The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 31, 2009, 05:03 PM   #1
toolslinger

Can't Afford It

but I thought y'all might like to know. There is an ASM 3rd model Dragoon with the BARREL MOUNTED LEAF SIGHT on Gunbroker
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=150934583
Old December 31, 2009, 06:55 PM   #2
Fingers McGee

There were two of them listed. One went for $270. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=151031733
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old December 31, 2009, 07:14 PM   #3
toolslinger

The one I listed don't end for a couple o days.
Just to clarify, I was just trying to give a heads up. It ain't mine.
Old January 1, 2010, 07:11 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

That first Dragoon has a frame cut for a shoulder stock but not the grip. The second has no cuts at all. I was under the impression the the folding leaf sights on the Dragoons was on the shoulder stocked models only.

I finally found a source for those folding leaf sights. As soon as I order two pair I well post the source, they are limited to stock on hand.
Old January 1, 2010, 12:20 PM   #5
Fingers McGee

Neither of them have steel/blued backstraps; or the 4th screw either.

Apparently, ASM was working under the philosophy of use up what you have regardless of the configuration.

The one still open has a manufacturer's date code of AL - 1983. The Military Model I have was made in 1977.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old January 1, 2010, 12:46 PM   #6
Raider2000

I'd love to have it but, Moma would kill me.
Old January 1, 2010, 12:57 PM   #7
toolslinger

Wish I could

but I have a major move coming up in a month or so and I don't even have a rifle yet. Wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't moving right into the middle of herds of deer ,flocks o turkey,and messes of wild pig.
Old January 3, 2010, 02:10 PM   #8
bprevolver

Dragoons

I guess I have to plead quilty to acquiring both of these revolvers. I am feeling very good this last year in finally, after some 17yrs of tooting the horn, that the replica percussion revolvers were indeed very collectable. Finding interested persons noticing the small detail variations between different issues is a strong indication of this interest.

The two Dragoons in question are examples of variations that are indeed very rare. These are the only specimens of this type that I have ever seen in nearly 18yrs of research.

Both are Armi San Marco manufacture. ASM has produced several unusual variations in their Dragoons. So far I have uncovered eleven variations of the 3rd Model Dragoon and three variations of the 2nd Model Dragoon.

I am currently looking for a 3rd Model Dragoon with a fixed rear sight. The ones I have seen are cut for the shoulder stock, with steel back strap and brass trigger guard. I have pictures but a specimen would be nice to have.
Old January 3, 2010, 07:53 PM   #9
Fingers McGee

Congrats on the new acquisitions Jim. I was tempted to bid; but, I've already bought too many guns in the last couple months. The interesting ones just keep showing up though.

BTW, when's the book coming out????

I want the first signed copy.

Ken
Old January 6, 2010, 01:44 PM   #10
toolslinger

Excellent

I am glad this post did some good. I figured y'all might want those.
Old January 7, 2010, 08:59 AM   #11
madcratebuilder

Quote:
BTW, when's the book coming out????

I want the first signed copy.

I'm inline right behind Ken.
Old January 7, 2010, 10:56 AM   #12
Malamute

I'd like to have one of those sights, when the classified rating of the source is relaxed.

Been looking for 20-some years. Had one once, and gave it to a guy building a custom Ruger SA.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old January 7, 2010, 09:02 PM   #13
toolslinger

ME TOO

want the book and the sights
Old January 16, 2010, 03:32 PM   #14
JohnsonBarr

San Marco 3rd Model Dragoons

Howdy Gents, I'm new to this site and came upon it doing SM 3rd Model search. I bought my pair in the mid-70's, steel back straps, all the stock cuts and 3-leaf sights. They are within a hand full of digits from being consecutively numbered. I also have a shoulder stock that fits one better than the other but, then there's no need to whine about that. I bring them out a couple of times a year to shoot a SASS or NCOWS match and enjoy the glaring drooles of others. Nothing quite like a two-handed pistol with 45grs. of Black behind a round ball! So, here's my search problem; one of my Twin Sisters has a cracked Cylinder Bolt/Stop. All currently produced replicas have much smaller Bolts that can not be transplanted. Nothing at Numrich and Bill at VTI can't help either. Anybody out there have a dead parts gun for sale?
-J.Barr; one gun short of a brace!
Old January 16, 2010, 06:46 PM   #15
Fingers McGee

Deer Creek Products, the black powder sutler, does not have a web site. Their address is PO Box 246, Waldron, IN 46182. The phone number is 765-525-6181. Their location is 6989 East Michigan Road.
Old January 16, 2010, 09:51 PM   #16
mykeal

Or, you can do as many of us have done over the years: get a good set of files, some strong coffee, some good background music and get to work.
Old January 17, 2010, 04:43 AM   #17
Smokin_Gun

Bprevolver congrads on the pair of ASM Dragoon ... them rear sights are something I still want one day... good job & good prices.
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php