The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 20, 2009, 10:38 AM   #1
SMITH910

Can you use small pistol magnum for 9mm?

I am told that you can use small pistol magnums for 9mm. Is this so? I'm told it might add up to 10fps to the velocity. Any drawbacks? I just can't find any regular primers and someone is offering to sell the magnums...

Thanks.
Old May 20, 2009, 11:28 AM   #2
GeauxTide

Drawback would be pressure if you're loading maximum. 9mm max pressure is 35k together with small case and charges could cause problems.
Old May 20, 2009, 12:25 PM   #3
Alleykat

I use nothing but small rifle primers for 9mm reloading. Chances are, those magnum small pistol primers aren't any hotter/harder than small rifle primers.
Old May 20, 2009, 12:40 PM   #4
That'll Do

The short answer is yes, you can use magnum primers for 9mm. I know I do. I just make sure that I stay beneath the max load. And I rarely reach max loads, because once I find a load that gives a good group, I stop going up charge-wise.
Old May 20, 2009, 12:52 PM   #5
Shoney

I agree with That'll Do
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old May 20, 2009, 05:44 PM   #6
Ozzieman

No
I would suggest you use what is recommended for that load. I have done some experimentation in the past and had results that indicated that its not a good idea to swap primers.
The main problem is that with the magnum primer with the higher pressure can push the bullet out of the case before you get a good burn and proper pressure in the case. Its like your COL is too long.
The magnum primer rounds actually felt and sounded weaker and were a LOT dirtier.
See the following thread.
Keep it safe by doing what is recommended by the experts.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349807
Old May 21, 2009, 06:30 AM   #7
glokmunkee

Quote:
The main problem is that with the magnum primer with the higher pressure can push the bullet out of the case before you get a good burn and proper pressure in the case. Its like your COL is too long.
The magnum primer rounds actually felt and sounded weaker and were a LOT dirtier.
Never really the answer but wouldn't a tighter crimp help slow that some? I havent done it, but I dont think I wouldn't use them. I would want to know much much more than I do now before I went about it. I realize you dont have that luxury. I do agree with Ozzieman, that is what is going to happen unless you adjust for it somehow. Maybe the powder that'll do uses? What powder are you planning to use?
Rifle Primers really? I know some people dyin to load up the .223 that would cringe if they heard that.... I've never heard that one. What powder do you use? heck do they make small rifle magnum primers? We could all save on powder. ... not use any and still go 1100 fps!! HA joke.

Last edited by glokmunkee; May 21, 2009 at 06:36 AM.
Old May 21, 2009, 11:20 AM   #8
SMITH910

I use W231 and I only load to about half the recommended powder weights. Thanks for the feedbacks.
Old May 21, 2009, 07:45 PM   #9
Ozzieman

The rounds that I loaded were with the same bullet, same powder, same cases and I used a very tight taper crimp, it simply did not work very well.
The difference was very noticeable.
If you feel using the wrong primer is ok and it works for you, that’s great.

"I use W231 and I only load to about half the recommended powder weights."
Did you really mean to say this or was it a play on words. Loading to 1/2 normal charge weights is dangerous.
Old May 21, 2009, 09:07 PM   #10
Smogdude

Have had success using them in .40s&w with starting charges. Haven't loaded 9mm yet, have everything I need except bullets... but I don't have a gun in 9mm so there's no rush.
Old May 22, 2009, 03:47 AM   #11
glokmunkee

Ozzieman could you elaborate? Are the dangers the lodged bullet that will happen eventually? I know people who have done this to the effect they could bounce 9mm's off of a phone book from across the room. ( they were kinda nuts, we were bored, and there may or may not have been alcohol involved, woeful indescretions!) Not sure that i want to know but what should have happened to us?
It didnt look like to me he was doing it to experiment, it was all he could get. Some poor souls are digging for components out there. If this keeps up I may be one of those poor souls and then there are gonna be many posts about making primers! ( the 'frost' book!)

Last edited by glokmunkee; May 22, 2009 at 03:55 AM.
Old May 22, 2009, 04:00 AM   #12
Dingoboyx

Yes

But like GT said, as always when changing 'recipe' reduce your charge and work back up watching for signs of over pressure, don't use max powder charge then add mag primers... might over do the pressure.

You have to use what you can get, these days, but safety is always #1 priority
Old May 22, 2009, 07:52 AM   #13
SMITH910

Ozzieman, I meant I load inbetween(half way) the low and high recommendations charges for the load I am shooting. I'm not near the top end.
Old May 22, 2009, 11:24 AM   #14
Alleykat

I'm using AA#5; 125gr. (currently) Precision Coated Bullets and CCI/Wolf small rifle primers for 9mm. Have only shot a few thousand like that, so don't know if that's a good enough statistical sample or not.
Old May 24, 2009, 09:19 PM   #15
Nev C

Yes you can

I've been using magnum primers in my 9mm hand loads for a while now and they work fine. I get about 20 fps more than standard primers with the same loads.

Cheers from Australia.
Old May 25, 2009, 02:38 AM   #16
glokmunkee

I dont play but my lotto winnings would go to an x-ray machine so I could see all this stuff going on in there. ( if I didn't go broke buying more gun crap!! ) I wonder if any of those airport security guys or doctors out there have x-rayed thier guns?
I would pay to see a high speed clip of an x-rayed gunshot. ( of my gun!)