped?

I'm only doing small rifle and pistol at this time. Using the K&M bit for uniforming. Lyman prep center coming tomorrow. It looks like it'll be handy for future calibers outside the .223 I'm doing now.

Thanks!
Old December 4, 2016, 11:30 PM   #2
mulespurs

Dillon 550 primer seating

My first guess is that your shell plate may not be snugged up enough.
I tighten the center bolt, remembering to loosen the set screw on the side first, just snug up gently until it will not turn with finger pressure,then back off center bolt 1/8 turn or more as necessary to give positive rotation with positive index clicks.
If that doesn't work call Dillon,I've never heard that they wouldn't help.
Old December 4, 2016, 11:37 PM   #3
turtlehead

I think the shell plate is fine but I think I read a blurb one time about technique / consistency with the stroke.
Old December 5, 2016, 07:58 AM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Only the 1050 uses a fixed depth mechanism that I recall. The others just require a good shove to seat some primers. Running cases through a swaging tool or a profile reamer also helps with stubborn primers.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 5, 2016, 11:20 AM   #5
Gary Wells

Seats until it is physically stopped.
Some combinations of case brands & primer brands are more difficult than others to fully seat. Cleaning primer pockets might help but shouldn't be necessary.
I reload .45 auto R-P nickel plated cases with WLPP & they are sort of difficult to fully seat unless I use 2 hands, 1 for bracing & 1 for the press handle.
Old December 5, 2016, 10:35 PM   #6
turtlehead

Thanks Gary & Nick for the clarification. Just seated 75 primers and all went well. Shame that primer pocket uniforming is sometimes neccessary. There is no shortage of steps for prepping rifle brass.

BTW, the Lyman prep center is a handy tool to have on the bench. Had to recut a few crimps while priming. It sure is quiet and seems to be well built. Am pleasantly surprised.