The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 9, 2007, 08:51 PM   #1
GalilARM

True Story/Scenario: Home Inv. Stabbing...

A deacon at our church in Dallas was stabbed multiple times a week or so ago in his home. The details are as follows:

He is alone at home while his wife is away at work. He is expecting his friend to stop by the house sometime in the next 15-20 minutes. So he hops in the shower after leaving a note on the door saying its unlocked and to come on in. Now I know this is never a good idea, but I cant really fault the guy for assuming he'd be safe within that 20 minute window. Anyway, a robber enters the house (most likely expecting/hoping the note-writer to be a woman). The victim stepped out of the shower to see the BG going through his wallet in the bedroom. The BG demanded more money and when the victim couldnt produce any, he stabbed him twice in the abdomen. The victim turned and ran back toward the shower, grabbing a wrench to use as a weapon. It had been in there from earlier repair work he was doing. The BG stabbed him again in the back, but not after recieving a few blows from the wrench. The BG then fled the scene and left the victim bleeding on the floor naked. Fortunately the friend was already on his way so he found him and took him to the hospital. The victim is OK but this was obviously a serious and near fatal attack.

What would you guys have done in this situation? I know its hard to imagine since we're not in his shoes as its happening, but what do yall think would be the best way to survive/end the conflict with minimal injury to yourself? Obviously this guy didnt have a gun in his bathroom or anywhere nearby, but I'm willing to bet some of you guys do So, lets hear some opinions...
Old January 9, 2007, 08:59 PM   #2
G-Cym

This being 2007, didn't the friend coming over have a cell phone? I would have called and just told him to take his time getting there.

Or you could leave a note on the door telling the friend to wait outside.
Old January 9, 2007, 09:08 PM   #3
cpaspr

As G-Cym said,

this being 2007 - don't leave doors unlocked while you take a shower! And don't advertise that the door is unlocked. It's a mighty big presumption that a friend is the only one who might walk up the the door to read a note that can be seen from the street.
Old January 9, 2007, 09:31 PM   #4
p-t-max

My practice is to take my carry weapon with me into the bathroom and have it on the toilet lid under my towel while I'm in the shower. In this day and age, you have to be "on duty" even when you're not. If he'd had a gun with him in the bathroom, this story would have had a very different ending, and a very bad outcome for the bad guy.

I'm no expert, I'm just, well, opinionated!
Old January 10, 2007, 01:24 AM   #5
banditt007

dont leave the doors unlocked. if you didnt, and the BG still wanted to break in. you could have had a chance to hear him break in, giving you more time to better arm yourself. Or he would have just not broken in. In this situation i feel like it was a crime of opportunity and if there was no note the BG wouldnt have even entered the house. of course who knows he could have planned on breaking in anyway. but i hold steadfast on not leaving doors unlocked no matter what. could have totally changed the outcome. The situation couldnt have ended WORSE if the door was locked, only better.
Old January 10, 2007, 06:38 AM   #6
saypek

Quote:
I cant really fault the guy for assuming he'd be safe within that 20 minute window.
That is just plain wrong and I know he learned his lesson. Glad he's ok now.
If you're just a regular guy with no self defense training and you got confronted by a BG armed with a knife and all you have is a towel strapped around your waist there's nothing much you can do. Either give him what he wants or pray he doesn't hurt you. So i suggest you keep a gun and LEARN how to use it.
Old January 10, 2007, 06:51 AM   #7
NCHornet

I am sorry taking a gun with you in the bathroom while you take a shower is paranoid, either that or you must live in a really, really bad neighborhood. Of course the easiest answer is don't leave your door unlocked, but a BG has many ways to get into your home so saying don't leave a note on a unlocked door is not a guarntee that you still won't come out of the shower to see the same thing this guy did. If nobody else was at home, I would probably try and shut the bathroom door and try and barracade myself in the bathroom, material stuff ain't worth taking the chance of this guy having a gun. Many people who live in big cities or high crime areas always lock the front door behind them as well as the car doors, it is second nature, but those of us that live in small towns, simply are not in this practice. I am not saying we shouldn't because crime is everywhere nowadays, but I know I seldom lock my truck when running into WalMart or Lowes and seeing a car with the windows down or doors unlocked with keys in the ignition is just common. It is sad that we need to be prisoners in our own home!!
Old January 10, 2007, 07:32 AM   #8
Trapp

Quote:
It is sad that we need to be prisoners in our own home!!
I agree. I live on the wild side and leave the doors OPEN with the screens shut to let the breeze go through my house. It doesn't matter what I am doing........
Old January 10, 2007, 09:25 AM   #9
threegun

Anytime my door is unlocked I am armed.
Old January 10, 2007, 10:58 AM   #10
p-t-max

“...taking a gun with you in the bathroom while you take a shower is paranoid...” NCHornet

I don’t live in a bad neighborhood, and I’m not paranoid, nor do I live in constant fear of being invaded. But I live in the real world, where home invasion robberies are becoming more and more common, and it just makes sense. When you’re pre-occupied in the bathroom taking a shower or taking care of “personal” business, that’s the PERFECT TIME for a home invasion robbery. We’re all potential victims. We don’t get to choose when we get hit, or if. All we can choose is whether or not we’ll be prepared. This story is a real world example that validates my point This fellow was in total Condition White. He made the condition worse by leaving the door unlocked and posting a note inviting the thief into his unguarded home. It is reasonable to expect to be safe in our homes. It just isn’t totally realistic any more. So adjust, be wise, be watchful and be prepared, don’t just be sad. This poor deacon made an unfortunate mistake of trusting in his luck and the kindness of a criminal. Let us all learn from it.

I'm no expert, I'm just, well, opinionated!
Old January 10, 2007, 11:30 AM   #11
Baba Louie

Quote:
...but I cant really fault the guy for assuming he'd be safe within that 20 minute window
Do you still feel the same now?
I'll bet your deacon never ever leaves the front door unlocked with a note on it saying "Y'all Come on in" in the future. A hard way to learn a lesson, but some people's kids are different than others when it comes to trusting mankind.

Ever since I was a kid and watched Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho", I've been a little leery of taking showers alone

Almost makes me think it worthwhile to buy one of those little S&W 317 airlites (10oz) and adding a lanyard for a soap on a rope while in the shower sorta thing to add to my toiletries kitbag

Hey, even a .22 is better when naked and dripping wet than trying to frap a knife wielding badguy with my towel or bopping him with a soap on a rope.

So, while that particular picture isn't a pretty one to conjur up (but kinda funny in a sick way), I'll stick to keeping my door locked and no notes, please.

Hope your deacon recovers with minimal damage to his body or psyche.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old January 10, 2007, 11:52 AM   #12
threefivesevenmag

Layers.

The home is like anything else.

The defense must come in layers.

Here are some layers:

1. Good dead bolts (that don't have a manual unlocking mechanism)
2. Better door frame to co-exist with dead bolts
3. Better door without large windows
4. An alarm system
5. A good watch dog
6. Good window locks that might use keys
7. Motion lights (for night time)
8. Several places a gun can be stored securely for only the owner's use
9. Door jams (if inside the home)
10. Portable/cell phones in reach

These are just a few. My home was robbed once, and it has left a lasting impression on me. We had a good watch dog, and she protect much of our valuables and was unharmed (thank god).

Having a gun near you in the bathroom is not being paranoid. It is a concious choice a person has made. Is it for everyone? No, but neither is owning a firearm. Do not fault anyone for it.

So, being prepared with "layers" before hand will help prevent...not always stop...potential threats outside one's home.
Old January 10, 2007, 12:03 PM   #13
Thekatar

When I shower alone all of the entry doors are locked and the bedroom door leading to the shower is locked. My Glock and or my AR carbine are in Condition 1 nearby.

People are usually called "paranoid" until something terrible happens.
Old January 10, 2007, 12:17 PM   #14
Duxman

Wow. Glad your friend survived.

First - instead of leaving door unlocked, I would either -
1) call my friend and tell him to let me know when he is close (via cell).
2) tell my friend where the hidden key is so he can let himself in.

Otherwise my bulldog will be happy to greet any BG who enters the home unannounced.
Old January 10, 2007, 12:51 PM   #15
Wisby

This is something I would do minus the note.

I'm not over security consience...

The only thing I would have done different is I would have ran for my bedroom pistol if I was still moving besides run back to the bathroom.
SSBN 733 USS Nevada (24 of the biggest guns made)
Old January 10, 2007, 05:37 PM   #16
GalilARM

"...but I cant really fault the guy for assuming he'd be safe within that 20 minute window"

I guess what I meant was that I'm sure he was thinking he'd be alright in that 15-20 minute time period, and even though the odds of something bad happening were slim, they happened, and hopefully now he will never make the same mistake again....I wouldnt have left my door unlocked, but I'm glad he made it at least...
Old January 10, 2007, 05:42 PM   #17
Crosshair

Quote:
Either give him what he wants or pray he doesn't hurt you.
He did what the robber wanted and still got stabbed. So that doesn't always work.
Old January 10, 2007, 06:33 PM   #18
skeeter1

When I'm home, all of the doors are locked. It's a shame that it's come to that, but that's the way it is. I've had some of the local juvies try to get into my house. I really don't want to shoot a kid.

A big dog is probably still the best option. I can't imagine someone breaking into my buddy's house with his 100lb Doberman in there.
Old January 10, 2007, 10:43 PM   #19
Speer

I lived on a crummy street for years, and had 3 pit bulls to watch the house. One of the local drug dealers told me the kids in the area were afraid of my dogs, and they wouldn't risk touching my house. Anyway, no matter where I live, I keep my doors/windows locked at all times. It just ain't worth the risk.
Old January 11, 2007, 05:59 PM   #20
Dwight55

If there is someone else in the house when I head for the shower, . . . they have the responsibility for alert in case of trouble.

If I'm alone, . . . one of my handguns goes into the bathroom with me, . . . and I always do a little "stop and listen" before I exit the bathroom. There should not be any sounds in my house if I am the only one there.

So far, . . . there hasn't been , . . . and I would never, never, ever, ever, get into the shower with a note on my unlocked front door that whoever sees it can just walk in. That is just not a smart thing to do where I live.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!