The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 23, 2011, 07:12 AM   #1
UtopiaTexasG19

Identify Lead Ingots By Shape And Weight?

I just bought a number of lead ingots and wondered if anyone have ever seen this shape and weight in lead? I am curious as to what industry if any where they were used. 2" x 10" all weigh right at 5 pounds. Thanks...
Old August 23, 2011, 07:24 AM   #2
Shootest

Never seen anything like it. I have seen a lot of other shaped ingots, mostly from home smelters. This could be one of those, thus almost any alloy could have been used.
Old August 23, 2011, 07:45 AM   #3
Rifleman1776

Impossible to learn anything about that lead from just looking at it.
I used to buy lead from a smelter directly. It came in 5 lb. ingots that were octagonal shaped. Very difficult to cut up for remelting in small pots.
Old August 23, 2011, 07:48 AM   #4
kadima

Looks like one of my ingots, however I don't think that they ever made "your" side of the pond.

In my case the ingot mould is a waterpipe sawn in half. Works well!

K.
Old August 23, 2011, 07:56 AM   #5
UtopiaTexasG19

I realize the shape and weight will not tell me anything about the consistancy of the lead. I was just wondering if anyone had seen this size and shape before in any particular industry. For example, I have in the past bought in sailing boat lead ballast from different sources and all were the same shape and weight (26 pounds) so I thought these ingots may be familiar to someone. I have enough to last me a lifetime so I suppose if I test a dozen or so at random for hardness they should all be similiar in composition.
Old August 23, 2011, 08:05 AM   #6
Uncle Buck

My grandfather used to have ingots that were long and thin. I know he cast some himself. He had a plumbers pot (From back when lead pipes were common in every household.) and the thinner size were easier to melt in his pot.

I do remember him making ingots, but I do not know if he made all of his.