The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 21, 2011, 08:16 AM   #1
leadchucker

May be getting into reloading

After a couple of months of thought, and some reading, I have decided to try a little reloading. I'm getting ready to start accumulating what I'll need. Here's my plan:

I'm thinking I'll start with 380 acp. I shoot a lot of that, and I have already accumulated over a thousand rounds of once fired brass.

I already have a couple of books, but I figure on getting the Lyman and Hornady manuals too.

I'll probably want a Lee turret press, a set of dies. I'll probably stick with Lee for a powder scale and dispenser, but that can change, I guess. I'll be looking to classifieds, and maybe even ebay for this stuff. I have already kluged together a brass tumbler from shop and yard junk.

I'm probably going to buy something like magtech FMJ bullets by the thousand. I figure on using Bullseye powder, and maybe CCI primers. That's not definite. It depends on deals I find. I'm not going to skimp on this stuff. If shipping is a problem, I may try to find it at a gun show.

I have a pretty good shop area in my basement/garage. Plenty of bench space. I'm going to fabricate a detachable bench mount for the press.

Everything I've read goes into detail about safe storage for the powder and primers. The basement environment seems ideal as far as temperature and humidity. I've built wooden cabinets, and plan on keeping the powder in one corner of the basement, and the primers in the opposite corner.

Now for the questions:
Is it safe to store the powder and primers in my basement?
Any better suggestions... on anything I'm planning?
Anything major I've missed.
Old March 21, 2011, 08:23 AM   #2
jmortimer

Your plan sounds good. The Lee Precision Classic Turret is a fantastic deal. I know storage is supposed to be cool and dry and I believe the powder and primers are stable enough for storage in a basement. I have always kept mine in the barn inside a cargo continer which is dry and mostly cold/cool to warm and then dry and hot in the summer. I also keep them seperated but since they are shipped in same box probably not big deal. I don't smoke but any source of flame should be a serious consideration like a heater or water heater. You will be pleased to be a reloader. For most it is satisfying to reload and shoot more for less.
Old March 21, 2011, 08:37 AM   #3
Utahar15

stick with Lee for powder scale and dispenser

I find the dispenser or power thrower is very good. Not made as well as the others and I've thought up upgrading. It's cheap enough not a big deal if you replace it later.

I have always had a hard time getting the scale set. Might just be me, but I fought it and replace it soon after I got it..

Good luck.

Robb
Old March 21, 2011, 11:48 AM   #4
Smokey Joe

Getting into reloading...

Lead Chucker--You said
Quote:
I already have a couple of books, but I figure on getting the Lyman and Hornady manuals too.
If you don't already have it, The ABC's of Reloading, put out by Krause Publishing, www.krause.com is "the standard textbook on the subject," and I highly recommend it for anyone considering starting reloading.

The ABC's covers ALL the basics, and goes 'way beyond. It is not a reloading manual, it is a how-to, and more importantly why-and-why-not-to sort of book. Should be on every reloader's bookshelf, well thumbed, IMHO.

--Smokey Joe
Old March 21, 2011, 11:59 AM   #5
mikld

I keep my primers in a "Tupperware" type tub with a couple packs of dissicant in with them. Prolly overkill but I receintly moved to "Rain Country", S. Oregon, and just wanna make sure they stay dry. My powder is kept in the original containers with the lids on snug and I'm sure that is good enough (I have some 20+ year old 2400 that's still good). Both are stored in a Craftsman cabinet in my shed (unheated) and I'm confident there will be no problems.

I started out with Lee equipment and still have most of it around. The Perfect Powder Measure works as well as any I've tried and works great with W231 (I can hold less than 1/10th gr with mine). Like most measurers, the accuracy (repeatability) depends on the powder used; ball powders stay really consistant where some extruded powders are all over the place.

The Lee scale is simplicity itself. The only differance is the Lee uses a vernier type poise, rather than a slider on a notched beam. Some guys can't get used to it. Plus you can lock a setting in place (my Lyman/Ohause scale has a very easily moved poise. I bumped it returning the pan to the holder and my measured loads were nearly one grain off from that point. I had to dump and remeasure 25 rounds.).

Your powder and primer choice sound good and your storage is OK. I store my powder at the opposite end of my reloading room. This is so only one container of powder is on my bench at one time. When I change powder, I take one container back to the cabinet and one back to the bench. Haven't mixed any powders yet (26+ years reloading).

Just go slow, triple check often, and enjoy...
Old March 21, 2011, 12:01 PM   #6
Doodlebugger45

That sounds like a real good well thought out plan. The Classic Turret (don't get the Deluxe Turret) is fantastic for loading up 2-300 pistol rounds in a couple hours. And the Lee Pro Auto Disk powder measure works just fine once you pick the right disk. I'm sure the Bullseye will work fine. If it were me though, I might think about something that takes a bit more powder like 231, but I don't know much about .380 loading. You're probably better off to stick to buying powder and primers locally. A pound of powder will load around 2000 of those cases. You can buy 1000 primers for $35 locally I imagine. At some point, if you really like it, you can think about buying those online where you might order 10,000 primers and 8 lbs of powder. Then it makes sense to order online and pay the Haz Mat fee.
Old March 21, 2011, 02:55 PM   #7
c.j.sikes

buy your reloading equpt. once. i been down that road i do believe i have own all kind and makes of equpt. spent a lot of money and time on wrong reloaders. i now own mostley dillon, i am not blowing their horn, just telling like it is. their are a lot of good presses on the market but use your head and spend the money once. cjs
Old March 21, 2011, 03:35 PM   #8
hk33ka1

Powder and primers are fine in your house, just like ammo is. Keep them dry and cool and they'll last until you shoot them off.

Make sure the powder you start with has data for it in your manual with a bullet you want to use, lest you end up going out to buy more.
Old March 21, 2011, 04:42 PM   #9
oneounceload

Keep primers and powder under heat and air and they'll be fine. Personally, I like the balance scales made by Ohaus - they are the company that makes RCBS, Hornady, and all of the better brand names - the scales are excellent and reliable.

Once you have decided on your load, buy in bulk to cut costs - that means powder in 8# jugs, primers by the 5000 sleeve, etc....

Good luck, stay safe, have fun
Old March 21, 2011, 07:01 PM   #10
pstrlipscomb

Another Satisfied Lee Customer

I learned to reload from the Lee manual which almost reads like a Reloading for Dummies. Lee's equipment is simple and as dependable as you are.

I started with the Anniversary Kit 15 years ago which gets you all the basics, then I added a Pro 1000 progressive reloader. The single stage press is great for slowing you down while you learn the process, and the progressive is a necessity if you shoot more than 50 rounds a month. I still use both almost every week and have not replaced anything, but you must read the instructions. For instance, some people complain that the Pro 1000 gets out of time after awhile, but they did not read the section in the book that tells you that this is adjustable. I like things that I can fix or adjust myself without having to always replace them.

Some of Lee's equipment multiplies its value by being able to do the job other companies require two tools for. Lee's press kits are so affordable that you can buy a complete press set up for a single caliber for less the some die sets, and certainly less than any other quality press.

The biggest favor you can do for yourself is to learn from a live person for awhile if possible.

I love having something gun-related to do when I cannot shoot, and I hope you have many happy years of filling your pipe!
Old March 21, 2011, 07:47 PM   #11
leadchucker

Okay, I found a good deal on a new Lee classic turret press and the die set. That's already on the way.

Looks like Midwayusa has about the best price on the scale and dispenser.

I'll be ordering the Lee safety magnetic beam powder scale.

I'm looking at the Lee Auto-Disk Powder Measure. It looks like that, and maybe and the little extension would work best with the powder through die. I'm wondering if the Perfect Powder Measure could be made to work too. Comments?

Nobody locally has any reloading supplies except Walmart. Go figure. They have a decent selection of primers and bullets, but they don't have the Bullseye powder. I got a list of what they did have and I'm going to figure what would be best. Shipping that stuff in small quantities is just not economical.

Now, I'm finding all the little incidentals. I'll want a bullet puller. I'm going to try seating some bullets in empty cases just to make sure they turn out right.

Do I need a primer feeder?

It's fun spending money.
Old March 21, 2011, 08:48 PM   #12
Smokey Joe

Primer feeder...

Pb Chucker--You asked,
Quote:
Do I need a primer feeder?
For priming cases, I'd suggest the easiest, most practical way for a single-stage or a turret loader, is using one of the hand primer devices. RCBS makes a nice one out of steel, and Lee makes one almost as good, out of pot metal, which of course isn't as sturdy--and doesn't cost nearly as much, either. But they both do the job.

I've used the Lee Auto-prime for years. Now I run 2, one set up for large and one for small primers. (They all come with separate parts for both. It's just less fooling around not to have to switch.) The Lee primer uses different shell holders from the shell holders a press uses, but many of the shell holders fit a number of different cases. When I buy dies for a new cartridge, I also buy the apropriate Auto-Prime shellholder, unless one I already have, fits the new cartridge. (For example, .45ACP, .30-'06, and 8x57mm cases all use the same shellholder!) When necessary, the shellholders are easy to change out. If, that is, IF, I were unhappy with the Lee Auto-Prime, I'd try the RCBS version.

Lee stands by their Auto-Prime as well as they do everything else--when one of mine breaks, I call Lee, their response is always, "It isn't supposed to do that," and they have me send them the broken part, which they replace promptly by U. S. mail.

I've been very happy with the Lee equipment I've bought and used over the years. Their Collet Neck-Sizing Die is a GREAT piece of equipment. (But I also have dies from Pacific, RCBS, Dillon, and Redding, all of which work for their intended purposes!)

My feeling generally about something like reloading equipment is to buy the best I can afford. Buy once, cry once. It's gonna be around longer than I am anyhow.

And I forgot to say, in my earlieer post, what I always say to beginning reloaders: Welcome to The Magnificent Obsession--Reloading!! There, I've said it!

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; March 21, 2011 at 08:55 PM. Reason: The usual--had another thought.
Old March 21, 2011, 09:03 PM   #13
chris in va

You can go one level simpler and make your own dippers. Weigh the charge for that particular powder, cut down a fired 9mm case and attach a wire handle to it.

I've loaded thousands using this method (in various calibers), works great. Just remember if you change powders to re-weigh the charge and make a new dipper.
Old March 21, 2011, 09:43 PM   #14
Doodlebugger45

I use the Lee Safety Prime system on my Classic Turret. It works very well. Before I bought the turret, I used a single stage press. To prime for it, I used an RCBS hand primer. That system works just fine also and I still use that method sometimes for rifle cases. But pairing up the Safety Prime with the Turret is a natural. You raise up the case into the sizing die, then the safety prime seats a primer on the downstroke. Presto! 1 sized and primed case with one stroke. The next stroke flares the case on the upstroke and the Pro Auto disk fills it with powder automatically.

You have to make sure you get the Safety Prime system set up just right when you install it on the turret press, but it's pretty simple to use then.