The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 7, 2012, 08:28 PM   #1
jasmith85

A few Beretta 92 questions

I am looking at buying an older Beretta 92 from my LGS and had a few questions about it I'm hoping someone here can answer because I have no experience with 92's. The shop owner claims it was traded in by the original owner who was issued it while he was in the army in the early 90's. It looks old enough for the time frame to be true. The finish is barely 60% if that but mechanically the gun is sound and the bore looks very good. He is asking $300 for it. My first concern with this gun is can that story be true? I was not aware that the military allowed soldiers to take their gun they are issued home with them. I'm also wondering about the price. With as old and well used as it is I don't know if I should try to negotiate it down a bit. Anyone have any opinions on this?
Old November 7, 2012, 08:32 PM   #2
Captain H

Not true.
Old November 7, 2012, 08:34 PM   #3
Yung.gunr

I don't see how that could possibly be true. And, if it is not true what else is he not being the most honest about?
Old November 7, 2012, 08:37 PM   #4
jasmith85

Quote:
I don't see how that could possibly be true. And, if it is not true what else is he not being the most honest about?
That is actually what I am worried about. If the story is bogus it makes me worry that he might know about some big issue with the gun and is just looking for a way to get rid of it.
Old November 7, 2012, 09:13 PM   #5
Captain H

These stories pop up innocently.

Man comes into gunstore "I was issued this in the service" meaning he was issued an M9 just like this. Never been in the military gunshop guy hears this and takes it out of context meaning, That was the actual pistol the guy was issued.

He probably isn't trying to fool you, just ill informed and passing bad info on.
Old November 7, 2012, 09:49 PM   #6
TMD

Not true and shop elsewhere.
Old November 7, 2012, 10:44 PM   #7
Sharpsdressed Man

If you determine the gun to be worth the asking price without the story, then the story is free. What differencedoes it make? It is just another gun.
Old November 7, 2012, 11:14 PM   #8
Mrgunsngear

Quote:
If you determine the gun to be worth the asking price without the story, then the story is free. What differencedoes it make? It is just another gun.
Indeed.
Old November 8, 2012, 12:39 AM   #9
10-96

If I wanted a beater pistol, I would pay the $300 for it. There is a 3rd generation locking block kit that I would certainly get and a spring kit. The pistol may not have been fired near as much as it was carried or beaten up, but why take a chance? With the clip springs, I would NOT go with Beretta, but rather Wolff instead. The last batch of Beretta clip springs we ordered prior to retiring our 92D's were grossly under powered. All the others seem to be fine.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 8, 2012, 12:42 AM   #10
ZippZ

These is a program where certain Soldiers can purchase an M9, I think mainly high ranking officers. Don't know much about the program, but could be this.
Old November 8, 2012, 09:38 AM   #11
Stressfire

At $300 and if I had the cash to spare, I'd get it. I'd try to get down to $250 though.

Unless it "fell off a truck" I'd say the story would be bogus.

If you can get the SN, the production date should be easy enough to decipher: http://www.berettasupport.com/servic...k_question.htm Click Date of Manufacture link.

If Army issued, it was likely US production - for that, you can try this: http://www.berettasupport.com/applic...search_new.htm
Old November 8, 2012, 10:15 AM   #12
pgdion

Here's my take on the 92's. Unless you're a collector, you really want to get an F or an FS. There were a number of very desirable improvements with the F series. My guess is what you are looking at is probably an S and I would guess it's a police trade in (just guessing there). The S's are ok and have a couple of nice qualities but IMO it's worth moving up to the F.

How can you easily tell? Look at the trigger guard, if it's rounded, it's an S or older, if it's sort of squared off and serrated for gripping, then it's an F or FS. Should say on the slide as well.

Changes for the F include the magazine release (and therefore the magazines), hard chromed barrel, added a firing pin block for safety, changed the trigger guard and grip for improved aiming, and the new tougher bruniton finish.

That is a pretty good price though. Maybe not a bad deal at that price.

btw - I may be mistaken but if it's military it will be stamped M9 right? So if it says 92 (92S, 92F, ect) ... it's not a military unit. If it says M9 from that era then I think it is (of course M9 now doesn't guarantee anything since Beretta introduced the M9 'military' version, even though the 92FS is the exact same gun just with Beretta's standard part number on it instead of the US military designation).

Last edited by pgdion; November 8, 2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old November 8, 2012, 10:24 AM   #13
Woody55

The story isn't true, but look at the serial number and other markings. Military small arms are going to marked in an obvious manner.

Someone said:

Quote:
These is a program where certain Soldiers can purchase an M9, I think mainly high ranking officers. Don't know much about the program, but could be this.
General officers can buy their side arms (which are not M9s) when they leave the service. They become heirlooms.
Old November 8, 2012, 10:26 AM   #14
Woody55

Oh. The price.

I'd try and get it down on principle. However, if it is in good shape, I'd give $300 for a 92F.
Old November 8, 2012, 10:38 AM   #15
jasmith85

Thanks for the replies everyone. I called the shop and cleared up a few things. He said that the guy that traded it in told him it was issued to him but that he wasn't sure about the truth of the story. He also said that his gunsmith has gone over it and that if I got home with it and it had something wrong with it he missed he would refund my money. He said the specific model was a 92F type S and that it was manufactured in Italy. It also has a lanyard loop which I don't recall seeing on a 92 before but of course I haven't handled very many. He also gave me the serial number but it did not bring anything up on the serial number search on Beretta's website.