The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 30, 2016, 07:22 PM   #1
PolarFBear

Lubing bullets

I realize this is better placed on the Cast Bullet board but I wanted broader coverage. I have cast a lot of bullets and always used the Lee "tumble" method to lubricate. But, I have a "hankering" for a real luber. Trouble is I can't find a lot of information on lubrisizer use. Do you need to purchase a whole slew of additional equipment to make them work? If so, would I be better off just sticking with a Lee sizer? I reload everything from .32 acp to 50 AE. Never really ran into any problems using my "tumble" method.
Old November 30, 2016, 07:54 PM   #2
dahermit

The two most popular bullet size/lube machines are from Lyman and RCBS. They both take the same dies. One must have a seperate die for each diameter bullet one is going to size and lube. Each size/lube die will cost about $19.00 or so retail, plus shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lyman-Cast-B...AAAOSwjVVVv6oG

Beside each size/lube die, you will need a top punch that will cost about $14.00 plus shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lyman-Top-Pu...kAAOxy4t1Sn3L-

Then of course you will need bullet lubricant.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-sticks-250...cAAOSwWKtUvy9-

You can buy used somewhat cheaper on Ebay. For instance:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lyman-450-Ca...AAAOSwcLxYMRD1

Or, you may just want to investigate "powder coating", for cast lead bullets. But that is a whole 'nuther matter and system.

Last edited by dahermit; November 30, 2016 at 08:00 PM.
Old November 30, 2016, 08:01 PM   #3
PolarFBear

To Dahermit

Thanks. Just as I thought, a BIG expense. Tumble lube for me! Fifteen years and no troubles; why create one. Powder coating seems like the "future" of lubing and "grease" is the past.

Last edited by PolarFBear; November 30, 2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old November 30, 2016, 09:56 PM   #4
dahermit

I have pretty much switched to powder coating even though it is much slower than using a lube/sizer with grease type lube inasmuch as I still use the lube/sizer to size them. The extra time comes in with picking the bullets out of the powder and standing them upright on a sheet pan (covered with baking parchment). However, there is a system that has been developed by a guy on that involves just dumping them on a silicone baking sheet and then water dropping them while they are still hot. Being retired, I have the time to fool with powder coating (and casting), and I can keep up with bullet making despite the fact that I shoot nearly everyday on my range in my own yard...I use up a whole lot of bullets.
Old November 30, 2016, 10:11 PM   #5
DavidAGO

I am like you, I just tumble lubed bullets. And like you have thought about getting a "real" sizer/lube, or going to powder coating. But i went shooting over the weekend, took .38 special and .45, in three pistols, two revolvers and one 1911. I realized that with the exception of when my son borrowed my 1911 and shot some factory ammunition that none of those pistols, and very few of my other pistols, have had anything other than lead shot through them. and I just do not get leading that has been an issue at all.

So I will stick with tumble lubing.

David
Old November 30, 2016, 10:17 PM   #6
AzShooter

If you want the best sizer/luber get a STAR. You have to buy dies for each size you want. There's someone on the Cast Bullet forum that is under "Star Dies that I make" where you can save a little money.
Old December 1, 2016, 11:16 AM   #7
Chainsaw.

How bout pan lubing? I have not done it but its seems like it may produce better results (full lube groove) then tumbling but much less investment vs a lubrisizer. Possibly less time involved?
Old December 1, 2016, 11:50 AM   #8
salvadore

I been casting a long time and have two luber Sizers, have pan lubed and even used Lee's tumble lubing. That said, if I was getting good results with tumble lubing and was happy with the process I wouldn't worry about it.
Old December 1, 2016, 04:08 PM   #9
mikld

I've been casting bullets for about 19 years and still don't have a lubersizer (and all the dies and nose punches). I dip lube, tumble lube, pan lube and powder coat. The great majority of my bullets are pan lubed, more often that not lubed with my homemade lubes. I set my bullets in a pan, add enough lube chunks to cover the lube groove, cook in my toaster oven @ 175 degrees for 15 minutes or so (so the bullets and lube reach the same temp.), cool and use a homemade "cookie cutter". I then size with my Lee push through dies and have bullets that are as good as any...
Old December 1, 2016, 04:22 PM   #10
m&p45acp10+1

I prefer to tumble lube. I have a two part problem that prevents me from going the rout of a lube and sizing press.

1. I am cheap if I can get away with it.
2. I am lazy. Less work means more time to shoot them.

Oh and did I mention I am cheap if I can get away with it.

Tumble lubing has worked just fine for me so I am not going to screw up what has been working.
Old December 1, 2016, 04:25 PM   #11
Malamute

Ive pan lubed and used Lyman lubrisizer, the lubrisizer is much simpler and faster than pan lubing, cutting lubed bullets out, and running them through a hand sizer or press sizer.

Set bullet on ram, lower handle and touch sizer ratchet, raise handle, all done sizing and lubing. Vastly. Simpler. More cost? Yes. It pays off in time and effort saved though. You also don't have lube on the nose of the bullets (for the most part), so its cleaner.

If the tumble lube is working to your satisfaction, Id say drive on. Many feel that type lube isn't as good for higher velocity loads, but if its working for what you do, it doesn't matter.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old December 1, 2016, 06:22 PM   #12
PolarFBear

Low velocity loads

I, too, am cheap. Though when I took an inventory of my reloading equipment I was SURPRISED at what I had. A couple of Dillon 550's , every Lee from the "L'll" one up through the Loadmaster. Lots of pistol caliber dies, lead, moulds. Quite an investment. It looks like the "lubrisizer" is just the start for greasing. Then about another $40 for each "gizmo" to make it work. My reloads, except for the 50AE and other fully jacket magnum rounds are "puff" rounds. The tumble method works. Never a problem with leading. But I don't get full combustion and accuracy beyond 20 yards begins to fall off. Still, enough for the indoor ranges I frequent. I plan to move to a full sized outdoor range after the end of the year. My needs may escalate.
Old December 3, 2016, 12:58 PM   #13
pete2

I don't cast bullets any more. I did use a Lyman lubrisizer . If I was just starting I would try the Lee tumble method first, if it works for you it's the easiest and cheapest thing going. Even Lee's molds are cheaper. I still have all my gear, JUST in case.
Old December 4, 2016, 06:44 AM   #14
Mike / Tx

I certainly understand the "cheap" part. That said after doing the tumbling, lubesizing, and powder coating, I have a small investment in equipment.

I did however find deals on most all of it so it's not like I went full price. I probably got both sizers and dies for the regular price of one. I have both the Lyman and a Seaco which I had to order new parts for. That said though one phone call and they were sent right out.

As for the top punches, I use a flat one due to the profile of my bullets. They are easy to make on my drill press, out of round aluminum stock and a file. For the RN you simply need a recessed hole in the end and use some epoxy to for fit to your bullets.

All that said I still TL about half and powder coat about a third of everything. Even my full tilt 454 loads use a blend of Alox. If your having good luck go for what works and be happy.
Old December 4, 2016, 10:39 AM   #15
res45

I believe in equal opportunity when it comes to lubing bullets as I have done it ever way possible. My least favorite way to lube bullets is pan lubing,not that is a bad way to lube it was just more time consuming an my least favorite way to lube.

I pretty much took up tumble lubing as well as ranch dipping Alox or Xlox / JPW lube for a number of years an still do it in some instances. Never had any issues with lube induced leading in handguns or rifles an once I figured out that warm bullets and warm lube give a much nicer/even coat and a little goes a long way an they dry faster with no tack all was well. I'll always keep it in the toolbox.

I also PC pistol and rifle bullets,it's a fairly easy process using the tumble lube method. Since I do mine in my shop I have to pick the days I PC bullets as I find that if the humidity is high they don't coat well. On days when the air is dry and the static electricity is up is when I usually PC bullet and I'll do a bunch to last awhile. I purchased my four 1/4 lb. color sample packs of powder from smoke over at Cast Boolits and my mom gave me her old convection toaster over when she got a new one,The powder goes a long way and I haven't even made a good dent in any color as of yet.

I use these multi colored plastic beads I got at a local discount store in a screw on lid contain along with a couple spoon fulls of powder,add bullets and throw it in my vibratory tumbler while the first batch is baking. I can get about 100 bullets on the second foil covered toaster tray while the others are curing. I use my Lee push through sizer to apply gas checks to the Alox or PC coated bullets.

Last fall I made up my mind that I wanted a lube sizer. I found a RCBS Lube A Matic on Ebay that came with ten sizing dies/top punches of which all but two I can use as I don't shoot or cast anything in 44 caliber,since I cast for my brother he went in half with me on the startup cost. I gave about $100 for the whole deal and all it needed was a good cleaning up and some new O rings replaced which RCBS was more than happy to send me for free. It don't have a heater but I use the Lars 2500+ Lube at a $1.95 a stick which doesn't need a heater and it does a great job applying gas check and lubing bullets. Accuracy wise I've found that in my HV rifle cast loads the naked lead lubed bullets just shoot more accurately. I just like having options.
Old December 5, 2016, 08:22 PM   #16
TheGuyOfSouthamerica

Animal marker Crayon sticks made in Germany by Hauptner&Herberholz

It may be as with landline phones and cellphones. In third world countries landlines are skipped at all and they have gone directly to cellphones only. Landlines are to costly (lots of infrastructure).

Same with lubrisizers vs tumble lube/wax stick lube.
Just skip lubrisizers if you haven't got one.

I use Animal marker Crayon sticks made in Germany by Hauptner&Herberholz for lubing the lead cast bullets. They have an assortement of wax Content and I do not get leading. It's Kind of an big lipstick which you apply manually.

This method I use since here in Southamerica I anyways do not get any other lubricant except automotive grease which works well but is to messy.
I do not get leading more than normal.
Old December 5, 2016, 09:03 PM   #17
shootniron

I tumble lubed for years...went to the dark side...powder coated a batch of bullets 3yrs ago...I have never grease lubed another bullet, powder coat only.